Trailer experts - need more advice - the move is near!

Comments

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,217 Senior Member
    Teach said:

Your trailer needs to be loaded with approximately 10% of its gross weight on the hitch ball.  Your load leveler hitch will transfer that weight equally to all four wheels of the tow vehicle if it's set up properly.  Be careful that you don't overdo the weight transfer, as it can take too much load off the drive axle and cause the trailer to push the tow rig sideways during a stop with the vehicle in a slight turn.  That gets downright frightening, and can result in a jackknife situation you can't recover from.  If the trailer starts to sway, resist the urge to nail the brake pedal- - - -it only makes things worse.  Lock down HARD on the trailer brake manual control and give the tow vehicle full throttle to pull the trailer back in line.  It's counter-intuitive to do that, but it works.  Once the sway stops, then gently come to a straight stop and check your skivvies for stinky lumps! THEN PUT MORE WEIGHT ON THE TOUNGE Adjust the sensitivity on the brake control so you can almost, but not quite lock up the trailer brakes with the manual knob.

Jerry

Been there done that. Not a good feeling when you can see the rear axel in the middle of the yellow wheel, left and right sides intermittently, in either rear view mirror and the trailer is doing its best to haul you off the road by the hitch.

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 1,921 Senior Member
    Towed my car trailer from Lower California to central North Dakota (1850 miles) with the explorer on it and wife filled it with everything she could with my 2000 tundra and only problem I had was one hill in Montana. Had to slow down for a truck about half way up and couldn't get it over 25 mph until I reached the top. With trailer brakes stopping was never a problem. Bed of truck was full also, probably about 400 pounds worth.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 30,139 Senior Member
    Remember you gotta stop at state line weigh stations........once in the 70s I was pulling a U-Haul behind a 69 Buick Skylark heading from FLA to Fort Riley Kansas and got chased down on some back road in GA by a cop and had to open the trailer up and show him the contents. Just a table and chairs and household stuff.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Be safe and I hope you have a good uneventful journey.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,338 Senior Member
           You got this.  You're way over thinking it, but, that's your thing.  Have all your fluids changed, you'll be good to go.  Keep the rear tires aired up to max, not so much in the front.  The pic looks like you need to raise your hitch some more, to keep the trailer as level as possible.  I assume it'll drop more as you load it.

Everyone else has good advice, keep the tongue weighted.  If you run overdrive or not, your cruising speed needs to be such that you're running 1800+ rpm, 2000 is better.  To keep the transmission pump running at full capacity.
    I've driven the drive a few times, I much prefer I 90 to I 70, or I 80.
    I think it's a much easier drive, easier on the truck.
    I absolutely despise driving across Kansas.

Just in case, get a set of spare fuses.  There's nothing more frustrating that having your trailer lights or brakes go out because of a 50 cent fuse.  Sometimes trailers do funky things.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,598 Senior Member
    edited April 16 #37
    jbohio said:
           You got this.  You're way over thinking it, but, that's your thing.  Have all your fluids changed, you'll be good to go.  Keep the rear tires aired up to max, not so much in the front.  The pic looks like you need to raise your hitch some more, to keep the trailer as level as possible.  I assume it'll drop more as you load it.

Everyone else has good advice, keep the tongue weighted.  If you run overdrive or not, your cruising speed needs to be such that you're running 1800+ rpm, 2000 is better.  To keep the transmission pump running at full capacity.
    I've driven the drive a few times, I much prefer I 90 to I 70, or I 80.
    I think it's a much easier drive, easier on the truck.
    I absolutely despise driving across Kansas.

Just in case, get a set of spare fuses.  There's nothing more frustrating that having your trailer lights or brakes go out because of a 50 cent fuse.  Sometimes trailers do funky things.
    Thanks for the input.  I agree on raising the hitch one more increment, and I have been considering it for a while.  I am installing a sway control today as well, and that will likely be my final adjustment.  I don't think I will have any trouble front loading the trailer and having enough tongue weight.  One thing I do not like about this setup is there is 3 feet behind the rear axle, but 6 feet in front of them plus two feet in the v nose.  It will be easy to overweight it forward, and of course I don't want that, either.   I am still considering my route.  I want it to be a fun drive, not just work, but I also want to avoid elevation changes.  If I go through Pensacola, then up 55 to route 29 I think I avoid a lot more of the elevation changes of going through Chattanooga. It looks like route 80 through Salt Lake City, to 84 is a good route for me, as 90 is further north, although going through Bozeman and that area is awesome.  I might go 90...  Thanks for the suggestion.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    What, no graphs and charts of your planned trip? Puzzled animated emoticon
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 516 Senior Member

If you are worried about the rear of your truck sagging these are a good solution:

http://timbren.com/blog/products-page/tortun4/

They are helper springs that are an easy bolt-on replacement for your bump stops.  They only come into play when heavily loaded, so unloaded your ride is unaffected.  This is what it looks like on my 2010 GMC Canyon:

I like the bump stops.  I took the time this morning to raise the hitch height another 1.5 inches and install the sway control, and took some pictures.  I think the rig is good.  Field report in four weeks.  
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    Well every state is different on gross weight and having to stop at weigh stations. Looks like many don't for rental trucks and trailers unless it is an agricultural inspection station.
    I don't see horse trailers and U-haul-yer-arse- outta- here trailers stopping come to think of it.

http://www.fdot.gov/maintenance/motorcarrierqa.shtm

https://www.movinglabor.com/blog/do-i-need-to-stop-at-weigh-stations-with-a-rental-truck

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 8,971 Senior Member
    Only advice I can put out is to stay the hell out of the left lane.

Outside that, have a good trip!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 13,757 Senior Member
    Oh, if you don't all ready have them.... towing mirrors! Any time I buy another truck, I automatically buy a set of towing mirrors to go with it.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,878 Senior Member
    Oh, if you don't all ready have them.... towing mirrors! Any time I buy another truck, I automatically buy a set of towing mirrors to go with it.
    YES! I can’t believe I forgot to mention tow mirrors. There are some decent strap on ones. The strap ons are ugly but you can see around the trailer, that makes life better. 
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    I wouldn't even bother with the strap ons (:slowpitch:). I don't think I have ever paid more than $150 for a set of real mirrors-- even powered ones.
    I wouldn't even bother with the strap ons (:slowpitch:). I don't think I have ever paid more than $150 for a set of real mirrors-- even powered ones.
    I have looked for mirrors for my 2005 Tundra but have not found any that fit well or are rated well.  I would like a suggestion for sure!
    Tow mirrors may not have been an option for a 2005 Tundra. Plus Toyota stuff is high rent anyway. Strap on may be the only viable option. 
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 5,950 Senior Member

Strap on may be the only viable option. 
    On this forum, you said that!

cjp wrote: »

..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »

...But seriously Shush....

shush said:

Strap on tow mirrors, get your mind out of the gutter. 

Dan the strap on mirrors I have stay put and have a nice large mirror. The only problem I had with them is on two lane roads, sometimes when a tractor trailer passes the opposite direction the wind will collapse my factory power mirror. 

I will get out to the trailer tonight and try to find a name and model. 
    Dad 5-31-13
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 5,950 Senior Member
    shush said:

Strap on tow mirrors, get your mind out of the gutter. 

Sorry dad.

cjp wrote: »

..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »

...But seriously Shush....

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,384 Senior Member
    I bet you can find a camera you can mount on the back of the trailer for not much $$.
    And no, I haven' looked. I'm not good at.finding stuff.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 928 Senior Member
    edited April 18 #52
    I made a similar move to Texas from New England in February.  Like you, I though about it before I tried to tow a heavy Uhaul over mountain (East Coast Style).

1) Take your truck to a local scale and get your real numbers.  Later, take the truck and trailer separately.  Work off those numbers.  Most truck stops or RV dealers will have a certified scale.

2)  If the tongue weight is under 500lbs (on my truck at least), a WDH is not necessary.  If the total towed weight is under 5,000 lbs, you can probably use a lighter “normal” hitch which should save you some weight.

3) Worksheets are our friends:  http://www.diehlford.com/images/pdf/Towing-Capability-Calculator-for-F-Series-Trucks-in-Stock.pdf

4) Your valuables are going to be in the trailer. Don’t trust it to a crappy MasterLock ( see YouTube videos)   Invest in the biggest/best Abus or Abloy Padlock that will fit in your hasp.  If you buy (and later sell) one on FleaBay, you net cost will be very low. 

Have you considered adding temporary tow mirrors for the trip.  When we were driving, the lack of a center rear view mirror for three days was strange.
    btw - nice rig, but mine is prettier.  😀😀😀🙄
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,338 Senior Member
    BigDanS said:
     I want it to be a fun drive, not just work, but I also want to avoid elevation changes.  If I go through Pensacola, then up 55 to route 29 I think I avoid a lot more of the elevation changes of going through Chattanooga. It looks like route 80 through Salt Lake City, to 84 is a good route for me, as 90 is further north, although going through Bozeman and that area is awesome.  I might go 90...  Thanks for the suggestion.

D
    I hope you do have fun!  I really like the vibe on I 90.  I 80 is "the truckers road" and it can be trying.  I 90 is more flat, and more vacationers, campers, sight seers.  Easy going, imho.  Bozeman, Sheridan, love them.  I'd just keep going up 55, to Peoria, then to 74, then catch 61 at Davenport,  to I 90 at Lacrosse.   We went that way to Yellowstone, I really enjoyed that drive.  Pretty easy pulling our 5th wheel.  So much better than I 70.
    BigDanS said:

A note to others, moving, my homeowners policy covers my contents in the trailer, but it is unclear what happens if the trailer is stolen.  I have asked for a clarification from the insurance company.  If the trailer is on your property and is stolen it is covered, and contents.  It is clearly stated that if it is damaged or stolen while moving they are not liable.  I have Geico coverage for that.  I am trying to make sure the contents are also insured.  

D
    You should be able to make the insurance thing work out.  Make sure you send something in writing “asking” for contents coverage in transit and the agent confirming coverage.  

GEICO is a good company, but a “real” agent can be invaluable in situations like yours.

I don’t know these guys, but a local Florida agent should be able to hook you up with something similar. 

http://www.flhins.com/commercial-products/coverage-for-your-business/trailer-insurance

These are the strap ons I have Dan. The only name I could find on them was Qick Action. They have held up to three years of use and general neglect extremely well. 
    Dad 5-31-13
    Wow. I tried Amazon and I guess they don't sell any regular trailer mirrors for a 2005 Tacoma. I can find them for Chevy, Ford, and GMC all day long.

Strap ons are fine I guess. I wouldn't want to drive cross country without trailer mirrors. You definitely want to do this. It really sucks without them.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,139 Senior Member
    edited April 18 #59
    May 9th? Last week they closed I80 for a blizzard in western Nebraska eastern Wyoming. The wind has been bad this year! They close I25/I80 to high profile vehicles about every 10 days or so.... it should straighten out by then though. Safe travels! Let me know when your in Cheyenne, it’s just 25 miles up the road.  
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,139 Senior Member
    I80 through Nebraska is fine. Into Wyoming you’ll climb. Between Cheyenne and Laramie Wyoming is the highest point on I80 at 8600 feet you drop from there to Laramie at 7200 feet in about 10 miles...... 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,580 Senior Member
    Also, Hilly around SLC, Diving across the salt flats is BORING, Donner pass is a "booger"
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file