Is this the cutest ever!!!

2»

Replies

• FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,377 Senior Member
    NO! Just NO!   My kids learned to shoot with a red rider BB gun and I made the stock myself as the plastic one was too long. Then the got a real 22.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,351 Senior Member
    cpj..........
    "But here's the deal. I won't change your mind, and you won't change mine. I think you're a stubborn ass, and you think I'm an ass hole. Works for me." 👍
    Double Thumbs Up animated emoticon   Good job animated emoticon  Truism.  Gotta love them both, though.

Gene would argue with the Devil... never met him, and cpj is just well......cpj. Actually in person cpj is a nice well mannered young man.......especially in Mrs Mary's kitchen!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,695 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    cpj said:
    Gene L said:
    And?  But a Cricket is not a deer rifle.  Is there anything wrong with learning the basics on an open sight?
    Is there anything wrong with learning with a red dot sight? A sco
    Yes.
    Why Gene?
    That gun is made for a young person. If they are not having fun and enjoying their shooting experience the gun will sit in a safe/closet collecting dust and they will do their shooting in video games instead.
    Let them try different methods and let them choose what they find enjoyable.
    Safety and gun handling are the only part of shooting that needs to be regimental
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,635 Senior Member
    What I see is a free floating barrel and good support, and adjustability with a peep sight.  The package might look odd to traditionalists, but I would much rather teach good fit and accuracy than just operations and so so accuracy.  I think any kid learning with that rig should be shooting two inch groups at 50 yards with standard ammo shooting prone or from a bench, with a little time and practice.  I like it.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,901 Senior Member
    My oldass still rides a Harley & friends have Honda ...... I still ride with them.
    Same with guns I don't care what you shoot or what it looks like ......I will shoot with you.
    If we all thought change was bad we would all have black powder guns. It's all in the eye of the owner. I try to respect others likes. ( was brought up that way )
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,196 Senior Member
    Amazing.  I can probably start a fight in this place by posting a picture of a jar of peanut butter...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,213 Senior Member
    Generic is as goog as Jiffy🐒
    Amazing.  I can probably start a fight in this place by posting a picture of a jar of peanut butter...
    I don't think that pre-mixed P&J ever took off as a big seller..........I never bought any.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,476 Senior Member
    Generic is as goog as Jiffy🐒
    Now you done it!!!!!

How in the world can you possibly believe that Jiff is as bad as generic!! You, sir, are dead to me. Dead to me!
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,980 Senior Member
    edited April 15 #41
    cpj said:
    And funny enough, I've seen a good number of grownass men who "learned the right way", on classics with open sights, who never used a rest because real men don't need one, miss the hell out of some deer. 

So have I. In fact, I was one of them, when I was young. As I got older, I decided I would never again shoot at an animal and wonder if I hit it. It was about the same time that I quit having episodes of buck fever. It wan't as exciting, but it was much more satisfying.

These days, I use a front and rear rest. I wait for a high percentage shot, fire one shot, then kick back and light up a cigar. Fifteen or twenty minutes later, I go find my deer, usually within 50 yards of the shot, often, a lot less.

I have known several men, mostly infantry veterans, usually farm boys, that were absolutely deadly with iron sights and shooting offhand. But, I never could quite measure up to that, so I adapted to what I could do, and called it good.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,505 Senior Member
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 412 Member
    The one guys replies sound like the libs that say we don’t need AR15’s. Look where that’s getting us as a nation with 2A rights (for now). I guess some old dogs can’t be taught new tricks. Either way you skin it, it’s a bullet down a barrel.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,196 Senior Member
    I'll champion anyone's right to an opinion and will respect it regardless of my own thoughts on the matter.  I have even learned one or two things from folks who thought differently from me.

I tend to frown on those who want to force their opinions and choices on me or the population in general...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    The one guys replies sound like the libs that say we don’t need AR15’s. Look where that’s getting us as a nation with 2A rights (for now). I guess some old dogs can’t be taught new tricks. Either way you skin it, it’s a bullet down a barrel.
    It's not at all similar to the ones who want to ban the ARs.  I think you're bringing up that straw man argument by using key words and phrases that have no merit outside the context of your message.  I'm not saying ban the cricket, I'm saying for every one of those Frankenguns, we get one step further from our roots.  And roots are important to me.  If not to you you have my sympathy.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    I personally don't like the look of it and wouldn't have one, but hope they sell so many they can't keep up with the orders.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,608 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    It's not at all similar to the ones who want to ban the ARs.  I think you're bringing up that straw man argument by using key words and phrases that have no merit outside the context of your message.  I'm not saying ban the cricket, I'm saying for every one of those Frankenguns, we get one step further from our roots.  And roots are important to me.  If not to you you have my sympathy.
    Here's what you need to realize. 
    Your roots aren't my roots. My roots aren't my kids roots. My kids roots won't be my grandkids roots. 
    At one time, there was a grumpy ass old man who was bitching about the new fangled cartridge rifles.  Complaining that they would be wasting bullets because they could load them a lot faster than a muzzle loader. Complaining that people have gotten further from their roots. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,550 Senior Member
    If someone wants one of those then I'm all for them buying it. But it isn't for me. The price is just way too high for what you're getting.  The standard rifles can be fitted with a bipod and scope, and for a LOT less money.

And for hunting, even squirrel hunting, I use a scope because I can precisely place a shot using one. That's the WHOLE purpose of using a scope, be it 0 power or a mini Hubble telescope. And for hunting I use a rest even if it's nothing more than my knee.

Shooting with open V-U notch or peep sights is O.K. and fun, but I use a scope when hunting, because the animal deserves nothing less than a quick clean kill. A scope allows me to do that.

If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,010 Senior Member
    NO
    I have a need for speed
    Give new meaning to the phrase I oft use...........Go Hug A Root.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,550 Senior Member
    Feuer frei!
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

Well now I know who the argumentative codger is now. You even tried to degrade the use of a scope. I guess people should throw away their eyeglasses too huh?
    cpj said:
    Gene L said:
    Here's what you need to realize. 
    Your roots aren't my roots. My roots aren't my kids roots. My kids roots won't be my grandkids roots. 
    At one time, there was a grumpy ass old man who was bitching about the new fangled cartridge rifles.  Complaining that they would be wasting bullets because they could load them a lot faster than a muzzle loader. Complaining that people have gotten further from their roots. 
    No one's roots are identical to anyone else outside their age group, but there is a common thread in passing along some of our roots that seems to be largely forgotten.  A sport without a history or tradition will soon fail, and merely putting a bullet downrange is only part of that tradition.   Which is missing in so many instances today and why kids spend so much time playing video games and not enough time outdoors.

You might want to buy one; go ahead.  With all the plastic disdain on this board, I expected a wood and steel preference to be at least understood, if not endorsed.
    Well now I know who the argumentative codger is now. You even tried to degrade the use of a scope. I guess people should throw away their eyeglasses too huh?
    If that is directed toward me, please point out where I degraded the use of a scope.  I may have degraded the use of a bipod for squirrel hunting, but never a scope.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Gene L said:
    What ever happened to open sight shooting instead of scopes and MOA without one. 
    There you go.
    Gene L said:
    What ever happened to open sight shooting instead of scopes and MOA without one. 
    There you go.
    You're wrong.  Asking a question promoting open sights is in no way denigrating scopes.  I've got both and like both, but I'm glad I learned to shoot with iron sights.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,213 Senior Member
    The rifle pictured in the OP shows iron sights.

Just sayin🏃
  • shooter10mmshooter10mm Member Posts: 215 Member
    I have never used open sights until I bought an AR that didn't have them and took it to the range.  My first Daisy had a cheap scope on it and I learned to slay everything with it I could.  I feel like it hadn't hindered me at all in becoming quite the shooter....With the earned titles.  So I see the Cricket precision rifle as a GREAT gateway to modern sporting arms!!!
    "You miss 100% of the shots you do not take!"
    "As long as there's Lead in the air there's hope!
    " -- Ralph Adkinson(Daddy) The original Marlboro Man
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file