Hunt/cull report.

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 7,357 Senior Member
Got back on tuesday from a 7 day goat cull /hunting trip. Some of you may remember last years trip with pics of the steep terrain...... well, it was just as steep this year.
Here is a pic to give you some idea of the country.

I damn near fell over backwards when I took the second pic!!!

Here are pics of 3 Billy's we ambushed. We had seen them about a kilometre away and decided to stalk in on them. When we finished stalking we were only about 70m away so BH and I decided to try and synchronize our first shots.
It went something like this..........

BH. 'Have you got a shot?' ( whispering)
Me. 'Yep, how about you?'
BH."Yep. Ok, I will count backwards from 3 and we shoot on one"
Me. 'Ok'
'Three............Two'..........BANG! (as I squeezed the trigger) BH lost his 'shot' as his target moved.......and I anticipated the 'one' and sent a 50gr out of the Sako 222. There was a bit of a mad scramble as the goats panicked, but we recovered and all three were down.
Then the argument started..........
(BH.) ' I didnt say 'one' you idiot.
Me. Dont call me an idiot.
' Well, why did you shoot'
'I anticipated the 'one'.
'You were supposed to wait for the 'one' then shoot damnit'
'Thats not what you said'
'Yes I did'
'No you didnt'
The discussion lasted a good deal longer and included words that cant be repeated in print cos, quite frankly. I dont know how to spell some of them lol.......
Anyway, the stalk was successful so I dont know why he was complaining......

Later that day we sat on the deck with our 22's and worked out an infallible system so that we could synchronize our shooting better.
It took a while and about 200rounds but we got it down pat...........and over the next 7 days we never got to try it for real cos the situation didnt arise.

Day 2 we decided to build a new meat 'safe' so we spent all afternoon fabricoddling one up out of the limited materials at hand.
Here is the finished article.....

We got it to the point where we only had to make a tin roof for it ...........but decided to finish it the following day and elected to go for an afternoon hunt.
I decided to take the Tikka 243 and BH had his Sako75 in 7mm08.
After riding the quad to a suitable lookout we each took a side of the ridge and started glassing.I immediately saw a Rusa Stag laying up in the afternoon sun. I had to look twice cos I couldnt believe it!
I backed away and whispered to BH and we both snuck to a vantage point where we proceeded to discuss our options.
Range to the Stag was 173m and he was sitting facing away from us with his head turned to his right. During the whole time ( about 2mins) while we observed him he didnt move a muscle. We decided that he would be a good 'meat animal' to take so I found a steady rest, lined up the Tikka and after shaking off the jitters ( This was my first Rusa Stag) I sent a Remington Factory 80gr projectile on its way. Point of hold was centre of neck halfway between his head and shoulder.

At the shot ( BH was watching through his binos) his head flopped to one side and we both heard the thump of a good solid hit. The stag leapt to his feet however and ran a few steps before heading down a steep ravine............but as he started to disappear from sight we both saw him stumble and watched his progress by the trees he hit as he fell. We located him a short time later stone dead hanging precariously in a steep gut. Distance travelled was only about 25-30m.
Rusa Stags can weigh up to 230+ lb and he was a mature animal. There was no way we could carry him out so while BH went to bring the quad closer, I started to take his 'wheels' off. Every cut I made caused him to slide further down the hill, but Bh came back with a rope and we tied him to the nearest tree while we finished cutting him up. Front /back legs and backsteaks made a fairly hefty load and took us a few trips to get them back to the top of the ridge.( Didnt have my camera with me so no pics of him whole).

When we got back to camp we hung the meat in the new meat safe and settled down to a cold beer. I was over the moon. First Rusa, a mature stag and a good head to boot...........( although he was still in velvet)

One lesson I did learn is that not all deer are the same anatomically. My hold was intended to hit bone, but on Rusa the neck bone is quite high. The bullet passed completely through the neck, missing the bone by about 1/4 of an inch, severed his main arteries, his windpipe/oesophagus and passed out the other side.

Here is a pic of his head.

Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,357 Senior Member
    Here is a pic of where he was sitting.......above the pile of grey wood in the centre of the pic and slightly to the left is a smaller clearing. The shot was downhill somewhat.

After hanging the meat for a couple of days we bolted a sheet of ply to the back of the quad loaded up the generator and the vacuum packer and set up a processing station next to the meat safe. BH skinned out the legs, I then boned them out and cut them into steaks and he vacuum packed them. We then stored them in a freezer, which, although it didnt freeze them solid, kept them cool for the duration of our stay.

Here is a pic of our processing 'plant'.

The end result...........( the pic only shows about a third of what we ended up with)

The remainder of our stay consisted of scouring the hills for goats during the day and spending a couple of nights out with spotlights dealing to and devastating the local possum/rabbit/Hare population.

Here are a couple of pics of one of our possums BH shot.

Once again we had a ball. BH is a great guy to spend time with 'on the hill' and the banter that flew between us was priceless.............And boy, can that guy shoot.

A couple more pics of the head........

We both agreed that 'going bush' for a week was just what we needed to get the stench of city life out of our systems and we plan to be back there as soon as we can.

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,071 Senior Member
    Nice hunt and pics!

BTW, I did not think it was possible, but your possums are uglier than ours.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,636 Senior Member
    Thanks for the hunt story and pics.....as l sit here buried under 6 new inches of snow....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,040 Senior Member
    Thanks for the pics and story, Alec.  Sounds like you had a great time.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,068 Senior Member
    Excellent!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,651 Senior Member
    Well done Alec, thanks for sharing......robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,773 Senior Member
    Great story
    I have a need for speed
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,617 Senior Member
    Any day all of yours come home happy and you can display the severed heads of your enemies is a good day!

And I've learned a new word today - "Fabricoddle".  Not sure if it will make it from the Kiwi redneck lexicon to the American one, but I'm gonna give it a try.  Just to make sure. . .did you perhaps mean "Fabri-COBBLE"?   :D

Your possums are considerably less ugly than ours!
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,925 Senior Member
    Looks like you and BH had a great time and a fine hunt! Getting out and staying in the wild places for a while is good for body and soul. And you got your first Rusa Stag, so that had to amp you up a bit! And a good memory to last a LONG time!

Your possums aren't uglier than ours, not by a long shot. Got to be some use for the fur. Looks like it would make some nice material for tying trout flies. Sell the tanned hides for a few dollars and have money to buy more .22 ammo!
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 656 Senior Member
    I wouldn't have waited for the spoken one either.
    😄🐐
    tennmike said:
    Looks like you and BH had a great time and a fine hunt! Getting out and staying in the wild places for a while is good for body and soul. And you got your first Rusa Stag, so that had to amp you up a bit! And a good memory to last a LONG time!

Your possums aren't uglier than ours, not by a long shot. Got to be some use for the fur. Looks like it would make some nice material for tying trout flies. Sell the tanned hides for a few dollars and have money to buy more .22 ammo!
    They had some of those possum hides at the fly shop last time I was there....underfur looks like it would make good dubbing....
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,464 Senior Member
    Awesome, Thanks for sharing the experience
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,403 Senior Member
    I love your stories... 
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,835 Senior Member
    edited April 9 #15
    orchidman said:
    Here is a pic of where he was sitting.......above the pile of grey wood in the centre of the pic and slightly to the left is a smaller clearing. The shot was downhill somewhat.

After hanging the meat for a couple of days we bolted a sheet of ply to the back of the quad loaded up the generator and the vacuum packer and set up a processing station next to the meat safe. BH skinned out the legs, I then boned them out and cut them into steaks and he vacuum packed them. We then stored them in a freezer, which, although it didnt freeze them solid, kept them cool for the duration of our stay.

Here is a pic of our processing 'plant'.

The end result...........( the pic only shows about a third of what we ended up with)

The remainder of our stay consisted of scouring the hills for goats during the day and spending a couple of nights out with spotlights dealing to and devastating the local possum/rabbit/Hare population.

Here are a couple of pics of one of our possums BH shot.

Once again we had a ball. BH is a great guy to spend time with 'on the hill' and the banter that flew between us was priceless.............And boy, can that guy shoot.

A couple more pics of the head........

We both agreed that 'going bush' for a week was just what we needed to get the stench of city life out of our systems and we plan to be back there as soon as we can.

That thing almost looks like a cross between a moose and a deer.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,752 Senior Member
    Dude, you guys have one helluva setup!  Great story and great work!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    How many goats did you guys take?
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,040 Senior Member
    I had never heard of a Rusa deer until I read this post.  I did a google search on them, and discovered they are big deer.  I suspect they're right tasty, too.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,814 Senior Member
    Well done, my friend :worthy:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Thanks guys for the comments.
    Bh and I cut back on the weaponry this year and limited ourselves to one 22 and a couple of centrefires. Both my 7mm08 and BH's 300 Winmag never got an outing. The 222's got a workout and my 243 and his 7mm08 were our 'go to' rifles.
    Zee said:
    How many goats did you guys take?
    Didnt keep an exact tally, but in excess of 100 goats were culled by 4 of us. The last cull was well over 150 and the population didnt look like it had recovered ( which was the object of the cull).

Most of the area was cutover pine forest last year, this year the weeds and scrub made it difficult to locate big mobs as it limited visibility.

We might be planning another trip in a few months..........the middle of winter down there is cold and it would make a change.
    I had never heard of a Rusa deer until I read this post.  I did a google search on them, and discovered they are big deer.  I suspect they're right tasty, too.
    Some say they are the best tasting deer.........Had some steak the other night and it rivals Fallow which in my opinion is top of the heap.
    Brought the head back and hung it in a tree to let it clean up itself. Will prob do a skull mount.
    Mann, that would be worth the trip. 
    Zee said:
    Mann, that would be worth the trip. 
    Imagine all that 'science' just wandering the hills. lol.
    You have an open invitation.
    Exactly!!
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,072 Senior Member
    I think your possums are kinda cute. Unlike our ratlike ones with slick tails. 
    Of course, I guess I should have quoted your post of the picture of the possum, just in case someone reading the thread missed it the first time. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    cpj said:
    Of course, I guess I should have quoted your post of the picture of the possum, just in case someone reading the thread missed it the first time. 
    That there is some funny stuff....
    edited April 11 #27
    Jayhawker said:
    tennmike said:

They had some of those possum hides at the fly shop last time I was there....underfur looks like it would make good dubbing....
    Possum fur is in demand and prices range from $8-$20 depending on the colour and quality.
    We have never bothered to get into skinning and processing them however.......

But, judging by the prices for possum fur items it may be worth considering. However, I would probably be more interested in assisting in the sales department as a consultant and helping female buyers choose the right size............

https://www.silverfernz.com/new-zealand-possum-fur-nipple-warmers.htm

orchidman said:
    Jayhawker said:
    tennmike said:

Possum fur is in demand and prices range from $8-$20 depending on the colour and quality.
    We have never bothered to get into skinning and processing them however.......

But, judging by the prices for possum fur items it may be worth considering. However, I would probably be more interested in assisting in the sales department as a consultant and helping female buyers choose the right size............

https://www.silverfernz.com/new-zealand-possum-fur-nipple-warmers.htm

A pervert, even inverted, is still a pervert!

LOL!!!
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 639 Senior Member
    Just Seen this, Good job Alex
    Be duck shooting next.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    cpj said:
    Our Possums are down right gross! They look slimy as a rat!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file