Gina Haspel for CIA Director

bisleybisley Senior MemberPosts: 9,766 Senior Member
I like her.

Anybody who has that kind of universal support from the rank and file (and the big shots), must have been pretty good. Anyway, the Dems are being very hypocritical, as we have come to expect. They all approved Brennan, who was the No. 4 man at CIA during the waterboarding era, yet they are unable to support Haspel, who had no say over interrogation policy. She has nailed a few of them, on the facts, Feinstein among them. The only thing they have been able to make her squirm on is whether she thinks torture is immoral. Likely, she doesn't consider waterboarding to be torture, since no permanent damage is done, and it has only been used on three people (by CIA). She wisely does not let herself get drawn into that argument, though.

A funny question that no one has asked is:

Since she is now the acting director, due to Pompeio's confirmation as SecState, what if Trump simply does not nominate anyone else? He can just say that there is no one better to nominate, and just leave her in there as acting director. I think when they consider that carefully, they will go ahead and release enough Dem votes to confirm her.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 656 Senior Member
    She sounds qualified to me.

Some are trying to make a big deal out of her role in past torture methods of interrogation. It dosent seem relevant to me as the methods being focused on are presently illegal.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,464 Senior Member
    She sounds qualified to me.

Some are trying to make a big deal out of her role in past torture methods of interrogation. It dosent seem relevant to me as the methods being focused on are presently illegal.

The people asking the questions do not care. They are only attempting to stonewall a Trump appointee and she is making it very difficult for them.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 7,848 Senior Member
    This is just one of the typical political dances that go on in Washington. She will eventually be confirmed as soon as all the appropriate people get their turn at a bit of political grandstanding
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,176 Senior Member
    Remove the TV cameras and all this BS will go away. They all
    have to play to their ignorant base 
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,766 Senior Member
    This is just one of the typical political dances that go on in the Democrat Party. She will eventually be confirmed as soon as all the zaniest Democrats get their turn at a bit of political grandstanding.
    I fixed the quote for you. :)

Seriously, Republicans have let through most of the major appointments by Democrat presidents. I have raised hell with them for decades, for allowing the Supreme Court to be corrupted with leftists, and letting people like Brennan, and Clapper, or even Hilary Clinton into cabinet positions. Mainly, this is because establishment Republicans fear being called 'anti- woman,' but also because it used to be customary to let a newly elected President have his picks.

Besides, if all you want to do is keep your elected position, it's beneficial (and fun) to let the President appoint lightweights, so you can make derogatory jokes about their mistakes. Democrats used to be good at that, too, when they still understood humor. Now, you can't tell their jokes from their normal demagoguery.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file