Kayak advice, please?

2»

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,040 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    Having fished in both SOT and sit-in kayaks, I MUCH prefer the SOT for that. You're going to get wet with either after a while. Another thing about sit-in kayaks I HATE; if you get a leg cramp most of the sit-ins don't have anywhere near enough room to move to get the kink out. You can move around on a SOT to keep that from happening in the first place. And I can stand on my Hobie and fly fish; try THAT with a sit-in kayak and see how that works out for ya! :D

The only time I fished from a kayak was fly fishing, from a sit-in.  I didn't find it that difficult.  I was fishing a small lake with a very slight breeze blowing.

I even caught some fish.

I stand, or perhaps sit is a better word, corrected.  I have been doing a bit of research thanks to all of the info provided, and realize I was fishing from a SOT yak.  Shows to go you what I know.

I THINK my I was fishing from my buddy's Tarpon 120, best I can tell.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,254 Senior Member
    The question is to open ended. Its like saying "what gun is best."
    If you want a fishing raft, then the dedicated fishing SOT is the best way to go because they are rafts. If you want to go camping, then you want to look at expedition/touring/sea kayaks, if you want to bob around on a pond then a 300.00 Dunhams or Rural king will do.
    For a OVERALL do it all, a touring with a relatively flat bottom will do the job. You can fish, though not the best easiest to work out of, you can trip, though not the fastest and most efficient, and you can camp, though not the best load carrying.
    Getting stuck in s SINK is a silly excuse not to get one. You are to big for it if you cant get out, not the kayaks fault. When they go over, you take them off like a pair of shorts. I am 6' last time I went over I was 265, I didnt get stuck and I had a skirt on (no Zorba, not that kind) so I had to pull the skirt, and get out, not a big deal. Mine is a 17.5' expedition with a round bottom at 22" wide at the seat. You are SUPPOSED to wear the kayak. If it is not snug, then you cant edge it and you have a lot less paddle control because you paddle a SINK with your torso. They dont sink if you roll them because the storage compartments are water tight. The only thing that will flood is the cockpit. I carry a car wash sponge. Works great if I run through a wave.
    As to canoes, they are as uncomfortable as you make them. My Old Town has factory molded seats with adjustable backrests. My Grumman has home made backrests and uses padded stadium seats. I have seen my son and another scout asleep in them so I guess they are comfy enough.

Off the front of mine, a shot of the sons 15' touring. We are both loaded for 5 days unsupported primitive camping, tents, food, everything one needs, with folding directors chairs on the rear because I like to have a place to sit in the evening
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,925 Senior Member

You are to big for it if you cant get out, not the kayaks fault. When they go over, you take them off like a pair of shorts. I am 6' last time I went over I was 265, I didnt get stuck and I had a skirt on (no Zorba, not that kind) so I had to pull the skirt, and get out, not a big deal. Mine is a 17.5' expedition with a round bottom at 22" wide at the seat. You are SUPPOSED to wear the kayak. If it is not snug, then you cant edge it and you have a lot less paddle control because you paddle a SINK with your torso. They dont sink if you roll them because the storage compartments are water tight. The only thing that will flood is the cockpit. I carry a car wash sponge. Works great if I run through a wave.

Soooooo.................From what you've said there, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you've NEVER spent any time in a whitewater kayak. Those little round bottomed jewels of the river that will flip it you look crosswise at one. The paddle is used as much to keep you from flipping in rapids as it is to propel you. You 'put one on' like a pair of tight spandex shorts, and you cannot exit one with any speed so you have to know how to right one efficiently. Banging your head against rocks, even with a helmet, is no fun, and ya can't breathe water! :D There are no watertight compartments on one. It's a hollow hull with a barely adequate seat. Your knees are locked in by pads on the top half of the hull and your foot rests are adjusted to make sure that happens. If the skirt pops when you flip then you have a kayak full of water. Gallons and gallons of water. I got a 10 foot whitewater kayak you're welcome to try out on the Ocoee River.

I've fished out of that 10 foot whitewater kayak. It's possible, but not very much fun.
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

• horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,491 Senior Member
    For the 4 digit prices of some of those kayaks, you could book a cruise on a real liner.  
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,548 Senior Member
    The first warm day we had this last March, warm because of strong south wind- a guy was out on the lake on his kayak wearing his pfd who became the first death on the lake this year. Fish and game found him three days later. I vote canoe, I don’t use it in strong wind conditions, but admittedly I have little kayak experience to compare .
    https://www.amazon.com/Old-Town-Canoe-Molded-Backrest/dp/B0753ZHMC2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1526052821&sr=8-3&keywords=old+town+discovery+169&dpID=31YfJO10B2L&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

seat in old town
    tennmike said:

You are to big for it if you cant get out, not the kayaks fault. When they go over, you take them off like a pair of shorts. I am 6' last time I went over I was 265, I didnt get stuck and I had a skirt on (no Zorba, not that kind) so I had to pull the skirt, and get out, not a big deal. Mine is a 17.5' expedition with a round bottom at 22" wide at the seat. You are SUPPOSED to wear the kayak. If it is not snug, then you cant edge it and you have a lot less paddle control because you paddle a SINK with your torso. They dont sink if you roll them because the storage compartments are water tight. The only thing that will flood is the cockpit. I carry a car wash sponge. Works great if I run through a wave.

Soooooo.................From what you've said there, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you've NEVER spent any time in a whitewater kayak. Those little round bottomed jewels of the river that will flip it you look crosswise at one. The paddle is used as much to keep you from flipping in rapids as it is to propel you. You 'put one on' like a pair of tight spandex shorts, and you cannot exit one with any speed so you have to know how to right one efficiently. Banging your head against rocks, even with a helmet, is no fun, and ya can't breathe water! :D There are no watertight compartments on one. It's a hollow hull with a barely adequate seat. Your knees are locked in by pads on the top half of the hull and your foot rests are adjusted to make sure that happens. If the skirt pops when you flip then you have a kayak full of water. Gallons and gallons of water. I got a 10 foot whitewater kayak you're welcome to try out on the Ocoee River.

I've fished out of that 10 foot whitewater kayak. It's possible, but not very much fun.
    Sooo, you are still stuck in yours? You are taking a very specific use poorly fit yak and making it the end of your discussion. [quote]If you flip over, some of those sit in kayaks have you trapped like a rat with your legs stuck in the hull. Recovering is possible but not something to practice alone.  [/quote]
    Sorry HARDLY ANY kayak is so tight you cant get out of, and none should be. If it is, you are in the wrong boat. Again, its your fault if you cant get out of the boat you bought and operated, even a WW kayak. If it is that tight, you take out the brace and put in closed cell foam, or a different brace, or buy the right boat. How do I know this? Because mine was to tight, so I learned, then modded it to fit correctly. Sea kayaks and probably WW kayaks are not built for circus bear operators. My boat IS round bottomed, and I will bet that it is as narrow or narrower as your WW at 22in.

ww kayak, wet exit,  EXACTLY the same as getting out of a sea kayak. No one is stuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=29&v=YGec0tXBIzY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=41&v=Gx50LrkOw00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=146&v=Z0bhtlX4UQQ

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,648 Senior Member
    What Varmint says is true...even with a spray skirt in place, you are nowhere near trapped. 
    We practice rolling the boat, exiting and getting back into the boat regularly.... especially prior to going out on big water.
    AND
    If you know what you're doing, just roll back upright without exiting the boat

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,099 Senior Member
    Y'all can keep your strap on kayaks. I just spent three hours in sit on top ,made possible by the fact that I was able to change positions at will, and not being stuck in one posistion. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    If you had a good sink instead of a raft, you could have stayed out for another 5hand actual gone somewhere.
    ;)
    Jayhawker said:
    What Varmint says is true...even with a spray skirt in place, you are nowhere near trapped. 
    We practice rolling the boat, exiting and getting back into the boat regularly.... especially prior to going out on big water.
    AND
    If you know what you're doing, just roll back upright without exiting the boat

I wish I could roll. I need to find someone to teach me. I have tried finding the roll on my own, one of the reasons I am pretty good at the wet exit :)
    edited May 12 #43
    If you had a good sink instead of a raft, you could have stayed out for another 5hand actual gone somewhere.
    ;)
    Doesn't matter how comfortable a sink  is, it's ONE posistion. I have to move around a bit. 
    As far as going somewhere, why fight the white caps/15 mph winds to "go somewhere" when there was a brush pile 25 yards from the dock? Another within 50, and another yet probably 200.  But that one was down wind. 
    Zee
    Now. The sit in DOES have one big advantage. Just add a wide mouth plastic bottle, and you can piss in front of God and everybody and no one will know. 
    Zee
    Thats why you get a zippered skirt, fling it over the side

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,473 Senior Member
    Academy has kayaks on sale and flat 39.00 shipping
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,688 Senior Member
    Maybe you guys have FINALLY figured out the difference between a skirt and a dress?!?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 2,961 Senior Member
    Just lubed both my pedal drives this morning. Gonna hit the water this evening. What's funny, is after all that work, we may just use paddles 
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file