Future Tomahawk Project.

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,072 Senior Member
    They have arrived!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,473 Senior Member
    If I had one of those to throw I would get 20 of them ......then not have to walk back & forth so many times. Actually that is why I shoot guns & have a spotting scope no more trips than I have to. At one time I thought throwing knives was fun too .....not now.....they are in a box some place with all my other great ideas.
    These ain’t for throwing. 

Never made sense to me. Throwing away a perfectly good weapon. 
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,099 Senior Member
    Zee said:

Ummm, because it's fun? 
    Lets get real. You ain't carrying this for defense. These are for fun. This whole tactical tomahawk thing is **** **** bull ****. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 2,991 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    sakodude said:
    Zee said:
    sakodude said:
    Interesting project, I have the second of those two, might be fun to embellish it so.

Sako 
    How do you like it so far?
    to be honest it has not seen much use. my brother bought 2 and gave me one. We practiced throwing them a bit and were not that great at it. Mine lives with the knife collection now and his splits kindling wood.

Sako
    It's not all that hard to throw a hawk.... don't flip or snap your wrist when you release...and you have to figure out how many times your hawk rotates in a given distance.....mine was about 7 paces, give or take depending on which hawk I was throwing.  One of mine had quite an up-sweep on the top of the blade so even a miscalculation would stick...
    Oh, we were getting them to hit but not with great consistency. I suspect we were a bit ambitious with our distance.
    I'm sure with more practice we would figure it out but I kind of wanted to keep mine looking nice 
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,179 Senior Member
    edited May 14 #37
    cpj said:
    Zee said:

Ummm, because it's fun? 
    Lets get real. You ain't carrying this for defense. These are for fun. This whole tactical tomahawk thing is **** **** bull ****. 
    Speak for your self.
    To scale.

Axe Open Carry, the wave of the future.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,078 Senior Member
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,500 Senior Member
    edited May 14 #39
    I made at least 4 tomahawks in Machine Shop (and nun-chucks, and throwing knives/ Ningee Stars). They were a blast to throw. There was a 20'' dia oak behind our house that was devoid of bark. I got pretty good at it. Just like a bow or darts. Gotta practice.

Parents moved while I was stationed in Alaska and they all disappeared...... 
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,602 Senior Member
    I thought Zee shaved...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 672 Senior Member
    Here's Johnny!

Sorry;
    Carry on.👀
    Ok. That.........was funny. 
    edited May 14 #43

cpj said:
    Zee said:

Ummm, because it's fun? 
    Um, no.  Too many rocks around here. 

Not for defense. Utility. 

And a fun project. 

Don't throw them at rocks, doofus. 
    Zee
    You really don’t understand how many rocks are around here. Anything that hits the ground will be hitting a rock
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Zee said:
    Ok. That.........was funny. 
    ............ and also to scale
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    You really don’t understand how many rocks are around here. Anything that hits the ground will be hitting a rock
    Are there rocks embedded in a log that you're throwing into the end of? 

You can always tell a Texan. You just can't tell them much. 
    Zee
    In other words, you say just never miss, and make it stick every time. Gotcha. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoWc6WRHKEE
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Throwing hatchet. It's a concept. If you miss, you miss. It's a throwing hatchet. It ain't for shaving with. 
    Zee
    Jayhawker said:
    sakodude said:
    Zee said:
    sakodude said:
    Interesting project, I have the second of those two, might be fun to embellish it so.

Sako 
    to be honest it has not seen much use. my brother bought 2 and gave me one. We practiced throwing them a bit and were not that great at it. Mine lives with the knife collection now and his splits kindling wood.

Sako
    It's not all that hard to throw a hawk.... don't flip or snap your wrist when you release...and you have to figure out how many times your hawk rotates in a given distance.....mine was about 7 paces, give or take depending on which hawk I was throwing.  One of mine had quite an up-sweep on the top of the blade so even a miscalculation would stick...
    Oh, we were getting them to hit but not with great consistency. I suspect we were a bit ambitious with our distance.
    I'm sure with more practice we would figure it out but I kind of wanted to keep mine looking nice for display.

Sako 
    Jayhawker said:
    sakodude said:
    Zee said:
    sakodude said:

Sako 

Sako
    I'm sure with more practice we would figure it out but I kind of wanted to keep mine looking nice for display.

Sako 
    cpj said:
    Throwing hatchet. It's a concept. If you miss, you miss. It's a throwing hatchet. It ain't for shaving with. 
    Throw yours. Not mine. 
    Zee said:
    cpj said:
    Throw yours. Not mine. 
    I do. I beat it out of steel myself. 
    Zee
    cpj said:
    Zee said:
    cpj said:
    Throw yours. Not mine. 
    I do. I beat it out of steel myself. 
    The first one I made was a graded required project. It was as pretty as I could make it. The other three? I never even cleaned up the welds....
    I have been considering this “kit”l to make a tomahawk 
    https://www.knifekits.com/vcom/camp-hawk-parts-kit-p-1371.html

But that CRKT looks better, for not much more money
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,422 Senior Member
    I have been considering this “kit”l to make a tomahawk 
    https://www.knifekits.com/vcom/camp-hawk-parts-kit-p-1371.html

But that CRKT looks better, for not much more money
    I actually got my CRKT on sale for about $25 with free shipping.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,895 Senior Member
    I am almost done with the refinishing of my Cold Steel TrailHawk. I have to finish sharpening/ polishing the edge and poll. 
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    I am almost done with the refinishing of my Cold Steel TrailHawk. I have to finish sharpening/ polishing the edge and poll. 
    So, you’re uhh, polishing your pole?
    Zee
    cpj said:
    So, you’re uhh, polishing your pole?
    Yup. Got any advice for a first timer? I know you are an old hand. 
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    What did you use to strip the handle?  I just tried Acetone and while it worked.........not ideal.
    edited May 21 #61
    Zee said:
    What did you use to strip the handle?  I just tried Acetone and while it worked.........not ideal.
    Mine didn’t have anything on it from the factory. All I hand to do was sand the sweat and oil from my hands off. 

I did have to strip the handle of my E tool. I think I used a combination of scraping with a knife edge and sanding. Not the fastest but no chemical smell. 

I didnt tell tell what I used for finishing. The shaft got three hand rubbed coats of Watco Dark Walnut Danish Oil and the head got stripped of paint with a right angle die grinder and then a 10 hour vinegar soak. After the vinegar bath it was washed and heated over the stove then a heavy coat of grape seed oil and left to cool. 
    Dad 5-31-13

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file