Next project...... looks like an easy one

2»

Replies

• WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,365 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    That's another good looking rescue. The wood looks good with that new finish. Should be a fine shooter, too!
    Finally got a chance to fire it.
    Pretty good start.
    Need to adjust windage a bit. I didn't have anything with me to do that.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 30,691 Senior Member
    Wow, good shootin there Tex.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Not really it was close at an indoor range. At least they fixed the lighting and I could see through the peep sight. Hoping next time will be outside.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 30,691 Senior Member
    I have found even at close range guns that group really good usually have the potential on out yonder too. 
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,209 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    It's probably a piece of birch, very common and serviceable stock wood and it can be pretty. If the tip is just painted on, you won't miss it!
    It looks good!
    Remington 788’s had a birch stock. I refinished one for a friend and it was quite nice when finished. Good hustle!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,835 Senior Member
    edited May 16 #37
    Weatherby said:
    Watch OUT! Duck and Run before it's too late. When wood looks easy it can be ten miles deep in alligators!

I had my glasses on and checked the water before diving in.

Forget what I said, I must have written that right before I took my meds, LOL! Looks like you did well.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Weatherby said:
    The metal could still use some attention.
    The black fore end is gone now.
    The stock I'm happy with at this point.
    Need to see how or if it shoots now.
    I can actually see pretty good using the peep sight which with deteriorating eyesight I'm very happy about.
    It was an easy project which is what I need to stick with I Can't fix or fabricate things like tennmike.or turn wood to glass like big Al..About all I can do is try to polish what I think may be a diamond in the rough.
    It should make someone a gun to be happy with after I soil it of course.

Beautiful!!! I love it. Yes just looking at it I can tell it's a shooter. I have a Westernfield made my Mossberg back in the 30s that was my grandfathers. He took pretty good care of it. The wood is varnished and I've thought about stripping it and doing an oil finish but the wood is not damaged at all. The metal is good with a natural patina on it acquired through 80 something years of age, but no rust. It has a broken front blade sight with a buckhorn rear. However, even though the front blade sight is broken off about 1/8 inch, it will still shoot like crazy, crazy good. But my eyes ain't up to the task anymore. It needs a scope.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,352 Senior Member
    Snake, contact Havalin, it's a Mossberg specialty shop I've used a lot. Husband wife team, great people.

Nice work on the old 22! I don't understand what folks have against birch. I like watching th old cheap stained stocks shine like a pretty blond in the sun.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,403 Senior Member
    Weatherby said:
    tennmike said:
    That's another good looking rescue. The wood looks good with that new finish. Should be a fine shooter, too!
    Finally got a chance to fire it.
    Pretty good start.
    Need to adjust windage a bit. I didn't have anything with me to do that.
    BS, these guys need to know that my buddy Weatherby is a hell of a shot!  I've had the pleasure of sharing a firing line with him and that boy OFFHAND can shoot the nuts off a fly...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Thanks guys...next time out I will totally dial it in. I think it has high potential to be a tack driver if I do my part. It will make it harder to give away and find the right candidate for it. My nephew has a daughter that is supposed to be an excellent shot with a BB gun may be it. She is 15 and I haven't shot with her but if the gun likes her that could be the one.
    edited May 17 #42
    Freezer said:
    Snake, contact Havalin, it's a Mossberg specialty shop I've used a lot. Husband wife team, great people.

Nice work on the old 22! I don't understand what folks have against birch. I like watching th old cheap stained stocks shine like a pretty blond in the sun.
    For what? A scope mount, or instructions on how to mount one? I need both. If they can do that I'll be happy. Thank's Freezer. I'll check 'em out.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,403 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    Weatherby said:
    The metal could still use some attention.
    The black fore end is gone now.
    The stock I'm happy with at this point.
    Need to see how or if it shoots now.
    I can actually see pretty good using the peep sight which with deteriorating eyesight I'm very happy about.
    It was an easy project which is what I need to stick with I Can't fix or fabricate things like tennmike.or turn wood to glass like big Al..About all I can do is try to polish what I think may be a diamond in the rough.
    It should make someone a gun to be happy with after I soil it of course.

Beautiful!!! I love it. Yes just looking at it I can tell it's a shooter. I have a Westernfield made my Mossberg back in the 30s that was my grandfathers. He took pretty good care of it. The wood is varnished and I've thought about stripping it and doing an oil finish but the wood is not damaged at all. The metal is good with a natural patina on it acquired through 80 something years of age, but no rust. It has a broken front blade sight with a buckhorn rear. However, even though the front blade sight is broken off about 1/8 inch, it will still shoot like crazy, crazy good. But my eyes ain't up to the task anymore. It needs a scope.
    For a replacement front blade eBay is your friend.  Mossberg original sights are all over the place.  Post a picture of yours, I might have a spare somewhere and if so It's yours.  As far as putting a scope on it, most Mossbergs of that age have to be drilled and tapped to take a scope since they were made pre-grooved receivers, and even that way the chances of the bolt handle clearing a scope are not that good.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,352 Senior Member
    Some of those old Mossbergs have screws on the side of the receiver for a scope base. I purchased one form Havalin for my nephew's 22 a couple months ago. They also had the rear sight.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,104 Senior Member
    Very nice project! Great shooter too....distance and ammo?

Wood has a nice figure in it, although I like a darker shade, something I usually achieve using multiple applications of boiled linseed oil. Black tip gives these guns a fancier look so I'd leave it too no matter if it's just painted.
    Antonii It was only at 50 feet using Aguilla super extra standard velocity. I have a bunch of it and it has performed well in many of my .22's so it's what I tend to try first.
    The black tip is gone never to return. Making CPJ happy this one time.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,067 Senior Member
    edited May 18 #47
    Most excellent. Black painted tips look cheap and trashy. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,104 Senior Member
    Weatherby said:
    Antonii It was only at 50 feet using Aguilla super extra standard velocity. I have a bunch of it and it has performed well in many of my .22's so it's what I tend to try first.
    The black tip is gone never to return. Making CPJ happy this one time.
    Relatively short distance but still very good groups; Aguila is getting good online comments regarding price/performance ratio....too bad local importer quit bringing those down here.

With such a nice stock the black tip is not going to be missed.
    Antonio I really like the Aguilla from my experience thus far.
    It's been tried in a lot of my guns
    With 0 bad results.
    As far as a reference the red on the target is pretty much dime sized.
    I'm definitely anxious to try it more seriously. I'm liking posting a picture with my phone here now.
    edited May 19 #50
    Freezer said:

I agree. Don't get me wrong, I love and prefer walnut, but a birch or beach wood stock can be done nicely. I have one on my Savage Model 110 7 Rem. Mag. and I did a BLO finish on it. It's not fancy but is tasteful. I'm in no way ashamed to drag it out for deer camp inspection.
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file