Winchester .223 Supreme CXP2 ammo for whitetail deer

AntonioAntonio Senior MemberPosts: 2,144 Senior Member
Friend of mine has been invited to hunt next month up north close to the local border with Equador.
Terrain is thick dry brush with no more than 100 yards clearences, most shots being made from hideouts between 50-100 yards tops against the local variant of a tad smallish whitetail deer.

The only rifle he has available for that trip is a scoped bolt-action .223 Kimber Super America and the only available ammo for such job he has been able to find (Other than 55gr. FMJs) are 3 boxes (60 rounds) of Winchester Supreme CXP2s.
He's wondering if the round would be up to the task (He's a good shot and a seasoned small-game & feather hunter so is well aware of the basic requirements for taking a shot) as the factory box states ("For thin skinned game").

Reloading is a no-no, no other .223 hunting rounds are currently availabe and it's already too late for him to do the legal paperwork required to take another rifle from his stash. Any inputs about that particular round and its behavior in hunting situations?

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 951 Senior Member
    I wouldn't hesitate one second to use it.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,187 Senior Member
    Need more info. 

Bullet type and weight. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 951 Senior Member
    When I googled it, looked like a 64 gr silver tip.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,084 Senior Member
    That should be their 64gr PowerPoint. if so, I've heard nothing but good things about it for smaller southern whitetails
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

I still want confirmation as to type of ammunition before giving an opinion. 
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,144 Senior Member
    edited May 14 #7
    Thanks for the replies; boxes say "64gr. Power point plus" and look like FMJs with an open tip (Like the .308 match bullets) covered in a greyish coating.
  • Troy800Troy800 New Member Posts: 15 New Member
    Yep, that will drop a whitetail easily as long as the person pulling the trigger does their job.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,084 Senior Member
    Appears to be a moly coated PP  and POSSIBLY winchester's version of "High Energy" or "Light Magnum" (slightly higher velocity) load.

And yes, should be a fine load for "smallish whitetail deer"
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Slay away. 
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,144 Senior Member
    Cool! Thanks a lot for the inputs.
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,119 Senior Member
    That is exactly the round chosen for SS3's first deer hunt  (goodness was it that long ago? :| )

As far as Whitetail, I can't give you first hand knowledge, but worked well on Turkey.

Winchester Power Point has been my 1ST choice in factory hunting ammo for years, and never felt compromised.

Happy Hunting. 
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file