Caught the culprit

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 1,217 Senior Member
edited June 5 in Hunting #1
Went to fill a couple of feeders today, one not throwing for a while now.  Once I got up to it I could tell why!  Went back to the barn and got a new controller and thrower.  When I took the old unit down I found the bullet inside.  It was a 208 gr AMAX .30 cal from my .300 Blackout.  Dang, it was yours truly who shot the feeder.  A couple months back we got into a mess of hogs around midnight.  I dropped one and kept shooting at the ones running off.  I was really hoping it was going to be one of the boys who done it!

Curious thing the bullet key holed when it hit the metal box and destroyed the workings inside.  It never exited the box.  It was only a 93 yards shot!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v98/jharmon23/Game feeder.png
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,670 Senior Member
    In those situations you kick the dog & ask why did you let me do that ?
    Dogs forgive really fast !  NEVER try that with a woman ! They will hurt you for years to come.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,185 Senior Member
    Know your target. What’s in front of and behind it. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,084 Senior Member
    oops
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 13,910 Senior Member

Nice shot if you were hunting game feeders.

• Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,217 Senior Member

Nice shot if you were hunting game feeders.

Thanks, this is a low profile feeder, the base is only 2' tall with the controller box sitting below that.  So much chaos as they we're running.  It still intrigues me the subsonic bullet key holed when it hit the metal box!  We did find another hog the next morning that went down as well.  Still need practice shooting movers with subsonic ammo, still hard to figure out leads on moving critters.  Supersonic ammo is no issues shooting movers! 

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,904 Senior Member
    edited June 3 #7
    It looks to me like the bullet was at least partially 'sideways' before it hit the metal box. Maybe it had already passed through or bounced off of something else.
    bisley said:
    It looks to me like the bullet was at least partially 'sideways' before it hit the metal box. Maybe it had already passed through or bounced off of something else.
    You bring up a great point! We've looked at the bullet and saw no sign of blood on it as it was under the feeder and inside the metal box so no rain to wash it off.  I've shot a lot of rounds out of the .300 blk out and never seen one keyhole.  I doubt I'd get a pass through on a hog with sub sonic round!  There was also nothing between me and hog when I shot.  No branches, just 93 yards and plenty of hogs. 

Ah ha, my brain just turned on.  There is a heavy 10 gauge wire cage around the controller to keep varmints out.  I bet the round hit the wire cage and started to tumble!  I'll go down after church and take a look!

edited June 3 #9
    I know some folks claim  the 208s are slightly unstable @ subsonic velocities and will start tumbling past 100 yards anyway.

I haven't tried any of them in my BO, so I have no first hand knowledge though.

I'd be curious of your results @ 125-150 yards on paper

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet said:
    I know some folks claim  the 208s are slightly unstable @ subsonic velocities and will start tumbling past 100 yards anyway.

I haven't tried any of them in my BO, so I have no first hand knowledge though.

I'd be curious of your results @ 125-150 yards on paper

I'll have to move one of the targets out to 150 yards and shoot some paper to see. That round drops 12" from 100 to 150 yards which is why I try to keep my shots to 100 yards or less.   I know it was a 93 yard shot as I shot from the ladder on the stand and the feeder barrel has reflective 93.  All of my stands have reflective yardage markers on them so guest no the distances when hunting.  I'll let you know if it does keyhole at 150 yards.  I actually just purchased some new Remington 220 gr sub sonic loads I haven't shot yet. I'll see how they do as well.

edited June 3 #11
    Thanks. I'm curious to read your results

FYI, for me, subs will probably just be "fun" loads anyway

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,567 Senior Member
    I think you hit something first and then you hit your feeder.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,063 Senior Member
    edited June 3 #13
    Fwiw, I once shot a deer ten yards beyond the aluminum legged tri-pod feeder. It ( the deer) dropped like a rock. A couple days later I discovered the .270 130 grain NBT had top dead centered one of the feeder legs. No harm, no foul. It didn't even lean. Last I heard, the feeder was still in use a decade later. Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 203 Member
    My own experience with 208gr .300 BLK was that even at a max charge in my M700, I did not have round holes at a 50 yard indoor range.  Not a typical keyhole, but it was an oblong hole for sure.
    Did some range testing yesterday.  My .208 gr subsonic AMX bullets shoot 1 moa at 100 yards with no keyholes.  At a 150 yards had 11.5" drop from my 100 yard zero.  Groups were 1.5" with signs of keyholes. Holes were slightly oblong and not round.  The new Rem 220 gr subsonic ammo shot slightly better.

I'm really kicking the idea of closing up the gas port to support lower grain bullet super sonic ammo and just going away from the subsonic ammo!

edited June 8 #16
    My BO has yet to fire its first round of subsonic ammo.

It might once I get a 30 cal silencer, but those will just be "for fun".

Is your barrel a 7 or 8 twist?

Edited to add: If Hornady releases their "Sub-X" bullet for reloading, I might give it a try for hunting

Concerning the gas port... I put a Superlative Arms adjustable block on my build. I HIGHLY recommend them.

I went with it due to its "blow-buy" option for when I get its can. I like the idea of controlling the over-gassing, without putting more gas through the can.

Between it's neutral position (works like a normal gas block) and using the restriction mode, with my supersonic load, I noticed a MARKED decrease in felt recoil. I know it's ALL from just slowing down the BCG and reducing how hard it's hitting the end of the buffer tube

edited June 8 #18
    My 300 Blk Out is built off the Navy's MK 12 Mod 0 rifle.  The barrel has a pistol length gas block under the forearm.  I had to drill a small hole into the forearm to get an allen wrench in so I can adjust the gas block.  Not the simplest thing to do.  Also, my smith had to open the gas block wider as it was short stroking.  It would eject the round but not load another.  This hasn't been a smooth build as it's come with a lot of ups and downs.  It was a great idea on paper and still a lot of fun to shoot, just been a pain tweaking it.

My barrel is a 1:8

My build has an open front FF tube, and superlative includes an approximately 6" allen wrench to be able to adjust the block under the handguard

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file