Favorite Reloading Powders?

2»

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,940 Senior Member
    edited June 7 #32
    Zee said:
    Top Three:

H4350 - Most used rifle powder
    H4895 - .308 Win/.223 Rem Powder of choice.
    H110 - Most used handgun powder. 

Honerable Mention:

Trail Boss - A fun reduced recoil powder for rifle and handgun. Good for “science”!

Been really having fun with H4895 and Hodgdon’s reduced recoil loads lately. Moving my boy up to the .308 Winchester this year for rifle and handgun hunting. So, I’ve been on a quest for the right bullet and load to reduce the felt recoil while maintaining lethality. H4895 has been key in accomplishing that goal. Found the load today. 

I think I’m going to have to explore the expanded possibilities with this powder!

What are some of your favoabyrite powders?
    For my most used two rifles, IMR 4831. But last time I ran out my favorite gun store was out so I bought H-4831. Both are excellent propellants. Though they have the same number they are a bit different. In my .270 Winchester I can get away with 56.7 grains of the IMR with a 130 grain bullet but not a 10th grain more. I can use over 56 + grains of Hodgdons in my .280 Remington. I never saw any signs of pressure and was up to 56.5 grains with a 150 grain bullet and right at 3000 FPS. But for everyday loading in both the IMR is very accurate and gives me the best velocities. However, I will use either one. Not enough difference to make a difference.

For my two 25 calibers Alliant Reloader 17 is the king. I get  MVs I won't discuss here with it. In my .250 Savage with a 115 grain Combined Technologies bullet I get what I will call extreme velocity for this cartridge.
    In my .257AI Improved what surprises me is that I don't get an improvement in velocity like you would imagine over the .250 Savage. They are both pretty equal with a 115 grain Combined Technologies 115 grain bullet and Reloader 17 powder.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,904 Senior Member
    Varget works fine for every center fire rifle I own, and they are all capable of sub-MOA with it.

Unique works fine for most of my handguns.

Bullseye fuels my best .45 ACP ammo.

I have tried lots of other powders, but the above seem to be the most practical for me. I'm liable to use lots of different handgun powders, with very little noticeable difference noticed between them, with my very average skills.

• WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,378 Senior Member
    I am mainly a revolver guy.  Titegroup and H110.

Welcome brother.
    Let's see some of those non bottom feeders.
    The Smith's anyway.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 1,998 Senior Member
    For me it's H-110/ Unique for handguns and IMR 4064/IMR 4350 for my rifles. .308, 30.06 .243 and .375 H&H.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,764 Senior Member
    I keep it pretty simple...
    Varget for the .223s, .308 based rounds and sometimes for the .45-70....
    RL22 for the .300 Win.Mag...
    FFG for most of the .45-70 shooting...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • RaptortrapperRaptortrapper Posts: 36 Member
    edited June 7 #37
    Thanks Weatherby.  Sadly, my revolvers were sold about two years ago.  My wife and I had some major expenses come up, and I had to sell the revolvers.  Both the 45 Colt and the 500 JRH were custom Super Blackhawks by Jack Huntington. 

I am now in the process of replacing everything I sold.  Just bought a Springfield TRP in 10mm that Zee just LOVES to see every now and then.  He's always asking me to send him pictures of it, asks me what I named it, what does it feel like, how's the trigger, do I sleep with it close by, do the sights glow really bright, etc...   :D

I will be getting those two revolvers built again early next year.  I'll have them built the same way my first two were done.  Easily the nicest revolvers I have ever owned.  I also have an XP100 in .284 being built right now, and will have an AR done in the near future.  It will have two uppers.  One in 223, and the other in 6.5 Grendel.  After the revolvers, it will be a 7mm Rem Mag rifle build.  Then I'll be done replacing everything... for a while.
    Some people are like a slinky-- not much fun till you push them down the stairs!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,187 Senior Member

I am now in the process of replacing everything I sold.  Just bought a Springfield TRP in 10mm that Zee just LOVES to see every now and then.  He's always asking me to send him pictures of it, asks me what I named it, what does it feel like, how's the trigger, do I sleep with it close by, do the sights glow really bright, etc...   :D

BAN Check!  Isle 5!!!  Can I get a BAN Check, please?!?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • RaptortrapperRaptortrapper Posts: 36 Member
    BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! :D :D
    Some people are like a slinky-- not much fun till you push them down the stairs!
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,780 Senior Member
    edited June 8 #40
    Small bore rifle: H322
    Medium bore rifle: Ramshot  Big Game
    Big Bore Rifle: H4350
    Semi-auto Handgun: Unique, Titegroup
    Revolver: AA #9, IMR 4227
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Jayhawker said:
    I keep it pretty simple...
    Varget for the .223s, .308 based rounds and sometimes for the .45-70....
    RL22 for the .300 Win.Mag...
    FFG for most of the .45-70 shooting...
    Have you tried RL-25? I use it in my .300 WBY with good results and more velocity.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    edited June 8 #42
    bisley said:
    Varget works fine for every center fire rifle I own, and they are all capable of sub-MOA with it.

Unique works fine for most of my handguns.

Bullseye fuels my best .45 ACP ammo.

I have tried lots of other powders, but the above seem to be the most practical for me. I'm liable to use lots of different handgun powders, with very little noticeable difference noticed between them, with my very average skills.

I don't have a top load velocity wise with varget but all loads with the stuff I've tried have been some of my most accurate, and they're not exactly slow.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,904 Senior Member
    Correction - I forgot about my lever action 44 magnum - I use 2400 for it, but everything else likes Varget.
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file