Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,200 Senior Member
    I don’t like you right now. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 968 Senior Member
    Are you sure those old obsolete rifles can still shoot????👀
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,221 Senior Member
    I’m sure you will get some funny looks, once the smoke clears!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,764 Senior Member
    I usually have someone stand around while I'm shooting talking about how they have always wanted to shoot a Sharps.
    I keep some 405 grain loads on hand for those folks...if they really get into it I'll let them try it with some of my 535 grain loads....that way they can get the full effect...
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 2,993 Senior Member
    Shilos? I have a crummy Pedersoli 
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
    Absolutely nothing crummy about Pedersoli Sharps....of which both of them are...great shooters, amazing fit and finish...
    There ARE some crappy reproductions out there (as Mr. Jerry can attest after rebuilding a lock from one) but Pedersoli ain't one...
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 952 Senior Member
    To say that I'm envious right now would be an understatement. One of these days I'll have one..  Have fun at the range!!

Denny

Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,099 Senior Member
    edited June 9 #9
    OH MY..... <3

Would be happy just being able to touch 1 off.
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,865 Senior Member
    Yes, I believe you do!
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,180 Senior Member
    Those are obsolete and may be dangerous.  Send them to me; I’ll do you a favor and deal with them.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    edited June 10 #12
    One of the last times I had them out

Jayhawker said:
    Absolutely nothing crummy about Pedersoli Sharps....of which both of them are...great shooters, amazing fit and finish...
    There ARE some crappy reproductions out there (as Mr. Jerry can attest after rebuilding a lock from one) but Pedersoli ain't one...
    I was kidding. I love my Pedersoli. Didn't have to wait 5 years for it, either. 

It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,687 Senior Member
    Definitely on my short list
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,783 Senior Member
    Those are just beautiful.  Envious to say the least.  Last I checked, none of the better builders make a Sharps repro worth owning in a lefty outfit.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    I can imagine that it would take some serious reverse engineering....however...I'm left-handed and can run them without a problem....
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,783 Senior Member
    I have operated them in passing on a couple of occasions and could make it work.  It's just maddening having to reach across for the hammer on an action that wide and I can't bring myself to get a custom build on a design that isn't exactly perfect for me.  I went so far as to ask Shiloh if they could/would and got the big negative on it.  Like you said, it's probably just too much cost and work for a minimal market.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,099 Senior Member
    edited June 10 #18
    Jayhawker said:
    I can imagine that it would take some serious reverse engineering....however...I'm left-handed and can run them without a problem....

I am right handed, but shoot rifle and pool left handed because I am left eye dominate. Never had a problem with right hand firearms though. Just something you get used to. Other than those things my left hand is useless. I throw a ball like the biggest sissy in the world with my left hand... B)
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 663 Senior Member
    I really like them Jayhawker.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    In the past, some owners of Shilos on firearms forums have blasted Pedersoli rifles. I've round them to be faithful to the originals. I've owned a Ped for over 20 years... but have never killed a buffalo with one... 

• bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,236 Senior Member
    Yes you do!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,015 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:
    I have operated them in passing on a couple of occasions and could make it work.  It's just maddening having to reach across for the hammer on an action that wide and I can't bring myself to get a custom build on a design that isn't exactly perfect for me.  I went so far as to ask Shiloh if they could/would and got the big negative on it.  Like you said, it's probably just too much cost and work for a minimal market.
    http://www.brcrifles.com/1878.htm
    problem solved :)

Sako
    problem solved :)

Sako
    Completely forgot about those....that would work.....
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,935 Senior Member
    Winchester High Wall. Not a Sharps I know, but definitely more ambidextrous. 
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    I had an original 1878 Sharps Borschardt in .45-70 some years back. 

I had an original 1878 Sharps Borschardt in .45-70 some years back. 

I am envious....
    It was  in pretty poor shape. The rear sight leaf was missing. Dad manufactured one from a photo (he was a pretty talented machinist.). It shot alright. Bore was a little dark, but jacketed 300 grain bullets would stay in minute of deer groups at 100 yards loaded to factory velocities. I lusted over a Ruger #1 and made the switch. Somehow, Teach ended up with the Ruger #1. Don't know if he still has it.

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,169 Senior Member
    Well it has been 3 days, have you busted a few rounds off in them yet?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Nope....waiting for payday before I travel over to the closest range where I can stretch their legs a little...
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,720 Senior Member
    I figured if I waited a few days I’d stop hating you but....... nope 🤬
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,946 Senior Member
    I ain't laughing. I would love one of those. Anyway, have fun and enjoy them.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file