Sourdough....

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 17,284 Senior Member
I just received some King Arthur flour sourdough starter.

It's happily "chowing down" after its first feeding.  Wife and I both like sourdough bread and I am looking forward to making our own.

Also, since you "dispose" of half at every feeding, Looking at the sourdough waffles/pancakes recipe looks interesting.

Any of y'all deal with sourdough?
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,075 Senior Member

Great stuff- - - -sort of like "sour mash" whiskey.  We kept a crock of sourdough for years, and used it in all sorts of recipes.  Just pinch off a little of whatever recipie you're making, and add it to the stored starter. 

Jerry

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,284 Senior Member
    I've got quite a few recipes to try with it
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

If it works out well, might get with Jerm and see about adding some to next years Friday dinner

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,242 Senior Member
    Nothing to it.🐒

LOL

• GilaGila Posts: 161 Member
    The only downside to it is refreshing the starter on a weekly basis.  Other than that, there's nothing better than homemade bread of any kind!

To secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.  Sun Tzŭ
    Hey, at least if it's kept in the fridge, it only requires weekly feedings vs. the 2x day if I leave it on the counter

• TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,951 Senior Member
    I absolutely love sourdough bread. But I developed an allergy of some sort and can't eat it anymore.  :'(
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,119 Senior Member
    My stepmother started making sourdough bread in the mid 80's. She loved making bread, and I loved sourdough bread. All was good. Then, I started having to go feed the starter when she and my Dad left town for more than a couple of days...which happened more often once they retired. There's a period of my life that seems like all I was doing in my limited spare time was feeding the starter. I lost my taste for sourdough after a while. Nowadays, I recommend instead of sourdough, get a cat. You can tape the lid of the toilet bowl up in the open position, slash open a ten pound bag bag of cat food, then leave for two weeks with a clear conscience. Sourdough isn't as forgiving. Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
    edited June 23 #11
    When refrigerated, starter only needs to be fed weekly

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,989 Senior Member
    My wife kept some alive for several years, and only quit because we liked it too much and gained too much weight.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,119 Senior Member
    I'm sure, in an overabundance of caution, I was lied to. ;).
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
    I'm sure, in an overabundance of caution, I was lied to. ;).
    possibly

Made some sourdough pancakes this morning, they were quite tasty, but I'm not sure they were "that" much better than the ones I make from the 10# bag of pancake mix I buy at Sam's, and are a LOT more labor intensive

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,584 Senior Member
    Sourdough tastes different in different parts of the country. It picks up different wild yeasts over time. What you start with will change over time, too. Might be good or bad change, depending on what sneaked in.
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

Tried a "Buttery Sourdough Bun" (rolls) recipe today....

OH! MY! GOODNESS! They are DELICIOUS!!!!!!
    https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/buttery-sourdough-buns-recipe

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,236 Senior Member
    Get a good recipe for sweet Portuguese bread and you’ll forget all about the Sourdough... 🤣
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    I think not, but thanks for playing

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file