Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation?

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 6,092 Senior Member
Is anyone a member?

I used to be, but dropped my membership after about a year. It seemed to me that the organization was ran by left winged environmentalists who were more interested in restoring the world to some 'natural order' than they were about elk populatons or elk hunting. For example, there was a lot of people in the organization who were strongly in favor of promoting the growth of the wolf population in areas that held elk.

When I joined, I thought it was going to be about elk hunting, and for elk hunters. There were some factions in the organization who were avid hunters, but the general feel I got was more in favor of restoring the American west to its pre-Columbian state as much as possible.

BTW, I just got mail from RMEF and chunked it without even opening the envelope. That's what prompted this topic.
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• ken55ken55 Senior Member Posts: 776 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Is anyone a member?

I used to be, but dropped my membership after about a year. It seemed to me that the organization was ran by left winged environmentalists who were more interested in restoring the world to some 'natural order' than they were about elk populatons or elk hunting. For example, there was a lot of people in the organization who were strongly in favor of promoting the growth of the wolf population in areas that held elk.

When I joined, I thought it was going to be about elk hunting, and for elk hunters. There were some factions in the organization who were avid hunters, but the general feel I got was more in favor of restoring the American west to its pre-Columbian state as much as possible.

BTW, I just got mail from RMEF and chunked it without even opening the envelope. That's what prompted this topic.

Jerry, it's been a while since I checked into it but I had the same impression as you when I did. I have no interest in joining.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,685 Senior Member
    The banquets in MN were all about hunting and some nice guns, the nicest guns I have "won" at a banquet came from one of their banquets. Not sure what they do with the money at the national RMEF level though, some of the money stays in state for our tiny elk herd.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,419 Senior Member
    RMEF has changed a bit in the last few years. Frankly, I actually sided and supported them on their ORIGINAL wolf stance, when the USF&W said they would CONTROL THE ANIMALS to a tiny population. It would restore some balance to nature and makes things more...well, natural. However, they didn't keep their promise for dang sure. RMEF is now extremely anti-wolf because of the poor management of the animals, not the idea.

I'd like to make it down to a banquet or something sometime, a guy I used to work with is one of the head dudes for the CO chapter, and he always talked about killer deals on guns, hunts, free stuff, lotteries...that makes it worth it to me. Not RMEF, but CO Bow hunters, my cousin got a feral goat hunt somewhere way down SW for like 200$ in a silent auction. That kind of stuff makes it worth it. However, if I ever JOIN an organization like that, after I research it more deeply of course, I'd likely be most apt to join in the Mule Deer Foundation.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,368 Senior Member
    I'm a member.

I like the magazine that comes with the membership. It's mostly first hand accounts, written by members. It helps keep me up with the goings on in the elk world, that is so far away.

It seems that most of the focus is geared towards creating and maintaining habitat, doesn't seem bad to me. I don't think they're looking at wolves as good things for elk, these days.
    OTOH, I might not be reading between the lines enough.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,015 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Is anyone a member?

They sent me stuff like I was already a member and wanted me to re up, the bottom line was asking for money. I smelled a rat so I trashed the envelope.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    I thought about joining them until I realized (up here anyway) they are all about protecting the poor elk and making sure no evil hunter can shoot them or even set foot on "their" land for that matter. They are always pushing for stricter hunting regs and public lands closing to hunters
    One thing I noticed, the name "Rocky Mountain Elk Fountation" doesn't have hunters anywhere in the name. That should speak volumes of their purpose.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • wolf049wolf049 Member Posts: 217 Member
    RMEF gets NO support from me. An Elk herd was almost wiped out by some Washington Indian tribe and when the RMEF and the F&W was notifed, it fell on deaf ears!!
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,368 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    One thing I noticed, the name "Rocky Mountain Elk Fountation" doesn't have hunters anywhere in the name. That should speak volumes of their purpose.

Neither does Whitetails Unlimited, Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever.....

RMEF's focus is to preserve, enrich, and maintain elk habitat, for hunting. They're all about hunting.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,092 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    RMEF's focus is to preserve, enrich, and maintain elk habitat, for hunting. They're all about hunting.

In that case, they have changed considerably since I was a member.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Yes, but I can see JBC's concern. A lot of potentially or otherwise beneficial organizations can be inadvertently filled with Tree Huggers, Bunny Huggers or the like unbeknownst to us. For this reason I have a problem giving donations to them. For instance, my church made a known gay a bishop. But this really didn't reflect the thinking of our diocese. However at the time I was giving a true tythe to them. I have since cut that back. I would go elsewhere if there was a reform movement in this area, however the nearest reform movement in the Episcopal church is 110 miles east of me. I did tell the church secretary that I wanted all my money only going to our diocese. I know that the diocese helps support the main church, but at least my actual dollars stay home. It is more a matter of principle with me. I don't hate gays, but according to the scriptures they shouldn't be leaders in my church. I know this is sort of a stretch, but I just felt it was a good example of what could be going on with RMEF and others such as Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. Bunny Huggers are the scourge of the Universe!!!
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,047 Senior Member
    http://www.rmef.org/Hunting/

From this page they seem to be promoting fair chase hunting on native lands and habitates. I see nothing nefarious or underhanded in thier mission.
    Sako

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file