Thread: What is the best semi-auto lube?

What is the best semi-auto lube?

Just wanted to see what you guys think is the best lube for semi-autos is? I am concerned mainly with the rails, but the best lube period would be nice to know.

Mike A

Re: What is the best semi-auto lube?

Depends on the semi-auto. What's best for a Glock might not be the best for a 1911, or an AR, or a Garand.
    So narrowing it down a little would be helpful
    When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. It is only difficult for others.

It is the same when you are STUPID.

Eezox works pretty well for lube for most stuff.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...duct/MILITEC_1
    The grease linked at the bottom works great on slide rails.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post

There no mangos like Dans mangos.

Mobile 1 synthetic works great on my 1911s

Denny

Depends on what you want the lube for....

I tend to use grease and/or grease and a light film of oil on the rails of my 1911 and my AR when I store them, as I want them to be ready for use, but with a lube that stays with them.

On the other hand, if I'm doing a lot of shooting, I'll use oil, and occasionally put a few drops on the rails when I'm loading mags or other lulls in the activity.

However, as knitepoet mentioned, some platforms pretty much just require grease, I believe the Garand is one of those.
    Unless we each conform, unless we obey orders, unless we follow our leaders blindly, there is no possible way we can remain free. - Maj. Frank Burns

As stated above it depends on the platform but I'll add it also depends on the enviroment ... cold or hot, dry or humid and so on.
    Once is an accident, Twice may be a coincidence ... Three Times is enemy action.

Banned

Synthetic Transmission fluid and a touch of Shooter's Choice Grease runs everything I own.

Shooters Choice grease on the rails (or Wilson grease) for carrying and I add a drop of CLP to the rails when I'm going to the range for an extended session.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

eh. I've pretty much always used Rem Oil for the most part. I think making sure that your stuff *IS* lubed is far more important than *which* lube you use for the most part. Probably also matters a lot more in specific climates, but here in FL, I'm mostly just concerned with having it lubed and oiled to prevent rust.

Luis

The most common lube I've been using for home maintenance is Mobile One (However, I'm thinking of switching over to the Synthetic Transmission fluid)
    If I need to slick things up at the range or in the field it's either CLP or LaRue Machinegun Lube (Hey...it's free, comes in small containers and it works)
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    The most common lube I've been using for home maintenance is Mobile One (However, I'm thinking of switching over to the Synthetic Transmission fluid)

$2 gets you darn near a lifetime supply. ;-)

DEXRON-VI is the key as told to me by my Mentor. I'm not a car guy so I have no idea why. I just do what I'm told.
    Last edited by BPsniper; 08-17-2011 at 09:48 PM.

Think I will try some of that thar syn tranny stuff-a-ma-rubber

Thanks much!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

I have to agree with the answer that it depends on the type of firearm.. I use Lubriplate on my semi-auto, on the rails, it doesn't take much.That red mobile one wheel bearing grease is good but it ain't cheap. I use that "realslick,gunslick" a while back, it came in a small tube, black grease... I don't know if they still make it or not, but it was good. Remington gun oil is good. WD-40??? I don't know I have heard both pros and cons on this stuff, I don't use it on my firearms... 3 in 1 oil might do ok in some applications..

Here is a link I found:

http://hunting.about.com/od/lubes/Ma...rotectants.htm
    Last edited by robert38-55; 08-18-2011 at 12:12 PM.
    "It is what it is"

The question really is not about what is the best lube (there are so many, pick your favorite,) but rather, which products are not suited to the purpose. Robert mentions two of those in is post above. WD-40 is a penetrating compound designed to displace water (Water Displacement - 40th attempt) and clean out rust and other crap, including lubricants. It is definitely not a firearms lubricant and should never be used on such.

The other one is 3 in 1 oil. That is a light duty general purpose lubricant that will rapidly breakdown and become ineffective in firearms.

You see a lot of crossover of lubricating and cleaning products from the automotive world to the firearms world and that akes a lot of sense in many respects since they both have heat and high pressure requirements. However, I would caution you in wisely choosing your automotive product for your firearms maintenance and lubrication because some of these products contain addiditives that may have deliterious effects on firearms finishes and exotic materials.

I'm all about saving money and using an automotive product that is as good as a firearms product and at a fraction of the cost is very tempting. Then again, I don't consume gallons of firearms lubricant. Especially since I use grease.

I've been real happy with a thin coat of Eezox and a small amount of grease (Tetra or Shooter's Choice) in strategic spots on just about everything I own. Makes the cleaning process after shooting much more manageable especially handguns that see a lot of rounds.

For oil I use CLP and for grease I use Brownells stainless slick on my stainless guns and Brownells grease on all others.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member

In my experience, oil is pretty much oil.
    WWJMBD?

Ok, so .277 is the number of The Beast. This makes The Beast. . .what. . .a chihuahua?

I've been using Tetra gun grease in my semiauto rifles (M-1 Garand, M-1 Carbine, Ruger Mini-14, Ruger 10/22 and J.C. Higgins 31) and assorted C&R pistols for the last 13 years with no problems so far.

People have some incredibly strong brand preferences, but I have to wonder about the evaluation criteria they use. Bigslug said it well, oil is oil. There's a big difference between dry and wet, but Textron vs. Tetra? How does the enlightened man tell?

Use what ever you have available. I live in a saltwater marine environment so I have a lot marine related stuff !! I find that
    mobile synthetic wheel bearing grease works fine on the rails & Yamaha synthetic 2cycle lube for the inner workings. I have
    found over the years these lube's don't dry out and become sticky or pasty, and 2 cycle outboard oil has additives that
    control rust on cylinder walls in a salt environment. I have been taking my Colt 10MM with me in my boats for more
    than 10 years and the gun looks like the day I bought it. BTW a little (corrosion block red can) sprayed on the out side before
    storing the gun works wonders . If you don't have any 2 cycle toys around the house then gun lube from the LGS is probably
    necessary base on environmental conditions where you live, My lube stuff may not be as effective @ -10 deg in the winter!!