Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What .22lr ammo to buy

What .22lr ammo to buy

I was reading the post about the Rem 597 and the responses about their's being finicky about what ammo it likes and it got me to wondering......

I have ordered a CMMG .22 AR conversion for my son for Christmas and I want to get him some ammo. For those of you with experience with this conversion what ammo should I stay away from? Or should I just get a few different 50 rd boxes/brands and find out what the gun likes/dislikes? BTW its going in a DPMS.

Re: What .22lr ammo to buy

Get a few boxes and try them out.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

.22 rimfires can be quite picky. I would go to whatever sporting goods store has the best selection, buy a bunch of 50 round boxes, and then include a note saying "Good for XXXX amount of whichever ammo functions best."
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Division one critter rescue team leader.

Pick some. Cci is always consistent. I like cci blazers.
    And there is no way to know for sure...you just have to try them. What works in my rifle may not work in yours.
    That don't confront me, as long as I get my money by next Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post
    Yes Peewee does have a nice bicycle, but.....???????

Ok, I don't know what the heck happened. I swear the link was to a youtube video of Peewee Herman riding his bicycle through a park. I swear! I ain't unfortunately been drinking.
    Last edited by RugerFan; 12-13-2012 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RugerFan View Post
    Yes Peewee does have a nice bicycle, but.....???????
    Had a glitz, it is corrected on my screen.

I have quite a few .22's just about all will shoot wolf match target very well.

The one thing I will never ever feed a .22 of mine Again is remington thunderbolts.

If you were to offer me a brick I wouldn't use it as a paper weight

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post
    Had a glitz, it is corrected on my screen.
    Oh thank God!! I didn't know what the heck had happened. It freaked me out when the link "magically" changed. Now I want a drink.

That was Buffco music, you know the buffalo tourist.

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby View Post
    I have quite a few .22's just about all will shoot wolf match target very well.

The one thing I will never ever feed a .22 of mine Again is remington thunderbolts.

If you were to offer me a brick I wouldn't use it as a paper weight
    Not all semis will function with match ammo. Wolf is good in bolt guns, though, especially for the price.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Gene is right on! I shoot rimfires a lot with plinker grade and match ammo. Not a lot of Semis will function with Target or Match grade ammo. Best to stick with something high velocity in a 40 gr load. Federal Automatch is fairly cheap and reliable as bulk ammmo goes~don't let the name fool you--it isn't match ammo by any stretch.

Also read some reviews on the conversion somewhere like MidwayUSA...you'll get an idea of what others have had success with. The conversion isn't going to be capable of top accuracy, so reliability is what would strive for.
    Last edited by Durwood; 12-13-2012 at 01:04 AM.
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts

Formerly "cletus85"

Seems to be a concensus that Federal 510b, CCI Blazer / CCI mini mag, Winchester Wildcats are the plinking standard for a lot of shooters. Remington seems to be hit and miss depending on gun type.

I keep a variety around for different guns, but in a bolt gun / lever / pump / revolver almost anything will work. In a semi auto you gotta find what it likes to be fed.

D
    I'm an east block weapons kinda guy... AK's SKS, Makarov's Tokarevs ... and American guns too.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

The run-of-the-mill CCI Mini Mag, copper-plated solid, part number 0030 is pretty much the go-to standard for reliable function in semi-auto .22's. It is the factory recommended load for the Advantage Arms pistol .22 conversion kits.

Federal 710 ain't bad either.
    WWJMBD?

Ok, so .277 is the number of The Beast. This makes The Beast. . .what. . .a chihuahua?

In my conversion kit I shoot just about anything. Mostly I just plink with it so anything that will shoot an inch or two at 25 yds is good enough for me and just about any cheap ammo will do that. I shoot a lot of federal bulk pack stuff because it's really cheap. It runs well in all my guns, but like any bulk .22lr ammo you do have to deal with the occasional round that doesn't go off the first time you strike it. If I want a bit more reliability and accuracy I usually go with an assortment of Aquila (36, 38, or 40gr, whatever I find in stock at the time) or occasionally blazer. I prefer to shoot copper plated bullets out of my semi-autos just because they seem to shoot a bit cleaner. CCI mini-mags also seem to run well in all my guns.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

Quote Originally Posted by Durwood View Post
    Federal Automatch is fairly cheap and reliable as bulk ammmo goes~don't let the name fool you--it isn't match ammo by any stretch.

It might not be, but, it shot the best out of all I tried in my last1022 barrel. It shot better than two kinds of Wolf.

One ammo I wouldn't waste money on is the new "tactical" 22 ammo. Looks to be nothing more than pretty packaging and increased prices over regular ammo.

I went to a Walmart today to get several different brands of .22's. NO .22 LONG RIFLES IN STOCK!!!! Only had a FEW boxes of shorts. Went to an outdoors store & all they had, other than Thunderbolts, was 525 rd box of Win 36 gr JHP. Another Walmart yesterday was virtually out(couldn't buy, the boys were with me). A friend owns a small pawn/gun shop--he told me today that he hasn't been able to find CCI Blazers in months. What in the world is going on?!?!?!?

Ive had trou les finding blazers, one shop that did carry them said they havent been able to get them. I finally foind some, and bought all 7 boxes they had.

I think you should look at Winchester M-22, it was designed especially
    for high capacity magazines.
    I don't have an AR type .22, but have shot it in my Ruger 10-22, and Marlen Model 60,
    also Winchester Model 190 ( which I have had issues with other ammo).
    It preformed flawlessly in all, also is very clean.
    It cost more, ( $ 49.99 @ 1000 rounds, at Bass Pro Shop), but I think it is worth it.
    Winchester M-22 Ammo #2 002.jpgWinchester M-22 Ammo 002.jpgWinchester M-22 Ammo 003.jpg
    Last edited by Virginia Boy; 12-22-2012 at 03:22 AM.

I have had excellent performance with Federal bulk pack ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia Boy View Post
    I think you should look at Winchester M-22, it was designed especially
    for high capacity magazines.
    I don't have an AR type .22, but have shot it in my Ruger 10-22, and Marlen Model 60,
    also Winchester Model 190 ( which I have had issues with other ammo).
    It preformed flawlessly in all, also is very clean.
    It cost more, ( $ 49.99 @ 1000 rounds, at Bass Pro Shop), but I think it is worth it.
    Winchester M-22 Ammo #2 002.jpgWinchester M-22 Ammo 002.jpgWinchester M-22 Ammo 003.jpg
    i like to call that ammo "theres one born every minute ammo".

i am in Utah...and here in SLC area...no 22LR ammo, period! is there any actual way to get some FEDERAL bulk 550count or any of these bulk packages online? i looked and all sites are listed either as "out of stock" or "backorder unavailable/out of stock" .... I understand people went a bit over board by buying up ammo, but wow, seriously....no 22LR ammo whatsoever...and we got plenty of Walmart's here, Scheels, Cabelas and several local retailers...*shaking my head*

Federal Bulk Pack is my go-to, but right now I am working my way through a 5k round case of Remington Target.
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Quote Originally Posted by shotgunshooter3 View Post
    Federal Bulk Pack is my go-to, but right now I am working my way through a 5k round case of Remington Target.
    where can i get this?...as i stated...can't find it anywhere online either. is there someone here on forum who may have some recommendation?

my sentiments exactly, here in Utah...same ! where did all the 22LR ammo went? And why is is not re-stocked? I dont believe that manufacturers all of the sudden stopped producing this ammunition.

I split a case with my Dad, we ordered it from the CMP. I have no idea if they are still available. If they are I will order another.

Quote Originally Posted by septimius72 View Post
    my sentiments exactly, here in Utah...same ! where did all the 22LR ammo went? And why is is not re-stocked? I dont believe that manufacturers all of the sudden stopped producing this ammunition.
    No, I can guarantee they're making it as fast as they can. The problem is, most/all that they're making was sold LONG before they made it. Check with ANY ammunition manufacturer or seller and they'll tell you that their current orders/ back-orders well outstrips their capacity to make it. So much so that MOST sellers I'm aware of have quit accepting back-orders.

I don't expect it to get any better for the next 6-12 months, but HOPEFULLY I'm wrong
    When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. It is only difficult for others.

It is the same when you are STUPID.

that sucks! i am on th elast box of CCI's 22...and i went to local sports store where i bought it...and the guy at the counter actually told me something similar: "people have been buying surplus from few months back and new one will not come for few months at least!"

Still .22 ammo on the shelves here

My CZ-75 Kadet conversion kit shoots everything, including a really bad run of Walmart Remington bulk pack that had loose bullets. The same is true of my 40 year old Remington Speedmaster. But the most accurate in all my .22's are the CCI MiniMags, and my Walther P-22 requires their extra power, or their equivalent in other brands, to function reliably.

I like Remington sub-sonics in my Marlin bolt action.