Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 Whisper...

6.5 Whisper...

Anybody know anything about them?

I know it's a .221 Fireball opened up to accept a 6.5 mm bullet, but finding out such things as bullet weights and the associated ballistics is not super-quick. Seems like you can find a range of weights and velocities, but no real info. Not even the parent company, SSK Industries, really has good information.

I'm thinking this would be a need little chambering for an AR-15 carbine, and good in the 100-200 yd. range in either supersonic or subsonic form. Subsonic would be academic, as the main advantage (using a silencer) is not as easy here in my county. Sheriff won't approve 'em.
    Unless we each conform, unless we obey orders, unless we follow our leaders blindly, there is no possible way we can remain free. - Maj. Frank Burns

Re: 6.5 Whisper...

Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    Anybody know anything about them?

Sheriff won't approve 'em.
    You've got me li'l bro.
    You can always form a trust, and not have to get the CLEO's approval. The current sheriff here refuses to sign them as well. So if I ever decide I need one, that's probably how I'm going to have to handle it as well.
    When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. It is only difficult for others.

It is the same when you are STUPID.

Maybe Mr Jones wants you to have to buy ammo from him rather than make it yourself? There isn't exactly an abundance of loading info for any of his cartridges available from him. Why not go with 6.5 grendel and call it a day?

The Whisper allows you to use a standard bolt and the mag capacities work out the same as for a .223 AR. Plus, not as many folks have them...
    Unless we each conform, unless we obey orders, unless we follow our leaders blindly, there is no possible way we can remain free. - Maj. Frank Burns

BREAM, just type in 6.5 whisper on google, lots of info.
    jay

Not when I do it. Half the pages are for info on Keen shoes (evidently the Whisper is a woman's shoe), the other half are forum posts listing a broad range of bullet weights and velocities, nothing specific, with one load recipe and speculation as to what the cartridge should do.

SSK talks a bit about the .300 Whisper, but the 6.5 just has some pics and brief mention.

The Whisper allows you to use a standard bolt and the mag capacities work out the same as for a .223 AR. Plus, not as many folks have them...
    This. Mostly the only difference other than bullet is in the barrel of your upper this way. Earl, here is a list of all of the Whisper family. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisper...arm_Cartridges

Also, you can check out some ballistic numbers here.
    http://www.angelfire.com/art/enchanter/bullet.html
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post

There no mangos like Dans mangos.

That stuff really doesn't give any good ammo.

The second site only says that 6.5 ammo is available in 85 to 160 gr, or 100-155, with velocities at 2300-970 fps in an unknown length barrel. No real data.

This could explain the lack of popularity. Nobody can find out what the darned things do...

I was also interested in making a wildcat out of a 7mm (.284) bullet using the .223 as the parent case. The idea was to have more mass hitting target, and also to be able to have enough mass that if loaded subsonic, the action should still cycle. I never made it farther than this picture, but it had promise....

I think you made something similar to a 7mm TCU.

My thought came that a 6.5 in a .221 Fireball case would work in an AR, as the shorter case would allow for longer bullets. Then I remembered the .300 Whisper, which made me wonder if they did it in 6.5...

There was an article abou it in G&A magazine a month or two back. From my memory, it had some load information and a little about the reloading options of the round. The article covered shooting it in an AR platform.

Sure it wasn't about the .300 Whisper? I have that mag. Has a Les Baer and a Brown 1911 on the cover.

That stuff really doesn't give any good ammo.

The second site only says that 6.5 ammo is available in 85 to 160 gr, or 100-155, with velocities at 2300-970 fps in an unknown length barrel. No real data.

This could explain the lack of popularity. Nobody can find out what the darned things do...
    Hey, you won't find much about the 6.5 Whisper on the Internet cause they don't talk about it out-loud, they just Whisper

Funny that it would be hush hush!

Banned

i haven't heard of the 6.5 Whisper and i don't care for the Whisper family of cartridges. however i recently gained interest in the 6.5-06 A-Square and it is the first 6.5 caliber i've looked into any at all ecept for the .264 Win Mag which i think is a 6.5 bullet and i've really liked this cartridge for a long time now and would like to havea rifle chambered for it with a 26'' barrel.

Other than the caliber: relevance?

Banned

Other than the caliber: relevance?
    what???

Other than the caliber mentioned, how was your first post relevant to this discussion?

Banned

Other than the caliber mentioned, how was your first post relevant to this discussion?
    huh???

Yeah... that's what I thought...

How can anything you said be used in a subsonic AR application?

Sent from my Motorola Atrix 4G via Tapatalk

Let's try not to use so many big words, SirGeorge...

Earl, check into the 6.5 TCU. it will use the same bolt, and might work through 223 mags. You may run into length issues though.
    When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. It is only difficult for others.

It is the same when you are STUPID.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'll look into it, though.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'll look into it, though.
    I'll plead ignorance here, but what could such a cartridge do that the 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 spc couldn't? Is it about being subsonic? fitting standard mags? If you want subsonic wouldn't it make sense to go as big as possible like the .300 whisper?

Anyway, carry on...don't mind me
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

It can fit into standard mags with minimal modification, use an unmodified bolt (6.5 Grendel is based on the 7.62x39 case), and can go sub or supersonic.

Why not the .300? Because I just like the idea of a 6.5 with better overall ballistic coefficients, and think it would be interesting to experiment with.

Yeah... that's what I thought...

Sure it wasn't about the .300 Whisper? I have that mag. Has a Les Baer and a Brown 1911 on the cover.
    You're right. It was the 300. In my defense, I did say "from my memory," which has a shaky reputation.

No worries, I figured that's what happened. If it was about the 6.5, I was going to hunt down the magazine, just to find out more.

Dude:

I'm following your train of thought.

I have a 300 fireball, which I love. It's a 16 inch Model 1 Sales upper, and I have never had any issues with it whatsoever. My primary load for it uses the 178 gr Hornady A-max bullets loaded to mag length for the AR platform. I am therefore sure the longer 120-140 gr bullets in 6.5 will work when seated to mag length in the 6.5 Whisper.

I once called SSK for load data, but JD wouldn't share any data. Since my chamber wasn't cut by them, and there could be differences in the chambers, lead, rifling, etc he said he wouldn't feel comfortable sharing data for his Trademarked round with me for use in my generic upper. I can see his side, but when you neck the 221 fireball case up to 30 cal, there isn't much that can be changed between the Whisper (r) and the 300-221, 300 AAC blackout, etc. So from my perspective he was being kind of a horse's rear.

Now it appears he is losing control of the Whisper concept. Now that the 300 AAC Blackout is a SAMMI standard cartridge, there will be uppers made to shoot it,and Whisper ammo works perfectly. It appears his stingy strategy will ultimately limit his niche in the market.

That being said, I hope he learns from this situation and will be more forthcoming with data, ammo and licensing of his innovations in the future. He was in position to hit the market before the 6.5 Grendel, but now the 6.5 Whisper may be a non-starter in the market because of the popularity of the Grendel. I would think it would be better to be paid by different manufacturers for the privelage of selling your trademarked product than to be shut out of the market entirely.

As far as load data, I think I would look at Cartridges of the World 12th ed. They show 6 loads using 100-155 gr bullets and 3 different powders. Claimed velocity for the 100 gr bullet is 2300 fps. and anywhere between 970 and 1074 fps with the 155 gr bullet. Interestingly the heavy bullet loads feature notes about gas port open or closed. Obviously this is a knod to use of a can.
    Last edited by ironduke; 08-19-2011 at 04:38 PM.