Thread: 22 AMMO Availability in your area?

22 AMMO Availability in your area?

Someone at work told me in his TX small town the .22 ammo shelf is about empty at Wal-Mart and they have a sign listing what they are out of. Common calibers like 9mm/.40/.45/.223 the same or, at least, the affordable stuff.

Lot of outta stock on Midwayusa too, especially on "Bricks". I have plenty and haven't particularly been looking, but it seems like Déjà vu ............all over again.

BTW: It appears to be the same story at Graf & Sons/J&G sales others..........
    Last edited by Big Chief; 01-06-2013 at 12:43 PM.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Re: 22 AMMO Availability in your area?

I hadn't checked lately, but it wouldn't surprise me..
    gotta figure because they make an AR that chambers it..
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.

I haven't checked recently, simply because I have about 2k Mini-Mags in my locker.
    NRA Endowment Member

The Wally World here doesn't have much centerfire ammo and only a little more rimfire. I bought the last box of 38SPC they had. It was only the cheap MC stuff but it was better then nothing. I tried to order several types of CF and Rf ammo from Midway and then were sold out of everything. The gun show here yesterday did not have the usual selection.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD

22lr here is hard to find around my area. I found one lgs that had very little and they opened a month ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was at Wal-Mart in Ashland yesterday and they only had a couple boxes of .22 shorts. They also had a sign limiting sales to two boxes per person. Here at home , .22 are still plentiful.

Just came back from a Wal-Mart run, no .22 Rimfire(LR & Magnum), .223 Rem, or 9MM. Since I don't shoot anything else now-a-days I don't look.

But they had a lot of "target" load ammo for .410, 20ga, and 12ga on the open shelves. The "Personal Defense" ammo was locked up.
    Formerly something else and WheresMyKey.

Havent looked much, but the one walmart i looked at had only 22 shorts. They did have a box or two of 9mm and some 40, and a couple boxes of 223. But most evrything, not just the scary ammo was slim pickins.
    That don't confront me, as long as I get my money by next Friday.

Did not see any yesterday.
    Division one critter rescue team leader.

My LGS guy commented the other day "these idiots are even buying up all the .22 we have in stock like they are banning it". The only thing they had in large quantities was .40. I had a heckuva time even finding low recoil 12ga 00 buck. They only had a few boxes of .270 and .300WSM on the shelves. They got cleaned out of everything including the oddball calibers.
    Part of what makes the AK so awesome is that it's the shameless, kinda dirty chick who's always down to party and doesn't expect you to buy her diamonds.

My LGS has had trouble keeping .22,and .223 in stock, also. They order MASS quantities, and it flies off the shelves faster than they can stock it.
    Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    It might not be more accurate, but why introduce accuracy to a discussion about inaccuracy?

My favorite army surplus store had close to 10,000 rounds of centurion 22 ammo. I passed it up. The next day I went back and was going to buy a box or two for giggles....it was gone.
    That don't confront me, as long as I get my money by next Friday.

Last week I was at BPS and could not find any .223 or .22lr ammo. In another aisle I found a bulk pack of Remington Vipers and grabbed them. ALl the Walmarts in the area have no .22 or.223 ammo.

I bought a case of CCI Blazer ammo two years ago that is keeping me in plinking ammo for a while... That $190 delivered is seeming like a bargain about right now...

D
    I'm an east block weapons kinda guy... AK's SKS, Makarov's Tokarevs ... and American guns too.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

Walmart has some shotgun shells, some mag. rifle, no common rifle, pistol, or .22s, Ace, True Value, LGS, sold out.

JAY

All the Walmarts in my area are cleared out of .223, 7.62, 45, 40, and 9mm and .22lr. People are crazy.

Actually ammo seems to be staying in stock in the brick and mortar stores around here, but most of them have either raised their prices, put limits on the number of boxes you can buy or both. It seems like this is going a long way towards deterring the panicking hoarders. At the gun show last weekend there ways plenty of .22lr at normal prices. 9mm and .223 was flying off the shelves or all gone at very high prices. I would guess the local walmarts are struggling to keep stock though because they don't get a ton. Even pre-panic the walmarts around here were very hit and miss on what's in stock.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

Quote Originally Posted by alphasigmookie View Post
    At the gun show last weekend there ways plenty of .22lr at normal prices.
    Crap. Did I miss another local gun show?
    Formerly something else and WheresMyKey.

I have been to two Bass Pro shops and a Cabelas over the weekend. Cabelas had a great selection of all kinds of ammo at reasonable prices. Bass Pro didn't hardly have jack at either location.
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts

Formerly "cletus85"

Quote Originally Posted by Rimfire View Post
    Crap. Did I miss another local gun show?
    Yeah last weekend. Was a madhouse though. Not a lot of deals to be had obviously. They have one up in Chantilly about once every 2 months or so. Next one in Feb.

Here's the link if you want to put'em on your calender:

http://thenationsgunshow.com/
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

This is where I got my M&P (returned) and the XDM.... http://www.finfeatherfuroutfitters.com/

All the 5.56 was gone, but they had plenty of 9mm and .22LR in stock. They even had bulk .22 ammo in dry boxes. Didn't look at .22 prices but the 9mm Blazer brass was $13.99 per 50, Hornady 9mm Zombie was $19.99 per 25, and 9mm Gold Dots were $23.99..... That's about normal.

(this is a different ad picked randomly from the net, but the same thing they had.)

Last edited by jbp-ohio; 01-07-2013 at 06:13 AM.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

I skipped the show at Fernwood, but had a report that it was a madhouse...even on Sunday, the usual slow day.
    Ammo $ was out of sight, selection was poor, most AR types started around 1500, but at the registration tables, it was 7 deep. Buddy bought a Kahr, and by the time he was finishing up papers, 8 others were stacked behind.
    LGS, however, has plenty of ammo. Price is high, but it always is. 9mm blzer is 19.99/50, cci .22 shorts are 9.39/100 and american eagle .22 are 2.49/50

Matt
    Support your local Scouts!

About a month ago I bought ten boxes of bulk Remington Golden Bullet 525 round packs for $19.99 ea. at Sportsman's Warehouse. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Haven't been back since then. Locally at the Walmart and the LGSs there is a distinct lack of anything in common rifle or pistol ammunition, and rimfire is nonexistent. At least I'm ready for the zombie squirrel apocalypse.
    Politics: Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, I realized that it already had.

I was at our local Rural King store and the only ammo they had were a few shotgun shells. All center fire handgun, and rifle along with .22 rimfire were sold out.

Was at the Massillon Ohio Wal-mart tonite. All .22 gone. Lots of .22mag and .17HMR.

They must have just got in some 9mm, as the shelf was full. It was all one brand/type. A brand I never heard of, and don't even recall the name. Didn't even see if it was brass cased. Wasn't Tula.

I bought the last two 50 rounds boxes of WWB 180gr .40S&W. There was six 100 round boxes of WWB in 155gr. I already have a couple of those for my XD40SC.

Still a couple boxes of .45acp. Federal and WWB, FMJ and HP.

Few random boxes of rifle ammo. 30/30, 7mm, and.270 was a few I saw.

Normal amount of shotgun ammo, except Buckshot. It was gone.
    Last edited by jbp-ohio; 01-09-2013 at 06:26 AM.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

LGS has steel cased 7.62x39 for $9.49 per 50. Haven't bought any in a while...decent price? In todays enviornment at least?

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by roadking View Post
    LGS has steel cased 7.62x39 for $9.49 per 50. Haven't bought any in a while...decent price? In todays enviornment at least?

Matt
    Buy it at $200 a case and send me their contact info please!
    I'm an east block weapons kinda guy... AK's SKS, Makarov's Tokarevs ... and American guns too.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

I'll take it that a decent price Dan. I'll get the info. Not sure now if it's today or tommorow.
    Thanks.

Matt

Just got back;
    sold out of that version, but;

TulAmmo 7.62x39, 124 fmj nc berdan primed- 7.89/20 - $0.394 per round - LOTS available 20rnd boxes
    525 rnd Federal .22LR Champion, lots of it, 24.99 per box
    Windowless PMags for ak - $20.99. They have 30. These don't have the dust covers. I might be able to put a hold on them til tommorow...fridays are weekender days up here...lots of traffic and customers around 2 pm.

It's called Hunter's Gallery, Hamlin PA. I might be going back tommorow.

1 M1 Carbine, Kahr, $749 cash...OUCH!
    Only other semi they have in stock is a BSA Licensed Ruger 10/22 for, get this, $369.99! about 100 off retail. Being a den leader, I almost took it home.

Matt
    Last edited by roadking; 01-10-2013 at 10:02 PM.