Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's talk about Single Action Revolvers for Self Defense

Re: Let's talk about Single Action Revolvers for Self Defense

Quote Originally Posted by farm boy View Post
    I do really like that 3.5" Schofield replica. I wonder if you could get a speed loader for it? A speed strip would be useful too.
    I know. I recently realized that I have a GLARING gap in my collection with no Single Action Revolvers. I am between a Schofield and a Remington Replica... Because SAA clones are just too mainstream.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

JH, in MY situation, for general carry, a SAR is a non-starter. College town, rampant drug dealers, gangs etc.
    In yours, I could see it being a fine choice. If I lived in a more rural area, I could see one being mine EDC.

I have no doubt you can use it with aplomb, so if it feels good, do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Jim Wilson on FB
    Rubbing people's noses in stuff is rarely the way to get what you want.

Even in dangerous areas, I could still see a role (backup even) for a Ruger Super Blackhawk, .45 Colt, if things get bad enough, you should be able to access better weapons or have the option of calling in an airstrike !

Bad guys have a tendency to cut & run when seeing the first three or four or more of their comrades eat dirt.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    You're thinking too hard Bruchi...
    I do a lot of that, sometimes works out great, sometimes it does not...
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".

I know it is just a movie, but the gunfight in the house in the movie Django does illustrate some of the problems that occur when you run out of ammo and run out of guns when you're using a single action. Pretty good flick, not for the squeamish.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

If you are ever in a gunfight like that, you better have access to a real live full auto M-4 and lots of magazines !!!!

For the average ( 90 % of ) gunfight(s) a single action revolver with good ammo and good shot placement will do the job...
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

IMHO, it's all about training and preparation. If you've done that, all that's left is attitude.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.

I was searching. single action revolvers on the Google-scape and dug this out of the zombie-chives.

The only time I ever fired a handgun in a state of excitemen, I drew my 4" model 29 and fired one handed while walking. I cocked the hammer and fired it single action hitting the elk in the neck lights out. Im not likely to be terribly effective in an SD situation as I dont train or practice, but I'd be just as clumsy with a good old thumb-buster as anything else because I've used them for many years in the field.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    It's no secret that I've been trying to simplify my life and am, therefore, a huge fan of the KISS principle. Now I go armed pretty much every day and while we have plenty of handguns to choose from, most often, I find myself carrying a single action revolver - depending on whether I'm going into town or not, it's either a 3 or 5 inch. Stupidly simple...Cock it and pull the trigger.... No extraneous safeties to deal with, no de-cockers, no failure to fire, feed or eject drills to remember, no ejector stars for cases to get stuck under... the concept of limp wristing is a non-starter, as are worries about bent magazine lips, polishing feed ramps, or carrying spare mags.

With a well-designed holster, I don't have any problems using an SA revolver for concealed carry. (I'm working on an IWB rig for my Birdshead Vaquero)

The six-round ammo capacity doesn't concern me in the slightest, nor does the rather pokey reload time.

All this being said, where you live certainly plays into the decision, in my previous life, there were places I wouldn't go without a topped off XD45 AND a couple of spare mags simply based on the fact that IF you got attacked it would likely involve multiple attackers (gang country)...Now however, I'm as likely (more likely actually) to be taking a shot at a coyote or putting down a sick cow as I am to be getting into a scrape that would involve pulling a gun.

Your thoughts..... .
    Hell, you're a gun guy, you know the problems you may encounter, you know the score, you do what makes you comfy. I have full faith you'll do fine.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

If that's all you have fine,if not,why would put yourself at a disadvantage .I love revolvers and they are bullet proof as far dependability I guess to each his own.

The only carry gun for me is one I'll carry frequently... I have several CCW options but find "ease of carry" (weight) and "ease of concealment" and "comfort" are the factors that influence my decision

Unless I begin carrying OWB with a short SA .45 (3.5" barrel)... I don't see it happening for me

This is a serious golden oldie....We had this disussion back in 2013 and it's still making the rounds....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Logansport Indiana, by way of Hohenwald Tennessee by way of Cocoa Florida

I have enough guns to arm a small country but I have always preferred single shot rifles and single action revolvers. I carried a Colt government model, 70 series, for 15 years on duty. Used for hunting, I have always used my DA revolvers in the SA mode. I have 2 SA's that would be adequate, a 5" Vaquero, 44 magnum and a 5" Blackhawk, in .45 Colt, and I would not feel a disadvantage with either. Famous old time LEO always took aimed shots. You can not miss fast enough to win a gun fight. Keep yer powder dry........robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO

Logansport Indiana, by way of Hohenwald Tennessee by way of Cocoa Florida

I have enough guns to arm a small country but I have always preferred single shot rifles and single action revolvers. I carried a Colt government model, 70 series, for 15 years on duty. Used for hunting, I have always used my DA revolvers in the SA mode. I have 2 SA's that would be adequate, a 5" Vaquero, 44 magnum and a 5" Blackhawk, in .45 Colt, and I would not feel a disadvantage with either. Famous old time LEO, Wyatt Earp, always took aimed shots. You can not miss fast enough to win a gun fight. Keep yer powder dry........robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    How about elderly and/or disabled folks who simply don't have the hand strength to run the slide on a pistol or shoot a revolver double action? In the past month, I've been involved in introducing three ladies to handgun shooting, and all of them had problems with racking the slide on a pistol. Two of them were wildly inaccurate with two of my revolvers DA, but they were very proficient shooting SA with the same guns. A 6" Ruger Blackhawk .357 with +p 38 Special ammo would be a good bedside table gun for elderly folks with arthritic hands. They just need to practice enough to be comfortable with the mechanics of operating the gun.
    Jerry
    And put laser grips on it for old eyes!

Banned

My partner, Murph, only carried a Colt Peacemaker on duty. It had been passed down his family line since it was manufactured in 1873. With it's bone grips with Death's Head etched on it, scumbags far and wide knew if that weapon got pulled on them they were about to meet the devil.