Thread: Why no .22 ammo anymore?

Why no .22 ammo anymore?

While I don't own one of the rifles targeted by the anti-gun crowd, I understand why people who do might want to stock up on ammo for their guns. Thus, I get the shortages.

I don't, however, understand why all the.22 LR ammo is gone.

Re: Why no .22 ammo anymore?

Because it is now very expensive to practice with (insert popular caliber here). Therefore people switch to using. 22LR and are afraid of not having enough ammo. So they panic buy .22LR until there is none available.
    Formerly something else and WheresMyKey.

It was on the shelf, therefore subject to being sold. That is why it is gone.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    While I don't own one of the rifles targeted by the anti-gun crowd, I understand why people who do might want to stock up on ammo for their guns. Thus, I get the shortages.

I don't, however, understand why all the.22 LR ammo is gone.
    Good question. Hoarding has set in and it has even caused me to get some of the few items left on store shelves before they're gone. My local Wal-Mart was out of 223 ammo a few weeks ago and has very little 45 a.c.p. and 38 special. Forget about 9mm or 7.62x39. Those calibers sold out quickly.

Lots of folks only have 22's and shotguns and the 22 ammo has dried up in my area. I can reload for all the centerfires that I shoot, but good luck with the rimfires. If you run short, you are dead in the water! The only rimfire ammo left on store shelfs in my area are CCI shotshells and 22 WMR and 17 HMR. You can't get 22 lr. HP's or solids of any brand!
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Good question. Hoarding has set in and it has even caused me to get some of the few items left on store shelves before they're gone. My local Wal-Mart was out of 223 ammo a few weeks ago and has very little 45 a.c.p. and 38 special. Forget about 9mm or 7.62x39. Those calibers sold out quickly.

Lots of folks only have 22's and shotguns and the 22 ammo has dried up in my area. I can reload for all the centerfires that I shoot, but good luck with the rimfires. If you run short, you are dead in the water! The only rimfire ammo left on store shelfs in my area are CCI shotshells and 22 WMR and 17 HMR. You can't get 22 lr. HP's or solids of any brand!
    Cabelas had some target 9mm in stock today. They don't appear to be marking up their ammo prices.

Plenty up here...525 rounds are now $25.99. Full shelf of them. 7.62x39, $8/20 rounds, another full shelf. Been that way for many days, just the price keeps getting higher.
    30-06 regular, 24.99 per 20. 30-06 "garand" loads 20.99 per 20.
    Glad I found a good soul who had an extra Lee press!

Matt
    Support your local Scouts!

you must not have paid attention the last time this happend.

"assault weapons" prices rose. "hi cap" mags prices rose. ammo prices rose. Reloading components prices went up too.

22 conversion kits became scarce along with ammo. when CF goes up, people still want to shoot, so they look at RFs.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt

Quote Originally Posted by roadking View Post
    Plenty up here...525 rounds are now $25.99. Full shelf of them. 7.62x39, $8/20 rounds, another full shelf. Been that way for many days, just the price keeps getting higher.
    30-06 regular, 24.99 per 20. 30-06 "garand" loads 20.99 per 20.
    Glad I found a good soul who had an extra Lee press!

Matt
    M
    Matt, got money today, you didn't have to pay anything, I gave it to your boys....

Cost must be the main reason, also wonder if folks figure that regardless of anything they will get to keep guns in this caliber?
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".

And they appreciate it sarg...as do I. Getting some bullets and powder tommorow as per advice in other thread.
    Thank you for opening the door for us...hopefully, pics by the weekend...it's 4 degrees and windy as all heck. I'm not about to treck to the garage in full winter gear til it stops blowing tho.
    Support your local Scouts!

It really is amazing how sold through .22 LR is not even available for backorder on Cabela's, Gander Mountain, Dick's or Bass Pro. I put it out on Facebook for friends and family to keep their eyes out for bricks of quality stuff especially CCI mini-mags. Hopefully there will be some available by the time I get back from this deployment, me and the guys were talking after our mission yesterday really feels like the country is going to in our absence
    There are only three solutions for terrorism, 2 in the chest and 1 in the head

Armymedic, SIR!! Thank you for your service despite the fact the nation seems to be circling the drain in your absence.

Just like everything else, it's called PANIC buying.

I wish I could be a fly on the wall in some of these people's houses the day after this ban either dies in comittee or on the senate floor I picture it will something like one of the following scenarios:

1. (Citizen groggilly shaking head as if awaking from a trance) "Is it over?" he stumbles out to mailbox grabs credit card bill "I bought an AR-15?" "For $4500!?!" "And it's a Bushmaster!!! NOOOOOOO!!"

2. (Similar scene occuring across the country) "Why in the hell is this bed so uncomfortable" Looks under bed and yells," Honey why is this entire bed held up with cases of .22LR rounds" (No Answer) "Honey! Honey" Still no answer our no-ban Lazarrus attempts to exit the room but finds the door and the hall leading from the room completely blocked with box upon box of $50 P-mags.

3. Cut to bankruptcy courtroom Judge speaks-"Mr Smith examining your assests in liabilities this court is interested in how you owe debts in excess of $110,000 to an online merchant known as cheaperthandirt.com?" Mr Smith replies,"Your honor I was concerned there was going to be a ban and I thought I was getting good deals." The judge retorts looking down his knows,"Well it appears this retailer must be very poorly named!"
    Last edited by armymedic; 01-24-2013 at 11:56 AM.
    There are only three solutions for terrorism, 2 in the chest and 1 in the head

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Just like everything else, it's called PANIC buying.
    Right. The last time Obama the Bold and Beautiful was elected folks bought all of the .22 ammo available and the prices of the stuff skyrocketed. Now they are doing it again. If it works like it did last time, it'll be two years before you can buy any again.

And just one more thing. Anyone who voted for this dude (our should I say "dud") should be ashamed of himself.