Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger 10/22 Scope Recommendation

Ruger 10/22 Scope Recommendation

I finally got to shoot the Ruger 10/22 that I bought last year when Cabelas offered me a great deal. While it handled great, the sights (plane Jane wood carbine) were a problem for me. My eyes just aren't what they were. I decided a scope would make it more fun to shoot. I plan on using the rifle for inexpensive practice and plinking. I am not planning on pimping this gun out- just want a fun gun.

Can someone recommend a good low cost scope to me?
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 01-25-2013 at 01:26 AM.

Re: Ruger 10/22 Scope Recommendation

Define: low cost.
    People who say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

I have a Busnell on mine, inexpensive and works well. I can't really see spending a lot on a rimfire scope. Mainly what I do is just use a take off scope from something else that I put better optics on which is how all 3 of my rimfire rifles got their scopes.

timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member

Bushnell has a .22 scope that seems to be a good scope, and priced right. Whatever you get, make sure you have an adjustable objective for close in shots. I like a fixed 4X scope on .22s but you can't find them any more at a decent price.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Quote Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
    Bushnell has a .22 scope that seems to be a good scope, and priced right. Whatever you get, make sure you have an adjustable objective for close in shots. I like a fixed 4X scope on .22s but you can't find them any more at a decent price.
    I do as well....I have an old weaver fine crosshair one on one of my .22's and really like the combo

You could check some of your LGS and see if they have any older fixed power scopes for sale.
    You can usually pick them up very reasonably priced

Weaver has served me well on rim fires.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
    Im REALLY digging my fixed 4X. Its a Nikkon rimfire scope.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    Define: low cost.
    I am more of a pistol guy than a rifleman. I only bought the Ruger because Cabelas had a great deal on them. With cheap ammo and the ability to use it on "short" ranges, I figured it would be a fun gun to have and shoot.

I don't know enough about the 10/22 to know if there is a good, low cost option or if there are only bad, cheap options (I love the cheap sushi ad on TV). If I need to save up to get acceptable optics, I will. But, I don't want to save up to get the best available either.

In car terms: I want Honda - not a Mercedes or a Pinto.

A lot of decent reviews on some of the low end scopes like the Simmons 22 Mag and the BSA sweet 22. Personally I was looking for a budget scope and as much of a bashing as they take and personal issues people have had with the owner of the company I ended up with a Mueller APV 4.5-14 x40 on one of my rimfires. The glass was a lot clearer than most of the low end scopes and the guys at rimfire central love them. Are they a high end scope? No. Are hey going to compare to a $400+ scope? No. However it was had locally for $89. It is definitely better than anything else in that price range and gives the best bang for the buck. Even at the $130 they are going for online they are worth it as long as you are not expecting $800 in features for $130. For the majority of people they work just fine. I am buying 2 more for upcoming rimfire projects I am planning so obviously it is good enough for my application.

It may be a bit more scope than you are looking for but don't discount the brand. Here it is on my Savage.

No, I do not have a pink fuzzy bunny fetish but apparently my Facebook hacking wife does.

Weaver RV7 2.5-7x28mm. Run you about $150
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

The guy a Cabelas tried to convince me their store brand was a good option using the base that came with the rifle.

I am thinking that a Nikon might be worth saving up for.

When I had 10-22, I had a Bushnell and it worked quite well.

I now have a Savage .22, and it's topped with a Burris 3x9 rimfire that I really like.

Bellcat
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".

Quote Originally Posted by bruchi View Post
    I have been trying to figure out the difference between Nikon's Porstaff and their P models like this one.
    http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-P-223-3x...+scope+rimfire

With sales, it looks like I can get a pretty nice Nikon for under $150 but not under $100.

I like midway and some of the rest but when jerm posted a link to Natchez shooters supplies some time ago, I tried them and it's been a good experience. Here's a link to their .22 scope offers. I swear I think they must have some special deal with Burris, seems like they often have a rebate offer on Burris scopes. Lat one I bought had a $50 rebate which I recently received. Anyway, here's the link:

https://www.natchezss.com/accountInf...fle%2520scopes

Sightron has a 3-9x SI scope on sale at Midway for $99. If not, there are some refurbished Nikon 2-7x p-22's at Natchez for $110. It really depends on what you want. What you have to watch on a rimfire scope is the parallax. Most of the regular rifle scopes are set for 100 yards. The rimfire scopes are set at 50.

Midway's Sightron...
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/147...-reticle-matte
    Natchez's Nikon...
    http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...R&src=exrbSrch
    Вернём Америке былое величие

New Plan: sell the Ruger to finance the wife's new news. Thought my daycare bills were about over.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    New Plan: sell the Ruger to finance the wife's new news. Thought my daycare bills were about over.
    You know what? If you are financing those, you are doing something wrong. They don't cost anything to make (maybe dinner and a few drinks), but will put you in the poorhouse later on. Uh... Congratulations. Do you got any new guns for the new addition? May I suggest a 10/22.

What kind of scope are you going to get for it?
    Last edited by Jermanator; 02-02-2013 at 03:43 AM.

...the wife's new news.
    Shouldn't you be posting that in the "Unintended Discharge" thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Jermanator View Post

congratulations (??) Uncle Fester
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.

It was definitely intended. We just had an unexpected bout of accuracy.

I have been trying to figure out the difference between Nikon's Porstaff and their P models like this one.

With sales, it looks like I can get a pretty nice Nikon for under $150 but not under $100.
    The scope on the link here is designed for the ballistics of most 55 grain 223 rounds, it is sort of a dedicated AR scope.

I got some time ago with some luck and perseverance a plain jane new Nikon 2-7X for $89 and shipping but that was some time ago.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".

Im REALLY digging my fixed 4X. Its a Nikkon rimfire scope.
    cpj, what would one like that cost?
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!

With the rimfire scopes the Parallax is set at 50 yards. With the regular Nikon I think it's set at either 100 or 150. For a rimfire unless you're shooting for real tight groups I doubt you'd know the difference. I have a 3-9x40 Simmons Whitetail scope on my 10-22 and it's ok. However, I think the reason it doesn't shoot MOA is because of the Parallax.
    Last edited by snake284-1; 02-02-2013 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snake284-1 View Post
    cpj, what would one like that cost?
    I have the older version of this one.
    Not sure if is the best price, it was just the first thing googled retrieved...
    http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-ProStaff.../dp/B004MYBLXK

Yeah I went to the sight and I liked the regular Rimfire version of the 3-9x40 because these eyes of mine aren't getting any better. Better still the P-22 2-7x32, but it's a little more expensive. Wish my eyes were 30 years younger. 4x used to be perfect for me.

That's only $5 more than I paid for one at WalMart...... oh..... 4-5 years ago?
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

I recently picked up a Leupold VX-I 2-7x on sale. It is now on my custom 10/22. Great scope, nice fine crosshair. Extremely clear
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by snake284-1 View Post
    With the rimfire scopes the Parallax is set at 50 yards. With the regular Nikon I think it's set at either 100 or 150. For a rimfire unless you're shooting for real tight groups I doubt you'd know the difference. I have a 3-9x40 Simmons Whitetail scope on my 10-22 and it's ok. However, I think the reason it doesn't shoot MOA is because of the Parallax.
    Thanks. I accidentally picked the AR scope. I meant the difference between their P Series scopes and their Prostaff lines. The prices seem to overlap for some of the rimfire models.