Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: H&R .357 magnum rifle

  1. #1

    H&R .357 magnum rifle

    Anybody have an H&R Handi Rifle in .357 magnum. I found one at the LGS for $219 and passed on it but I am thinking I should go back and buy it. It had iron sights and scope mounts. What do the experts say??

  2. #2
    Senior Member bisley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    4,200

    Re: H&R .357 magnum rifle

    I'm not an expert, but I do own one in .25-06. I have only one complaint, but it's kind of a biggie. The trigger sucks bad enough to affect hunting accuracy at longer ranges (which is the reason for having a .25-06 in the first place), and fixing it is tricky enough that a gunsmith probably needs to do it.

    A .357 is probably going to be a 100 yard rifle, though, so this might not be so much of a factor.

  3. #3

    Re: H&R .357 magnum rifle

    I have multiple NEF/ H&R rifles, and they are solid guns. At that price- BUY it!

    I have a .44mag, a .45Colt, and a .308. The .308 has my longest kill on game- about 210 yards. The trigger can be heavy, but that can be fixed.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

  4. #4
    Senior Member JLDickmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,615

    Re: H&R .357 magnum rifle

    I had a heavy barrel in .223 that I used as a woodchuck rig for quite some time..
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.

  5. #5
    Senior Member cpj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    MOzambique
    Posts
    17,872

    Re: H&R .357 magnum rifle

    Run don't walk, go get it.
    That don't confront me, as long as I get my money by next Friday.

  6. #6
    Senior Member alphasigmookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    5,141

    Re: H&R .357 magnum rifle

    Tennmike has some sort of single shot .357 I played with at the SE shoot a couple years ago. Was a lot of fun as a plinker.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

  7. #7

    Re: H&R .357 magnum rifle

    My nef 357 handi ........ has had the barrel cut to 16.5 inches by wilson combat ....... who done most excellent work .......... peep sight installed and a taller 30-30 front sight installed ..................... cast bullets clover at 50yds ....... nice gun .... id buy one for that price

  8. #8
    Senior Member MileHighShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    2,770

    Re: H&R .357 magnum rifle

    You can send it back to marlin for a trigger job. The 357 is on the sb2 frame so you can get other pistol barrels and shotgun, but not the high pressure rifle barrels. Different receiver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

  9. #9
    Senior Member MileHighShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    2,770

    Re: H&R .357 magnum rifle

    Oh yea, go buy it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Jermanator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,215

    Re: H&R .357 magnum rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by alphasigmookie View Post
    Tennmike has some sort of single shot .357 I played with at the SE shoot a couple years ago. Was a lot of fun as a plinker.
    Yep. Recoil is next to nil. That gun is a hoot. For $200 and change, I would jump on it. I got a Ruger #1 in .460 S&W. We shot some 45 Colt cowboy loads in it....OMG!!! That is fun!!! It is the same concept with a .357 Handi-rifle. Get it!
    Quote Originally Posted by KENFU1911 View Post
    It's diameter is .277..........the number of the Beast.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    581

    Re: H&R .357 magnum rifle

    First you can not get pistol barrels for it! That is against the law and will cause yo a lot of problems with the ATF. It's manufactured as a long gun and must stay that way.

    That said I'd but it! Since I was a kid I wanted a NEF Topper. I finially bought a Handi rifle. All the barrels need some polishing as they were a little rough but I bought it with the thought of one gun that can do anything. I have .223, 243, 270, 25-06, 410/45LC, 12 guage rifled, 50 cal ML, 12 guage smooth w mod choke and full, 20 ga mod, 410 mod. barrels.

    If you buy it PM me and I'll give you a web site that has a NEF Forum and instruction on how to touch up the trigger.

    Go to the H&R 1871 website and check out the barrel exchange site.
    Last edited by Freezer; 02-04-2013 at 04:36 PM.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Harrisonburg Va
    Posts
    656

    Re: H&R .357 magnum rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by Freezer View Post
    First you can not get pistol barrels for it! That is against the law and will cause yo a lot of problems with the ATF. It's manufactured as a long gun and must stay that way.

    That said I'd but it! Since I was a kid I wanted a NEF Topper. I finially bought a Handi rifle. All the barrels need some polishing as they were a little rough but I bought it with the thought of one gun that can do anything. I have .223, 243, 270, 25-06, 410/45LC, 12 guage rifled, 50 cal ML, 12 guage smooth w mod choke and full, 20 ga mod, 410 mod. barrels.

    If you buy it PM me and I'll give you a web site that has a NEF Forum and instruction on how to touch up the trigger.

    Go to the H&R 1871 website and check out the barrel exchange site.
    What in the world are you talking about???? There are no "pistol" barrels for the H&R handi Rifle. Please come down from Expert mode we are not talking about the T/C Contender.
    The poster formerly known as '69MercCougar

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: H&R .357 magnum rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighShooter View Post
    The 357 is on the sb2 frame so you can get other pistol barrels...



    Quote Originally Posted by Freezer View Post
    First you can not get pistol barrels for it! That is against the law and will cause yo a lot of problems with the ATF. It's manufactured as a long gun and must stay that way.

    I believe ‘pistol calibre barrels’ was implied.
    Barrels chambered for cartridges of a pistol persuasion.

  14. #14
    Senior Member tennmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Under a log
    Posts
    10,590

    Re: H&R .357 magnum rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by Jermanator View Post
    Yep. Recoil is next to nil. That gun is a hoot. For $200 and change, I would jump on it. I got a Ruger #1 in .460 S&W. We shot some 45 Colt cowboy loads in it....OMG!!! That is fun!!! It is the same concept with a .357 Handi-rifle. Get it!
    I got the scope back on it. Also have one in .44 Mag., .32 H&R Mag., and .38-55 Win. The .32 H&R Mag, .357 Mag., and ..38-55 Win. are on 20 gauge NEF shotgun frames. The .44 Mag is on a 12 gauge frame NEF. Built for nothing more than a 'can it be done' exercise. Here's the 'children'.

    Politics: Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, I realized that it already had.

  15. #15

    Re: H&R .357 magnum rifle

    Here is my .357 Handi Rifle. I also have a .50 caliber muzzle loader barrel for it. I have killed two deer with the muzzle loader barrel on it.

    100_0658.jpg

    I also have a .30-06 Handi Rifle. I have killed eleven deer with it at ranges from 25 to 125 yards. That is a Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40 scope on it.

    1.jpg
    Last edited by Win73; 02-05-2013 at 12:14 AM.
    (Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:
    (Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

  16. #16
    Senior Member snake284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Port Lavaca, Texas
    Posts
    8,977

    Re: H&R .357 magnum rifle

    One handy rifle I want, the 45-70. I'd really love it in 45-90. I would guess it would handle high pressure loads where you could make it scream. A 45/90 isn't a long way off a 458 Win Mag.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    God's country
    Posts
    4,290

    Re: H&R .357 magnum rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    One handy rifle I want, the 45-70. I'd really love it in 45-90. I would guess it would handle high pressure loads where you could make it scream. A 45/90 isn't a long way off a 458 Win Mag.
    Here's a right nice 45 70: http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/buffalo.asp

    That one is set up for long range matches but this one has camo stocks and well under $300 bucks to boot.:

    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=328524888

    I have to wonder what impact these new bolt guns from Marlin, Savage, etc. will have on the Handi concept vis a vis market share. Especially when those hit the used market in significant numbers.
    If anyone has an interest, do a google image search. There are some really, really nice Handi-s out there.

    Edit: Nice buck Win73
    Last edited by Razorbacker; 02-05-2013 at 01:05 AM.

  18. #18

    Re: H&R .357 magnum rifle

    if memory serves me . it went like this ........ you had at 1st the sb1 for scatter guns and sb2 for all center fires ........... my pistol caliber sb2's will certainly take rifle calibers as i have them for it .... and then one day they came out with frames made for scatter guns or pistols calibers ....but not rifle calibers........ different sort of sb2 or something like that.
    kind of just confused things a bit if you ask me

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    581

    Re: H&R .357 magnum rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatMattGuy View Post
    What in the world are you talking about???? There are no "pistol" barrels for the H&R handi Rifle. Please come down from Expert mode we are not talking about the T/C Contender.
    Don't be rude! Though not an expert I know exactly what I'm talking about. You can get rifle barrels chambered in pistol calibers but you can not get a pistol barrel for Handi Rifle. To fit a Handi with a barrrel less than 16 inches is a violation of federal law. I believe there's an over all length requirement (Butt to muzzel) but I'm not sure what it is.

    The Contender is manufactured and registered as a pistol. You can get low presure rifle barrels for it without violating the law. The Encore comes in two configurations with a serial #of P or R for pistol and riflle. The pistol can be fitted with rifle barrels without violating the law but the R (rifle) designation can not be fitted with a pistol barrel without a violation.

    I'm not fully up on the laws (lack of interest) but I believe you can install a pistol barrel for a rifle action. There are a bunch of federal hoops to jump through to get a "Short Barreled Rifle Permit" and there are fees involved that make it almost not worth it.
    Last edited by Freezer; 02-05-2013 at 04:40 PM.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    581

    Re: H&R .357 magnum rifle

    If memory serves me correctly the basic design of the SB line goes way back. Harrington Richardson had a Buffalo disigned similar to the current SBs. My experience came in 1970 with the H&R Topper, I believe it was the model 51. It came with shotgun barrels and 30-30 Wincester barrels. Legal problems brought an end to the Topper and the introduction of New England Firearms with the SB1 and SB2 (a revamped Topper). The main difference between them is a heat treated reciever so the SB2 can handle higher pressures. The SB1 is shotgun only with the exception of a 410/45lc barrel. The SB2 wil take up to a 12 guage barrel, a wide variety of pistol and rifle cartridges and a couple muzzel loader barrels. Some Handiholics cut a barrel into a stub then thread a new barrel into it to get calibers and barrel lengths they want or better quality barrels. Others rechamber them an example being 357 mag to 357 max. This also makes a cheap way for wildcaters to test new cartridges.

    There's a website with a NEF Forum on another website and everything you ever wanted to know about Handi Rifles. PM me if your interested.
    Last edited by Freezer; 02-05-2013 at 05:14 PM.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter

  21. #21
    Senior Member MileHighShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    2,770

    Re: H&R .357 magnum rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by shush View Post
    I believe ‘pistol calibre barrels’ was implied.
    Barrels chambered for cartridges of a pistol persuasion.

    Yea, this. Minn nor I, are dumb. He knows exactly what I meant .
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    581

    Re: H&R .357 magnum rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighShooter View Post
    Yea, this. Minn nor I, are dumb. He knows exactly what I meant .
    You have to be specific!

    One day a lady asked her husband to go to the store for her. She said, " Get a gallon of milk and if they have advacotos, get six"

    He returned home with six gallons of milk. His wife asked "Why did you get six gallons of milk?"

    He replied, "They had advacotos!"
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter

  23. #23
    Senior Member CHIRO1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central MN
    Posts
    4,901

    Re: H&R .357 magnum rifle

    Quote Originally Posted by minnesotashooter View Post
    Anybody have an H&R Handi Rifle in .357 magnum. I found one at the LGS for $219 and passed on it but I am thinking I should go back and buy it. It had iron sights and scope mounts. What do the experts say??
    So what did you do?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •