Thread: .22LR Shortage - Why and When will it abate?

.22LR Shortage - Why and When will it abate?

One of the reasons I have a Ruger 10/22 is the ability to shoot away without thought of the cost of ammo. Unfortunately, that plan has come to a screeching halt as the only 22LR I could find was bulk, crappy imported ammo at Cabelas for $50 for 500 rounds.

Are they making it and it is selling out quickly? Or, are they making other rounds (that are also selling out?)

Re: .22LR Shortage - Why and When will it abate?

Can't figure that one out myself. Only thing I can think is some folks get puckered up that they need ammo and pay a visit to the local Walmart. When they find that the only thing left is .22, they grab some of that because they are not leaving empty handed. After a while the .22 is gone as well.

No. 22 here at home, but I've got plenty. Late yesterday at my fav. LGS they only had two boxes of. 380 so I bought one of them. When I got home I found that a little while back I had loaded two boxes of .380 so I just left them in my car. Today while at the same LGS a guy came in wanting two boxes of. 380 and of course they only had the one box so let him have the one I bought. I really don't shoot the. 380 that much and can reload a box in a few minutes so no problem. I believe this shortage will end soon.

That's a damn good question! I have 2 - 22's and 2 - 22 magnums that I have for small game hunting and just for plinking with my kids. I have about 1000 rounds of .22LR and I'm hesitant to shoot any of m'. I have never seen it so hard to find 22's. I have about 300 .22 magnums and I wont shoot them either. Everyone I see that's selling .22LR is in fact selling them in bulk for unbelievable/ outrageous prices. I remember you can buy a box of 500 for like $20. I believe that its all this gun control CRAP that's going on right now. I would like to believe in about 6 months or so it will start panning out again, making it affordable and enjoyable to shoot again. My wife yelled at me tonight because I bought her a box of 100 rounds of Winchester 95gr 380 FMJ's for $40. on the box it said value pack! LOL. The same Winchester ammo that had 50 rounds was $19. Half the time I cant even find ammo, and when I do its SHYT ammo that nobody wants!
    Support the 2nd amendment.
    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Fighter View Post
    That's a damn good question! I have 2 - 22's and 2 - 22 magnums that I have for small game hunting and just for plinking with my kids. I have about 1000 rounds of .22LR and I'm hesitant to shoot any of m'. I have never seen it so hard to find 22's. I have about 300 .22 magnums and I wont shoot them either. Everyone I see that's selling .22LR is in fact selling them in bulk for unbelievable/ outrageous prices. I remember you can buy a box of 500 for like $20. I believe that its all this gun control CRAP that's going on right now. I would like to believe in about 6 months or so it will start panning out again, making it affordable and enjoyable to shoot again. My wife yelled at me tonight because I bought her a box of 100 rounds of Winchester 95gr 380 FMJ's for $40. on the box it said value pack! LOL. The same Winchester ammo that had 50 rounds was $19. Half the time I cant even find ammo, and when I do its SHYT ammo that nobody wants!
    These I bought were only $21.50(Federals) but I reload and don't really shoot the. 380 a lot.

Local store here called Woodlands World has plenty of it. They also had, in smaller quantities, 9mm, .45ACP, .357...etc., along with plenty of rifle ammo., except .308W. They only had 3 boxes of 180gr. SP. Also had a ton of primers, every flavor, and powder. They were short on certain calibers (.308W) of brass though.

At this stage it's nothing more than panic buying. It's just like the last time when Obama was first elected. My opinion of all this is that the Libtards will get some anti gun laws past, but won't get all what they want and it will be business as usual again in a year or so. I still have about 1500 rounds of 22lr left from that fiasco. I also am better prepared all around with ammo than last time, because last time there were shortages I panic bought too. But I didn't shoot much of it up and still have lots left over. Also, I have a lot more stock of reloading components this time too. Though I'm not exactly ready for a revolution, I can stop bad guy from breaking in my house and go hunting whatever I want that's in season of course.
    Last edited by snake284-1; 02-17-2013 at 03:48 AM.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!

There is no .22lr in southwest Minnesota or eastern South Dakota that I can find. I saw a local classifieds ad from Sioux Falls that wanted $98 for a 500 bulk pack of Winchester. Not sure if they ever sold but its nuts.

We've hardly been able to get any in stock at Gander. I still haven't found what my Marlin 60 wants to actually feed, and it bites I just can't go buy a bunch to try now. It'll calm down eventually again, just a matter of time. What I'd REALLY love to see, is an ammo maker take a stand like some of the AR companies have and cancel some gov contracts. Lofty dream I know, but man wouldn't that be sweet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighShooter View Post
    We've hardly been able to get any in stock at Gander. I still haven't found what my Marlin 60 wants to actually feed, and it bites I just can't go buy a bunch to try now. It'll calm down eventually again, just a matter of time. What I'd REALLY love to see, is an ammo maker take a stand like some of the AR companies have and cancel some gov contracts. Lofty dream I know, but man wouldn't that be sweet.
    In the old days didn't the government arsenals make government ammo? Yeah I realize that in war time components such as powder, primer, and bullet were probably limited, but we aren't exactly at full scale war like WWII either.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighShooter View Post
    A Marlin 60 will shoot about anything.

Thankfully, I'm good on .22 ammo. It's ten years old but shoots just fine. Someone said this rush was like when Obama was elected, but I think it's a lot worse this time. ARs are selling for incredible prices.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

I'm OK on .22. I just picked up a brick here and there when it was plentiful. It will be again and I'll get a brick or two every month and keep well stocked.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

everyone is still in panic mode.

so either find a new hobby and wait this out or pay dearly. My LGS doesnt gouge on prices. Even if he can buy ammo, he wont buy alot since he doesnt want to get stuck with overpriced ammo. i cant blame him either.

if you want to shoot spend some $$. not alot but what will get you by for a while.

just a comment, at the LGS they were selling the Remington bulk 22 for $66/carton. the last time i paid for it was 12/carton. i was really tempted to try and sell some there, but with the way things are i probably coudnt replace it for a while. the next time things slow down, try to buy more and shoot less. that way you will have some stock when this happens again.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt

I used to work for Cabelas and that "Crappy imported stuff" - If its German/Wolf= buy all you can. If it Mexican = yea, it's crappy.

I talked with a sales rep from Federal last week - unless we get another buying scare (read that as O'Bama-Scare) the stores should have reasonable supplies again this sumer...but for sure by hunting season. For now I'm just happy I bought and tried several brands of .22 ammo for my CZ - I have several open boxes of ammo that I tied in search of the right one for my personal rifle.

I shot a SB Rifle silhouette match Saturday. A lot of folks were using ammo that I usually see first-timers using, but never the "old-pros." The guy I shot with used Remington "Gold" for the chickens and pigs and CCI Standard Vel for turkeys and rams - but high winds kinda negated the change in ammo.

I hope the sales rep was right about supplies calming down by the summer.

I have a few thousand rounds of .22 LR ammo, but close to half is Match grade. I'm a tad short on plinking ammo. It's slowly trickling in, but most retailers have a 2-3 box (of 50) daily limit in these parts. I shoot .22s a lot so once it's readily available again I'm gonna set back twice what I did last time at least.

I've started shooting my .22 revolvers more just because it takes longer to shoot them
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts

Formerly "cletus85"

Cabelas in KC had PLENTY of .22! If you wanted .22 shotshells....
    Thats all they had.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

So, run along and gargle antifreeze or something.

Personal waffle chef to Neduardo at the 2014 SE Shoot

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    Thats all they had.
    Same at Gander Mountain. If you have time to hang around your local WalMart, you might catch them putting out some .22 ammo. Sporting goods manager told me that they still price their 525rd. bulk box of Federal .22s at $22. Only problem is it's gone in less than an hour. One person would buy everything that came off the truck. This is why they put a 3 box limit on ammo. It's still gone in an hour but at least it's getting spread around a little.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotashooter View Post
    There is no .22lr in southwest Minnesota or eastern South Dakota that I can find. I saw a local classifieds ad from Sioux Falls that wanted $98 for a 500 bulk pack of Winchester. Not sure if they ever sold but its nuts.

This week here at home I saw the last "brick" of CCI went for $21.00. But that was the last one he had. I realy didn't need them and thought I would let someone else have them that may need them like I did the .380 in a post above. Who knows what's next. Still plenty of .17 hmr. at reg price. No shortage yet.
    Last edited by sarg1c; 02-19-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Fighter View Post
    Freedom, in my LGS the manager told me that it'd be 2 to 6 months for any .22 rimfire ammo. He wasn't sure about .223 or .308. Haven't the ammo manufacturers heard of 3 shifts? You are correct about price gouging as well. Lots of greedy folks out there.

I think it's going to depend where people are in the distribution lines. Places that get their ammo directly from the manufacturers will still probably see a solid trickle coming in (Big box stores, large online distributors) and it's just a matter of finding it when it comes in. The guys I worry about are the smaller LGS since it seems most of them have to buy from the same distributors many of us order our ammo from online. Lots of profiteers out there buying up anything that comes on the market at regular price and then trying to flip it for a profit. Don't blame them necessarily...capitalism and all, but does seem to be exacerbating the problem. I offered a brick of .22lr to the RSO who was trying to find .22lr to put some of his scouts through the merit badge program but he needed a lot more than a single brick for the number of scouts he had.

BTW if you're looking for large quantities of .22lr the CMP has some for $275 for 5000 if you have an account. Pretty sure you have to meet the CMP requirements even to order ammo though.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

Last week in the Tucson newspaper there was a report that Homeland Security had ordered 1.7 Billion (>B<illion) rounds of ammo. Enough for every man, woman and child in North America to have 40 rounds. However I don't think they were planning on distributing it to the population. I could read a lot into that headline, but for now I'll just be happy that the guy rummaging around in my dirty underwear at the airport is well armed.

I saw a brick of 22LR at a local gun show last weekend. Obviously old and they wanted $50 for it. I'm not that hard up yet.

Wal-Mart in Central MO got in some limited amount of CCI .22 ammo yesterday. It was mostly Mini Mags and the new "Tactical" jazz... I wasn't there to get it, but it was there for a while.

I managed to trade two pounds of Alliant Unique for a surprising quantity of my favorite plinker ammo--Auto Match.
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts

Formerly "cletus85"

I hope they get this all figured out I picked up a Sig 522 and Sig Mosquito as part of my current "I am in Afghanistan and have some down time between missions so might as well buy more guns at prices most of the general public wishes they could get" gun buying spree. It is really going to stink if I don't have any ammo to shoot between the end of this tour and the start of the next one.
    There are only three solutions for terrorism, 2 in the chest and 1 in the head

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I saw a brick of 22LR at a local gun show last weekend. Obviously old and they wanted $50 for it. I'm not that hard up yet.
    I'm not sure what that exactly means was it collectable vintage ammo?

I still have plenty available here it was $25. for 500 of the winchester.

.22 is going to take some time to be readily available; because once it starts
    getting in the stores; people will still hoard it in the just in case scenario..

I'll buy an extra brick if I see one.
    This message has been deleted

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    Thats all they had.

Same at Scheels in Bismarck last week.
    STEALTH COMPETENT

I know what I'm doing, it just doesn't look like it.