Thread: Old shotgun vs. modern shotshells what can you safely shoot?

Old shotgun vs. modern shotshells what can you safely shoot?

With Dove season rapidly approaching I was wondering what is out there for loads I can safely shoot in my older (1970's) Citori shotgun. I read a blog by Scott highly touting shooting steel HV loads for dove.I really don't care to shoot steel out of my OU . What about tungsten? This shotgun is the one that I shoot the best IMP & Mod chokes, are there some HV lead loads out there that anyone has tried and had success with?I also have a 1100 that is slightly younger, purchased in the 80's, are there chokes available to buy that I could put in to shoot tungsten without hurting anything, I like the hardness + extra penetration it is touted to produce.

Re: Old shotgun vs. modern shotshells what can you safely shoot?

I wouldn't consider 70's vintage old at all and doves fall down real easy. Why are you even thinking about hot loads for dove? Most folks I know, myself included just use the cheapest shells we can find. The wimpy 7/8oz promotional loads at WalMart can knock em out of the air just fine and I doubt that the barrels will unwrap. Hotter loads are a waste of money on doves.

Same here, Fishead. I load a 1 oz. skeet load for dove for 12 ga. and don't have any problem taking them. If you are hunting an area that requires non-leaded shot, I'd go with bismuth. Softer than steel or tungsten, and heavy like lead; easier on the barrel(s) and choke tube(s). The alternative-to-lead shotshells are a lot more expensive, though. If lead shot is a non issue, then promotional leaded shells are all you really need.
    A lion does not concern himself with the opinions of sheep.

I load a 1 1/4 oz. 3 1/4 dram-equivalent #8 shot dove load in my 16 gauge Ithaca pump. It reaches Waaaaaaay out there with a dense pattern. Less than a week until opening day - - - - -I'd better get busy and crank out a few boxes of reloads!
    Jerry
    WE SHOULD PROBABLY IGNORE POSTS CO-AUTHORED BY JACK DANIEL, JIM BEAM, JOHNNIE WALKER AND JOSE' CUERVO

I had been reading some recent articles on dove hunting loads, one was Scott's on the G&A blog . Previously I also had read about loading your shot shells under the 1 oz. traditional trap load to get utilize a higher velocity you realize with less lead. The trade off for speed is of course less pellets in the shell. With higher velocity lead times are shorter which gives the shooter a greater margin for error. Also ,when did manufacturers change their steel in barrels /chokes, to combat the stress of higher pressures from shooting steel shot loadings ?Around 1982 ?

Sounds to me like you're planning on making dove hunting an expensive proposition, have really tough doves or are a REALLY good wingshot that can shoot a limit with less than a box of shells. Considering that I shoot more shells at doves than any other game bird, there is no way I could afford any but the cheapest shells...tungsten? really?

You don't really have "old" shotguns...the quality of the steel has nothing to do with the steel shot/barrel damage equation rather the problem with steel shot comes with the constriction (choke) steel doesn't compress like lead...consequently, running a bunch of steel through a tightly choked barrel just isn't a good idea...in more loosely choked guns it's not that big an issue.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    Considering that I shoot more shells at doves than any other game bird, there is no way I could afford any but the cheapest shells...tungsten? really?
    My sentiments, exactly. The norm for me is to actually hit the bird on the third shot from my semi-auto. This is the most fun, because I get to shoot more.

Of course, if it's a still day, or the doves are flying into the wind, my average goes way up, and that's the way I kill most of them. But it is great fun to shoot at those low flying rocket-powered ones, even if the odds of hitting them are greatly reduced. But when you do get one, you feel like a real stud...at least until the next one humbles you.

I figure it's better to have shot and missed, than to have never shot at all, and besides, I drive 500 miles to get myself into that situation, so I'm putting some lead in the sky, and coming home with a bruised shoulder and a smile on my face.

Just use lead, 1 oz or 1&1/8 shot loads. I prefer Remington heavy dove loads at 1& 1/8 oz of shot.
    However, my Rem model 58 requires the heavier load as it is a magnum version.

The size shot to use is one of those this vs that question-----I subscribe to using 7&1/2 chilled shot because more pellets seem to pass through leaving less lead getting to the dinner table.
    Division one critter rescue team leader.

There's a way to save ammo on a dove hunt- - - - - -just swing the gun and yell BANG! I have just about as much luck doing it that way as I do when there's ammo in the gun!
    Jerry
    WE SHOULD PROBABLY IGNORE POSTS CO-AUTHORED BY JACK DANIEL, JIM BEAM, JOHNNIE WALKER AND JOSE' CUERVO

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    There's a way to save ammo on a dove hunt- - - - - -just swing the gun and yell BANG! I have just about as much luck doing it that way as I do when there's ammo in the gun!
    Jerry
    You Sir are telling a tall tale; I have seen you shoot a shotgun, and an unfamiliar one at that.
    Division one critter rescue team leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    Jerry
    There's an idea Teach! If you yell bang real loud maybe you can scare the poor bird to death, LOL! Seriously, I have used everything from cheapo Remington low brass shells with an once and an 8th lead shot to Winchester AAs in 7 1/2s or 8s. I have even used some 9s. Dove are not Elephant and they die pretty easy. The worst thing about dove is that if it's flying with the wind it can be traveling up to 60 MPH. That makes it hard to hit one nomatter what kind of shells you are using because you gotta hit em first.

I yell at the dog, he's to blame for distracting me at the shot with his antics. Yellow labs are a weakness of mine and my current one is quite a comedian. Actually though I will stick mainly with a field load using Winchester Super Field I have been loading about 10 yr now. I will buy a box of some current super shell and compare results when the opener comes next week.