Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is there no .22 ammo?

Why is there no .22 ammo?

I understand why we are experiencing shortages and higher prices. Politics, fear, demand exceeding supply...

But why .22 ammo? I could understand military-type calibers and handgun ammunition, but not .22.

Re: Why is there no .22 ammo?

It seems people are just buying up anything they can get there hands on. I know some people that have standing orders ( so they tell me ) with LGS and are prepaying for ammo. Me personally I'm not buying anything untill this craze stops, and prices normilize (some what )

JAY

Quote Originally Posted by Buffco View Post
    I understand why we are experiencing shortages and higher prices. Politics, fear, demand exceeding supply...

But why .22 ammo? I could understand military-type calibers and handgun ammunition, but not .22.
    Why is there no milk, water, generators at walmart/home depot the day before a storm? Panic. Hoarding. Empty Shelves. More Panic. High Prices. More Panic. More Hoarding....
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

Training. Training for the upcoming Zombie/Democrat Apocalypse.
    Unless we each conform, unless we obey orders, unless we follow our leaders blindly, there is no possible way we can remain free. - Maj. Frank Burns

Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    Training. Training for the upcoming Zombie/Democrat Apocalypse.
    This, I believe, is the correct answer. You other guys are either in denial or have your heads in the sand.

When the other ammo goes higher shooters shoot more .22"s

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby View Post
    When the other ammo goes higher shooters shoot more .22"s

Plus, when you can't get ammo for your 223 AR, the 22 conversion comes out
    When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. It is only difficult for others.

It is the same when you are STUPID.

I actually have a theory on this. Go to Gun broker and look for .22LR ammo. click on one of the auctions then scroll down and look at the sellers other auctions. Here's one example:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=332284734

This guy has thousands of rounds at inflated prices and he's far from the only one. So I don't know if these guys have a line on a distributor or not but they are profiteering for sure.
    Think about it, the factories are running at full speed making more than they ever have. IMHO as long as people are panicked and keep paying outrageous prices, this will continue.

Edit: this guy has 21,000rounds http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=330857065
    Last edited by Razorbacker; 03-11-2013 at 10:18 PM.

And 5.56? this guy has 3500 rounds plus 100K of .22LR

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=331620853

Go look for yourself, GB is full of this stuff

I hope they gag on it and don't sell it.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    I hope they gag on it and don't sell it.
    And that's the point, until people just stop buying at these prices they'll ride the wave. If this is still going on in '14 and the Dems take the house, I look for prices to double, as long as buyers are willing to pay these inflated prices.
    But I too hope these SOBs choke on it.

Well, considering the prices quoted are current bid prices, they ain't choking.

Also, it's an auction. The buyers are driving the price up. Not the sellers. They buyers are deciding to pay outrageous prices.
    Unless we each conform, unless we obey orders, unless we follow our leaders blindly, there is no possible way we can remain free. - Maj. Frank Burns

I sold four bricks of CCI Blazer .22 LR ammo last week for $260 on GB... Why? Because I had plenty and I need other shooting supplies. I didn't make anyone buy it
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts

Formerly "cletus85"

people are preparing for the revolution! I know one of the LGS here just got a shipment in today on CCI .22lr. They are selling 900 rounds that come in a nice little plastic case for 100 bucks. I went in on half's with a friend. I couldn't bring myself to drop 100 dollars for .22's, I just couldn't.
    As far as 9mm goes, I cant find a single box on any shelf in any store....its disgusting.
    Support the 2nd amendment.
    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Ben Franklin

Wal-mart, Saturday had Rem.Bulk 250 round for $9.98= $2.00 per box.

its called the trickledown affect......

when CF ammo prices go up, people look to other things to shoot and less expensive IE. RFs.

so people will buy 22LR ammo AND guns just to feed their habbit.

it happend several year ago with people trying to p/u 22LR conversions for thier guns too.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Fighter View Post
    people are preparing for the revolution! I know one of the LGS here just got a shipment in today on CCI .22lr. They are selling 900 rounds that come in a nice little plastic case for 100 bucks. I went in on half's with a friend. I couldn't bring myself to drop 100 dollars for .22's, I just couldn't.
    As far as 9mm goes, I cant find a single box on any shelf in any store....its disgusting.
    Check out GB they got plenty

I was in BiMart to pick up some Blue Dot...Not a single can of powder on the shelf, not even the dusty old long grain stuff that had collected dust for years. Ammo? 22 hornet and 460 weatherby, if you want to shoot mice or elephant your in luck. I did find a plus side to this though, I was checking out guns at the local pawn shop and had mentioned I had several 100 rounds of .223 loaded up and no .223 at the moment, he said I'll buy all you have for .70 a round and the same for 9mm. Well no matter what they say an RL550B will not kick out 500 rounds an hour, maybe with case and bullet feeder, but I'm sure trying!!! My right arm is getting twice the size of my left, kind of reminds me of when I hit puberty!

Banned

Stupidity!

I heard from an "expert" that the "shortage" is "caused" by "greed"...
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buffco View Post

You Bastiges bought it all up.....thank you.

Everybody has a freaking .22 to feed.

Y'all's memories are short. Happened during the Clinton gun ban; happened when Obama was first elected; happening now with the gun control push. People buying it up in case and pallet lots thinking to make a killing on E-Bay and such places. And people buying it up like they buy up bread, milk, and soup just before a storm hits. Herd mentality; first stroke of lightning and clap of thunder and the herd stampedes. A few take off, and then the rest follow. Kinda sad when you think about it.
    Politics: Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, I realized that it already had.

I was at some LGS and pawn shops Friday in Eastern KY. and there is some .22 available. I noticed CCI's were a little high. Didn't buy any, don't need right now.... Found some loaded .38 spc. but not many bullets to load.Powder that I use (Bullseye, and IMR 3031) not available yet. Some others on shelf. I might should have bought some primers but Still have some.
    Last edited by sarg1c; 03-16-2013 at 11:44 AM.

Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.

People like me, who already have what they thought they needed, still cruise by the ammo shelves at Walmart and buy their allotted three boxes, any time they have it (rarely)...just because. I scored three 225 round boxes of Remington 'Golden Bullet' this morning for $9.96 a box. That's not my favorite ammo, and a little higher than I was used to paying, but still not terrible. I have family members who did not prepare for this, and if they get to whining loud enough, I may want to bail them out, at some point.

A lot of peppers believe that when Obama finally manages to drive the dollar into the ground, 22lr will be a form of currency.
    Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    It might not be more accurate, but why introduce accuracy to a discussion about inaccuracy?

hey Buffy is right..
    two LGS, two WalMarts, one MTA later.. I'm still empty-handed looking for .22 MAG..

you can shoot .22 WRF in a .22 Mag rifle, right?
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.

How many 22lr rounds for a Cheese burger? Do you get a double cheese burger for hollow points? Just asking. Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by jbohio View Post
    A lot of peppers believe that when Obama finally manages to drive the dollar into the ground, 22lr will be a form of currency.
    Jeff Cooper often spoke of "ballistic wampum."