Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is there no .22 ammo?

Re: Why is there no .22 ammo?

Clinton's threats to gun ownership is (are) the reason(s) I started reloading in the first place. Primers were virtually nonexistant for a couple of years, since then I have maintained enough to sustain a years worth of reloading in case of shortages, but no .22lr? Who would of thunk it... Sheesh.

WW got a case of Win. Super-X hollow points, 100rd box. Got my 3 box limit, $6.97 each.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270

Quote Originally Posted by 1965Jeff View Post
    Everybody has a freaking .22 to feed.
    Some us have more than 1. Takes a lot to feed a litter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Formerly something else and WheresMyKey.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffco View Post
    I understand why we are experiencing shortages and higher prices. Politics, fear, demand exceeding supply...

But why .22 ammo? I could understand military-type calibers and handgun ammunition, but not .22.
    The reason there is no .22 ammo is because of people just like me. If I found 5000 rounds at a decent price, I would buy them. I haven't shot 5000 rounds or .22 LR in the past 10 years. I already have enough to last the rest of my natural life.

D
    Last edited by BigDanS; 03-18-2013 at 06:53 PM.
    I'm an east block weapons kinda guy... AK's SKS, Makarov's Tokarevs ... and American guns too.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

My only comment is this..................

Currently a 500rd box of Winchester subsonics costs me $85nz ( $70usd)

From what I have searched, the same box in the US costs $45 usd.

Welcome to my world..............well almost. Just add another 25$ to a 500 round box and you are in my world.

You guys dont know how lucky you are or have been.

And now for my sponsors message......................... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYvMeT2GC14
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Quote Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
    My only comment is this..................

Currently a 500rd box of Winchester subsonics costs me $85nz ( $70usd)

From what I have searched, the same box in the US costs $45 usd.

Welcome to my world..............well almost. Just add another 25$ to a 500 round box and you are in my world.

You guys dont know how lucky you are or have been.

And now for my sponsors message......................... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYvMeT2GC14

In some places around here, $45 for a brick of .22s would be a bargain. At the LGS, yesterday, they had 1 box of 375 .22lr AR Tactical for $49.95.
    Sub-sonics are a little cheaper, due to a lack of demand.

There's used to be and then there is today's market. Used to be a brick of standard ammo like CCI Blazer was $20. Today on GB people are paying $60 to $75 for the exact same ammo.

D
    I'm an east block weapons kinda guy... AK's SKS, Makarov's Tokarevs ... and American guns too.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

I was out of town last week and stopped at a LGS there. They had the CCI and it was 49.95 a box. They only had 3 boxes and I passed on it.
    We as a country have a blown engine, a transmission that slips in every forward gear, and a rear diff with a loud whine. And our politicians keep trying to spray armorall on the tires and proudly step back as if they are helping fix the car.

Quote Originally Posted by terminator012 View Post
    I was out of town last week and stopped at a LGS there. They had the CCI and it was 49.95 a box. They only had 3 boxes and I passed on it.
    L&A?

.22 are getting "short" around here so I bought a brick of them.
    This last brick was Remington but they will work

Check this out..................... http://www.reloaders.co.nz/All+the+22+Calibers?page=2

Doesnt seem to be an ammo shortage here. Trouble is I cant afford any...............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Quote Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
    Check this out..................... http://www.reloaders.co.nz/All+the+22+Calibers?page=2

Doesnt seem to be an ammo shortage here. Trouble is I cant afford any...............
    That FN FAL-E in the used gun section on that link makes my heart go pitter patter.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by olesniper View Post
    L&A?
    Yep. They had a few. They had a G26 I wanted to but I wasn't paying 759.00. The guy told me they were getting them where ever they could and they had to give way to much for it.
    We as a country have a blown engine, a transmission that slips in every forward gear, and a rear diff with a loud whine. And our politicians keep trying to spray armorall on the tires and proudly step back as if they are helping fix the car.

Quote Originally Posted by terminator012 View Post
    Yep. They had a few. They had a G26 I wanted to but I wasn't paying 759.00. The guy told me they were getting them where ever they could and they had to give way to much for it.
    They dropped the H&K MP5A5 .22 by $100. If they will do the same with the H&K 416D .22, I'll get it.

I work with a guy who is one of those squeeze blood from every penny types. Makes good money but drives a 1986 S-10 held together with baling wire and bubble gum. Digs thru the trash for aluminum cans, and otherwise scrounges scrap everywhere he can....

Even he has bought up .22 ammo. Says he has over 500 bricks.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Yep. Guys like my dad, who probably hasn't shot a box of 22's in the last 20 years, went out and bought 10 bricks right before the madness, because someone advised him that the madness was imminent.
    Guys that didn't have advisors are behind the curve, and driving up prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    It might not be more accurate, but why introduce accuracy to a discussion about inaccuracy?

Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.

Auction tommorow about half an hour away...lots of ammo pictured. Going to try to get there to see the prices.
    Also, local craigslist add has fed 550 rnds .22 for...$100! OUCH! I bought the same box 3 weeks ago at $24.99
    LGS had 1 box of federal, 50 rnds. three weeks ago, $2.49...yesterday 22.99!
    I passed on it...LOL!

Matt
    Support your local Scouts!

Got 3 boxes of Win. 36gr. HP, at WW this morning. $23.17 a box.

I run into some every couple weeks but as I dont own a .22 I dont buy it unlike everyone else apparently. It appears it may be time to buy one.

Some friends on another forum posted this pic they took at a gun show this weekend. Look at the price of the Federal 550 pack. Crazy!!!!!

Some survivalists consider 22 LR to be a currency of last resort in TEOTWAWKI scenarios. This is reinforced because if they are from southern extraction they vaguely remember stories of their grandfather going to the store during the Depression and getting beans, bacon, cornmeal, flour, coffee, and a box of 22 shells. Almost all of the meat in the southern sharecropper diet during the 20s and 30s came from those 22 shells.

BTW I think a 22 pellet gun is a reasonable alternative to 22 LR for small game in the above scenario. I remember my father, who was very close to the southern scenario, taking a Texas white tail deer with a 22 and a spine shot but I don't think that is reasonable for many modern hunters who have always used center fire calibers for deer. I wonder if there will be a run up in pellet prices. Kind of like sliver is now running up because gold has gotten unaffordable for some. Maybe 22 is analogous to silver and center fire ammo to gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. db View Post
    Some survivalists consider 22 LR to be a currency of last resort in TEOTWAWKI scenarios. This is reinforced because if they are from southern extraction they vaguely remember stories of their grandfather going to the store during the Depression and getting beans, bacon, cornmeal, flour, coffee, and a box of 22 shells. Almost all of the meat in the southern sharecropper diet during the 20s and 30s came from those 22 shells.
    There were several different levels of poor, among sharecroppers. The ones who were good farmers and had lots of kids tended to eat pretty well. My dad would get boiling mad when someone would suggest that poor sharecroppers were going hungry, during the depression. They raised open range hogs that they fenced out, rather than in, hatched their own chickens, grew okra in the fence corners where they couldn't cultivate for their money crop, and had a jersey milk cow that they cared for like people care for their French poodles, these days.

I still have their old Stevens single shot .22 that got a steady diet of shorts for squirrels and rabbits. They were apparently quite a treat, after eating pork all winter and chicken all summer.

Biseley: Too true. There is poor and then there is POOR and we lived in Texas. The place a lot of people went to to get land. My grandfather married into land and my father probably ate well. However, if I remember correctly, there was a crash in commodity prices in the 20s that preceded the stock market crash by several years and made a hard life harder. As a reward for surviving that they got the Depression. In my opinion there had to be some pretty desperate people to ever discover that possum is semi-eatable but armadillo chili isn't bad. Also if you spend the day looking at the less attractive side of a pair of mules pulling a plow going hunting in the evening sounds pretty good even if you didn't need the meat too badly. Our cattle were gentle as pets too and some southerners still have the tradition of an emergency cow. But pets or not we raised them to eat them. Once my dad realized we were out of meat in the chest freezer so he went out with the 22 and came back with several rabbits. It was just natural to him.

I'm glad I built up my stock of 7,400 rounds of .22 LR over the years, paying as little as 59 cents a box and never much over a dollar. Whenever anyone would have it on sale, I would buy a brick or two. I have always tried to keep a base of 5,000 rounds of .22.

A few years back, I bought 2,000 rounds of 7.62x39 for $77 per thousand. I have 1,300 rounds of that left. I won't shoot much more of that for plinking unless and until prices come down to a reasonable level.

I only have 800 rounds of 9 mm left. Most of that was bought for as low as $6 a box. So again, I won't shoot much more of it until prices moderate.

I do need to buy some more .30-06. I have enough for one more deer season and to have a few rounds available in case I need to really reach out and touch someone.
    Last edited by Win73; 03-26-2013 at 07:00 PM.
    (Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:
    (Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

the answer is simple... panic buying, were the STHTF .22 lr is a poor mans gold.... loaf of bread 10 rounds, nearely everyone has a .22 stashed someplace

Quote Originally Posted by Win73 View Post
    I do need to buy some more .30-06. I have enough for one more deer season and to have a few rounds available in case I need to really reach out and touch someone.
    For some reason, the '06 market hasn't been affected. Every WM I've been in has had plenty of them, in Win.,Fed., and Rem.

Quote Originally Posted by olesniper View Post
    For some reason, the '06 market hasn't been affected. Every WM I've been in has had plenty of them, in Win.,Fed., and Rem.
    Yeah common hunting calibers seem to still be widely available. Not many people hoard that stuff though as it's fairly expensive and most people don't shoot a ton of it. A box or so to sight in for hunting season and possibly a few rounds in the field and then back in the safe it goes till next year.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

The only ammo that I have found in any quantity is 22-250, everything else is all but empty shelves.
    Last weekend I checked two WM's and found lots of shotgun ammo, 22-250 and some very expensive 7mm Mag.