Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Chance to Ask Will Hayden a Question

Administrator

Your Chance to Ask Will Hayden a Question

We're running a Q & A next week with Mr. Hayden. Feel free to ask whatever you want in this thread. Keep it on topic, folks, but I don't plan on censoring any criticisms. I know we've beat this horse to death by now, so let's be constructive.

Ben O

Re: Your Chance to Ask Will Hayden a Question

I'll open the ball...I've tried this question a couple of times in the blog and can't seem to get an answer...

Is the Desert Eagle with the shoulder stock classed as an SBR or AOW....

Additionally...Mr. Hayden, I'm probably one of the harshest critics of the show...BASED ON WHAT I SEE ON TV...However, I also know how to give credit where credit is due, putting that Lahti L-39 back together was quite impressive, especially considering it's demilled state . I noticed that you were firing single shots with it...does it function well in the semi-auto mode?
    Last edited by Jayhawker; 09-03-2011 at 12:26 AM.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Bob, Scuse my imminent ignorance, but who is Will Hayden? This slipped by me in my educmacational process.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Owner of Red Jacket Firearms, featured on Discovery Channel's "Sons of Guns."
    Unless we each conform, unless we obey orders, unless we follow our leaders blindly, there is no possible way we can remain free. - Maj. Frank Burns

Clean won't let me watch gun shows
    Division one critter rescue team leader.

No thanks, I'll pass...

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post
    Clean won't let me watch gun shows
    Watch them at night with the lights off and the covers thrown over your head

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    Watch them at night with the lights off and the covers thrown over your head
    Division one critter rescue team leader.

Quote Originally Posted by treemanjohn View Post
    So, in addition to being a pedophile freak of nature, he chewed with his mouth open too? I think I'm gonna have nightmares from that GIF.

Pass............

What exactly is the topic? My Question would be....Who cuts his hair? I'm just saying.......

I predict this is not going to go well...However...how about this...let's give the guy a chance, he's been invited into our house and accepted the invite...in spite of the fact that he knows it's probably gonna be a free fire zone...Lets act like the adults we profess to be...got a question or a constructive comment post it...otherwise just let it go and let the tread will fade into obscurity...
    Last edited by Jayhawker; 09-03-2011 at 02:58 AM.

yup, I thought that was a great post...good job sport!

Thanks Bream, I'm kinda ignorant because I'm out of date and haven't watched the show yet. My bad.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

At this point, even I have to say you guys need to get over yourselves and give the man an honest chance.
    When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
    scabbard. - General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Speaking strictly for myself, I would like to see this thread become a constructive exercise, rather than simply descend into another pissing contest between male egos, about who is the top dog in gunsmithing knowledge, marksmanship, safety, legal issues, and a host of other gun related categories. Those are all subjects that we debate here, regularly, and never do quite resolve, completely.

This forum is frequented by a wide spectrum of firearm enthusiasts, and the 'permanent' members have thankfully set high standards for anyone who is arriving late in the game and trying to present himself as an authority. I doubt that Mr. Hayden's intentions run in that direction, but he has delivered himself over, into the hands of folks who make their living trying to create that very image. My instincts tell me that neither he nor the other men on the show are very comfortable with that situation, and that any one of us would face similar challenges, should we allow TV producers into our homes or places of business.

It is completely obvious to me that the show's producers shoot many hours of video and then carefully edit it to present whatever image they wish to project, regardless of whether it harms or helps the image of firearm enthusiasts. I doubt very much that any of those people care about protecting the image of the 'gun world,' as long as they don't get sued by someone with deeper pockets than their own. We see this done to promote politicians and celebrities of all kinds on a regular basis, and there is no reason to believe that Mr. Hayden has been able to control that runaway train any better than others have. Whether or not he likes it or the benefits that come from it is an unknown question, at this point, and this thread presents a unique opportunity for him to instruct us in something that he obviously does know more about than the rest of us.

The easy way of avoiding such a discussion would be to cite contractual obligations that don't allow him to speak about that subject, so whether or not he is willing to risk losing a lucrative deal to clean up his image, here, is the big question for me. I can only say that he won't ever be taken seriously again, with lifelong gun enthusiasts or experts, if he doesn't clear up some of the images that have been created by the TV show. He is an intelligent man who has already figured this out without any prompting from me, so how he chooses to walk this tightrope forms the basis for my question.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyrlf3 View Post
    At this point, even I have to say you guys need to get over yourselves and give the man an honest chance.
    I could not agree more

It is getting quite ridiculous. All of you ninnies whining and itching, over the internet, about a TELEVISION show, need to re-focus.

We all know how things get edited to provide a more "entertaining" show. Give the guy, whom none of us have met, a chance.
    Last edited by Michakav; 09-03-2011 at 01:28 PM.

You should have introduced him and his background, since I and apparently many others, had no idea who he is, until others here identified him. I did see a post about his show, so I'll ask the obvious, since that's all I really know about the show.

Why did you pull a switch with the Desert Eagle/Beretta? Was the Desert Eagle just too much for the girl that was supposedly shooting one? Don't you worry about credibilty? After seeing that, I dont' even have an interest in giving that show a chance!

Tom

That's all I know to ask, and wouldn't know who you are, if you walked into my door right now?

Uh, guys, about the Desert Eagle/Beretta controversy...

Lots of other forums picked up on it and lambasted it. From what I've heard, Discovery re-edited the episode and didn't show the shooting of the Beretta and try and pass it off as a Desert Eagle. Mr. Hayden has also addressed it on his MG42 blog post in response to Ghostsniper:

ghostsniper , no you’re not and it’s a very valid question . I had to ask it myself . Steph told me she had been shooting the DE , it got twisted in her hand or somthing and clobbered her . Production needed another go at it to fix a tech glitch on the audio or somthing so she picked up a Beretta [that she could actually hold] to try and give them what they needed . They’re making a tv show guy’s , they shoot everything real time , but they do have do go back sometime to get different angles so they can actually show the audience what happened .

I've been a critic of the show. However, I will say this: others have raised up my points on the blogs and for most everything, it has been answered. My main last question has been asked by Jayhawker. Let's try and keep this civil, and see how some things that have been brought up are addressed.
    Unless we each conform, unless we obey orders, unless we follow our leaders blindly, there is no possible way we can remain free. - Maj. Frank Burns

Banned

After all the previous moaning and groaning, given Will's explanations and all. I would like to see this thread turn into a serious Q&A where we can ask questions/get answers and even make suggestions for gun builds on the show. I say criticism is fine, but bashing is over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    I predict this is not going to go well...However...how about this...let's give the guy a chance, he's been invited into our house and accepted the invite...in spite of the fact that he knows it's probably gonna be a free fire zone...Lets act like the adults we profess to be...got a question or a constructive comment post it...otherwise just let it go and let the tread will fade into obscurity...

I think this is only appropriate. Given the recent loss of Dan J., how 'bout we approach this the way he would have done it? I've seen a lot of things on the show that I question, but I've also seen some things that I wouldn't have seen otherwise. The Lahti and the Confederate Church bell both come to mind, but there are others as well. Plenty of us are well-versed in our chosen fields, or even experts...but are complete boobs elsewhere. i'm guessing that Mr. Hayden had little or no idea what to expect when it came to the technical/editorial aspects of making T.V. shows. I'm also guessing that he knows much more now than he ever wanted to. The fact that he's willing to do a Q&A here despite the treatment he's likely to see says a lot. I'm with Jayhawker...let's give him a chance. Plenty of time later to call him the fool if he proves to be one.

Administrator

Guys,

I appreciate the sentiments of Jayhawker, coolgunguy and other to bring the tone down to a civil one. Let's do one of two things here....ask a question for Will to answer and/or make a comment or go on about our day. If you're going to come to this thread only to make a snide remark or to let us know that you pass...don't come at all.

I've had some folks call me some pretty rough things over the past few weeks on this forum, and I've apologized, recanted and am trying to rebuild. Let's get rid of the pettiness and talk guns.

How about the Lahti build....anyone watch that episode of SOG? Any questions about it?

I loved the Lahti re-construct. Especially the fact that they had the awareness to have the barrel and receiver x-rayed.

It looked like a heck of a time being behind (or near) that thing.

I'm with Jayhawker...let's give him a chance

What aspects of doing the show do you like the most?

How much control of the show do you personally have?

anything you'd really like to get into the show but can"t?

Quote Originally Posted by mbmm View Post
    What exactly is the topic? My Question would be....Who cuts his hair? I'm just saying.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Spk View Post
    Pass............
    Quote Originally Posted by calebib View Post
    No thanks, I'll pass...

You know what guys, I'm usually pretty proud of this forum but these are some of the dumbest posts I have ever seen here and boy I have read some doozies... Calebib, I love you bro but I'm sure when you have an issue with another man in your personal life you face it like man don't you? I guess it's just easier to fling poop from a keyboard than asks serious questions that MIGHT actually lead you to change your mind or step off the freaking extra-high horse that is getting passed form one rider to another around here...

This topic has all but torn this forum apart and shame on you who are trying to continue down that track. I'm pretty sure if someone followed any of you with a camera all day long we would capture some pretty interesting moments that would make for great TV and not make YOU look real smart.

I think this is just about enough of this nonsense. I give this guy a ton of credit for having the nuts to submit himself to this process and I hate to have a bunch of whining 5 year olds screw up what can be a rather constructive exercise for the adults here. Now how about you all ask real questions or don't freaking post stupid stuff at all.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

I think we need to look at his as an opportunity to portray gunowners in a good light, members are not the only folks reading on the forum. Think of it as an opportunity to have SoG do a tweak on a design like we would like to see, someone suggested in another thread to make a derringer in NYG's .45 caliber, or maybe we can get them to test if porting can catch the shooters clothing on fire, thinking caps folks. Maybe we can teach them a thing or two about removing gun finishes.

Now for my constructive critisism. Please do not take this as an insult but could you please teach your daughter to shoot correctly. I know that it is cute to see her handle all the guns but it is aggravating to folks like me that have gone through great lengths to teach and have others teach their family to become true proficient shooters and see this poor girl portrayed as an expert and she has the worst flinch I've ever seem. During the slow motion shots she closes her eyes before every shot and in one show I saw her try to fire an empty gun and the whole thing dropped abut 4 inches at the muzzle when she pulled the trigger.

I feel bad because to folks that ctually know what they are doing she looks like an amateur in trying to fake her way into an expert role and it contributes to the lack of credibility of the show.

Thanks for coming in here to answer questions and face critics and I wish you all the luck in the world with your business ventures.
    Last edited by Wambli Ska; 09-03-2011 at 05:13 PM.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Hello Will,
    With your shop and the accessibility to permits and such that you have, are there any plans for some nice custom long range rifles or a really nice 1911 build in your future? I know that there is probably a lot of stuff that you guys do that never makes the show, but I'm just wondering if you do any of this in your shop. I'm not bashing, so please don't take it that way, just wondering if they would ever do anything like this in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    You know what guys, I'm usually pretty proud of this forum but these are some of the dumbest posts I have ever seen here and boy I have read some doozies... Calebib, I love you bro but I'm sure when you have an issue with another man in your personal life you face it like man don't you? I guess it's just easier to fling poop from a keyboard than asks serious questions that MIGHT actually lead you to change your mind or step off the freaking extra-high horse that is getting passed form one rider to another around here...

This topic has all but torn this forum apart and shame on you who are trying to continue down that track. I'm pretty sure if someone followed any of you with a camera all day long we would capture some pretty interesting moments that would make for great TV and not make YOU look real smart.

I think this is just about enough of this nonsense. I give this guy a ton of credit for having the nuts to submit himself to this process and I hate to have a bunch of whining 5 year olds screw up what can be a rather constructive exercise for the adults here. Now how about you all ask real questions or don't freaking post stupid stuff at all.
    I didn't make any comments about the quality of his show, the contraptions they produce or any of the crew. I have had my fill of this topic so I chose to leave it alone and move on to better things. I tried to make my announcement of my lack of interest in the subject in a lighthearted way. Yes, if there is someone in my life that I have a problem with I will try to confront them and remedy the situation. If that situation continues to cause frustration and I don't see any constructive reason to continue dealing with the it, I will distance myself from the whole mess.

Again, I am not trying to continue down that track. I agree that this subject has caused a great rift in the forum and I figure I can continue to involve myself with this whole mess or I can move on to more constructive endeavors and that is what I choose to do. If this Will Hayden Q&A actually comes to pass I will probably lurk the thread to see if it has any redeeming value. If it does, I might just chime in but if it descends into "poo flinging" I'll just move onto more cerebral debates such as the unquestionable merits of the venerable .270 Winchester.