Thread: Savage Model 99 A or E?

Savage Model 99 A or E?

A guy I know has a Savage Model 99 in .243 that on the top of the barrel says "Model 99A" but stamped back by the receiver it say "99E" so which is it? And he wants $300.00 for it. Good deal, bad deal, just an OK deal?

Re: Savage Model 99 A or E?

Personally, I'd say any 99 in good shape for $300 is a pretty good deal. No idea on the A vs. E question, but sounds like it might be a factory wrap-up on production barrels. Unless someone went through the trouble to maybe re-barrel a .308 to a .243?

As long as it looked good, and the headspace was correct...... I'd give $300 for it and not care if it matched.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by jbp-ohio View Post
    As long as it looked good, and the headspace was correct...... I'd give $300 for it and not care if it matched.
    Same here!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by N454casull View Post
    A guy I know has a Savage Model 99 in .243 that on the top of the barrel says "Model 99A" but stamped back by the receiver it say "99E" so which is it? And he wants $300.00 for it. Good deal, bad deal, just an OK deal?
    If it's a takedown model someone probably swapped the barrel at some point. No collector value but if it's in decent shape for $300 I'd check headspace and function (just cycle a few rounds from the mag through it) and write the check.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Not a takedown model. Guy is a friend and I trust him he said he bought it new back in the early 70's. I have been searching the interweb all morning can't find a thing about it.

Not a takedown model. Guy is a friend and I trust him he said he bought it new back in the early 70's. I have been searching the interweb all morning can't find a thing about it.
    I just went to the safe and pulled mine to check but I can't help, mine is a pre-letter, manufactured in 1928. But thanks for making me go fondle it today

If you trust the guy I'd buy the gun in a heartbeat.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

It's a great deal. You won't find one that cheap anywhere else.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

If you have the serial number you can get a date of manufacturing and other info here: http://www.savage99.com/index.php

Jump on it.
    Does it have the snabble forearm?

The original "A" was built from 1899 - 1927, SN 10000 - 300000, chambered for 303, 30-30, 25-35, 32-40, & 38-55. The 2ed M-A was made from 1926 - 1937 SN 290000 - 370000, had a cresent butt plate chambered for 303, 30-30, & 300Sav. The M-E was made from 1960 - untill it was discontinued in 1984 SN range 1000000 to present, this was the last rotary mag. made, the E stands for economy rifle fitted with a 20", 22" or 24" bbl. chambered for 250-3000, 300sav., 243, & 308. Yours is a M-E, Dont know why the A is there, possibly a non bored left over bbl.

JAY

The .303 is a .303 Savage, not a .303 British. My .300 Savage was made in 1942, I believe.

What model number is the removable magazine rifles?
    Last edited by Gene L; 05-01-2013 at 06:17 PM.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Quote Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
    The .303 is a .303 Savage, not a .303 British. My .300 Savage was made in 1942, I believe.
    Yeah I forget to put SAV. on the 303 blame it on " oldtimers "

JAY

It does have the snabble forearm.

I checked on Savage99 if I put in the serial number with the B in front of the number like it is on the gun it tells me its invalid. If I put just the number in it says it was made in 1951 or later.

The gun is in great shape I would say 95% or better. I'm going to get it but would still like to figure out what the deal is with it just for the sake of knowing.

Since it has a schnabel forend its a new ball game. The E had a standard forend, is this one a rotary or clip mag?, does it have a stright or curved lever? whats the letter and first 4 nrs. in the SN

JAY

Quote Originally Posted by jaywapti View Post
    Since it has a schnabel forend its a new ball game. The E had a standard forend, is this one a rotary or clip mag?, does it have a stright or curved lever? whats the letter and first 4 nrs. in the SN

JAY
    Rotary, curved lever if I remeber right don't have it in front of me. B988XXX

They did make a run of "A's" in the 70's that were a commerative of sort, built on a E action with the Schnabel forend typical of the A model. Most were in 250 and 243 as I recall.

99A current model made from 1971-1982,22 inch barrel, folding leaf rear sight, top tang safety, straight grip stock regular butt, Schnabel forend. 250,243,300 savage and 308.
    Last edited by Ranch13; 05-01-2013 at 10:02 PM. Reason: add info

It does have the snabble forearm.

I checked on Savage99 if I put in the serial number with the B in front of the number like it is on the gun it tells me its invalid. If I put just the number in it says it was made in 1951 or later.

The gun is in great shape I would say 95% or better. I'm going to get it but would still like to figure out what the deal is with it just for the sake of knowing.
    Look at that page again. For guns made from '49-'71 you need to check the lever boss code. That should give you exact manufacturing year up to 1971.

About all I can is that you know it had to be made or modified no earlier than 1955. That's the year the .243 was introduced by Winchester.
    Jerry

The age of reason...when excuses become reasons.