Page 942 of 942 FirstFirst ... 442842892932940941942
Results 28,231 to 28,247 of 28247

Thread: The last person to post in this thread wins a brick of .22 ammo

Re: The last person to post in this thread wins a brick of .22 ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ron View Post
    Just on the radio here ........schools closed today because of a threat on social media here . The little snotheads have figured a way out of school again ! I hope they can track down who said what & prosecute them for this crap.
    I remember bomb threats being called in when I was in highschool, that really disrupted things. I remember a kid catching a felony for doing it one time.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by bullsi1911 View Post
    I remember bomb threats being called in when I was in highschool, that really disrupted things. I remember a kid catching a felony for doing it one time.
    It is bad enough to close 1 school over crap but all of them ? I hope our slow moving PD digs deep on this one & makes an example of the clown or clowns involved.

Quote Originally Posted by terminator012 View Post
    I never heard of a heat pump water heater. I got to Google that.
    Basically it is a small air conditioner that removes heat from the air with one heat exchanger and releases it into the water through another. It takes far less electricity to run a fractional horsepower compressor and fan motor than it takes to run heat elements. It is technology that has been around for decades (Zorba, that should make you feel better) that has only more recently been applied to this application. The one I bought also has heat elements. If I have the unit in Efficiency mode, it uses only the heat pump to heat water. If I set it in Hybrid mode it primarily uses the heat pump but will kick in the heat elements if the heat pump cannot keep up with usage. I currently have it in Efficiency mode and since it has a 50 gal. tank I have not had any issues with it keeping up.....even with a family of four that includes two teenagers, one of them a girl who loves long, hot showers. There are several manufacturers who make them now. Here is how I selected the brand and model:

A. I had a Lowe's credit card to work with for this unforeseen emergency home repair.
    B. This was the only brand my local Lowe's had in stock.
    C. This was the only model heat pump water heater my local Lowe's had in stock.

So, after a careful and lengthy 3 second deliberation, that is what I bought. Actually, before making the trip to Lowe's I was waffling on whether or not to spend the money for the heat pump water heater (about twice the price of a regular water heater) with the age old extra money up front vs. long term savings on the electric bill comparison. However, as soon as I figured out that I would have no problem running a heat pump water heater on my generator along with my advanced technology (sorry Zorba) air conditioning system that I already had, decision made!

Quote Originally Posted by 10canyon53 View Post
    Zorba, are you just going to let him get away with that comment? Or are you trying to prove him wrong by ignoring it?
    Somethin' like that!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

Basically it is a small air conditioner that removes heat from the air with one heat exchanger and releases it into the water through another. It takes far less electricity to run a fractional horsepower compressor and fan motor than it takes to run heat elements. It is technology that has been around for decades (Zorba, that should make you feel better) that has only more recently been applied to this application. The one I bought also has heat elements. If I have the unit in Efficiency mode, it uses only the heat pump to heat water. If I set it in Hybrid mode it primarily uses the heat pump but will kick in the heat elements if the heat pump cannot keep up with usage. I currently have it in Efficiency mode and since it has a 50 gal. tank I have not had any issues with it keeping up.....even with a family of four that includes two teenagers, one of them a girl who loves long, hot showers. There are several manufacturers who make them now.
    It should beat a std. electric hands down in operating costs. I'm wondering 2 things:

1) How much did it cost vis-a-vis a regular electric? In other words, what's the payback for the cost differential?

B) I'm wondering how it would stack up operating cost wise with a gas heater? In other words, should I replace my gas heater with one of these (when it goes out), or not?

I will probably just stick to a gas water heater when this one goes out. Only costs about 12 bucks a month to run it.
    We as a country have a blown engine, a transmission that slips in every forward gear, and a rear diff with a loud whine. And our politicians keep trying to spray armorall on the tires and proudly step back as if they are helping fix the car.

Quote Originally Posted by zorba View Post
    It should beat a std. electric hands down in operating costs. I'm wondering 2 things:

1) How much did it cost vis-a-vis a regular electric? In other words, what's the payback for the cost differential?

B) I'm wondering how it would stack up operating cost wise with a gas heater? In other words, should I replace my gas heater with one of these (when it goes out), or not?
    The cost was $1,300 vs. approximately $600 for a standard 40 gal. water heater of the same brand. Based on the estimated cost of operation labels on my old water heater vs. the new one, payback on energy consumption alone should be just under 3 years.

As far as compared to gas, I do not know how much your gas water heater costs to operate. If yours still has the yellow energy label on it, the new heat pump water heater's annual estimated cost of operation is $163 for comparison. The next question is, in case of a severe hurricane, how confident are you that the gas will remain on? That is usually the first thing turned off with a natural disaster because of damaged gas lines.

Quote Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
    Shotgun!!!

Whatever you intend first making on a 3D printer I want the 1st one off the production line.

I figure that with your mad genius redneck skills, it will rapidly become valuable as a collectors item...........not that I would sell it though.
    I know EXACTLY what I will make for you. I may very well have to have the CAD mode drawn/edited by someone else, but I know what it will be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

The cost was $1,300 vs. approximately $600 for a standard 40 gal. water heater of the same brand. Based on the estimated cost of operation labels on my old water heater vs. the new one, payback on energy consumption alone should be just under 3 years.
    Expensive, but the payback sounds like its worth it!
    As far as compared to gas, I do not know how much your gas water heater costs to operate. If yours still has the yellow energy label on it, the new heat pump water heater's annual estimated cost of operation is $163 for comparison. The next question is, in case of a severe hurricane, how confident are you that the gas will remain on? That is usually the first thing turned off with a natural disaster because of damaged gas lines.
    Nope, quite the opposite. Electricity fails, gas stays on. Thank Goddess - that's what runs the generator! Gas is generally dirt cheap compared to electric - BUT - I don't have a feel for that here in Florida as yet, electric is WAAAY cheaper than in Commiefornia, gas is "somewhat" more expensive...

[QUOTE=zorba;723692]Nope, quite the opposite. Electricity fails, gas stays on. Thank Goddess - that's what runs the generator![QUOTE]

Don't count on it. As close as you are to the ocean if a Cat 4 or greater is headed in for a direct impact they will cut the utilities before it arrives to prevent collateral damage (explosions from gas leaks due to damaged pipelines....they gotta come up above ground somewhere). That is what they were planning for Tampa in advance of Hurricane Charlie. They never did because Charlie failed to get the memo and turned ashore early, missing Tampa. On the flip side, if a Cat 4 or higher has a bulls-eye on Merritt Island and you are still there when it arrives.....maybe you are not as smart as I am currently willing to give you credit for. (Hey, you were smart enough to leave Commiefornia.) Yes, you have been a "Floridian" for a few months now and have even faced down your first hurricane.......my family has been here since the 1800's.

Yea - if its gonna be a direct hit, I'm outta here. My momma didn't raise no fools!

Uh-huh, pretty much why, but only a part of the story:

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...alley-dystopia

Smart man! I live 50 miles inland in a concrete block house built in the 50's (still has a tar and gravel roof) and I am not sure I would stick around if a Cat 5 was headed directly in. We would probably hook up the camper to the Suburban, hook up the boat to the Canyon and go visit the in-laws in Tennessee.

Smart man! I live 50 miles inland in a concrete block house built in the 50's (still has a tar and gravel roof) and I am not sure I would stick around if a Cat 5 was headed directly in. We would probably hook up the camper to the Suburban, hook up the boat to the Canyon and go visit the in-laws in Tennessee.
    '63 vintage cinder block house here. Sloped roof, but not by much - I think the idea in those days was to keep the houses low and strong, rather than the snow roofs that adorn more modern homes. My main concern is storm surge.

Still feel like crap - went to doc in the box, got an idiot PA who wouldn't give me the antibiotics I need. Instead, we gotta wait a week for a throat culture to come back. I told this *nice* *person* that I was going to remain sick until I got something prescribed - because that's what this body does...

If I were in Greece, I could walk into any pharmacy and get anti-biotics OTC, but in this Liberal cradle-to-grave handheld society we have here that ain't happening. And don't get me started on the FDA effectively banning Turpinhydrate - the only cough medicine that actually worked and was dirt cheap to boot! Fortunately, I don't need that right now...

Still, I pushed and got the last details done on the 2nd door wall-up as the mason will be here Mon-Tuesday and will be stuccoing the boarded up openings in addition to installing the window for the Aughkstra at long last...

Noticed there seemed to be something "suddenly" wrong with my incoming email. Turns out that my site was moved to a new/updated server very early yesterday AM, and my incorrect settings for my email client no longer worked! Wow - why/how did they *ever* work?

P.S. 3 posts in a row at disparate times means I win the ammo! Y'all can start shipping immediately...
    Last edited by zorba; Today at 08:47 AM.

Negative, Ghostrider...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.
    NRA Endowment Member