Page 346 of 881 FirstFirst ... 246296336344345346347348356396446846 ... LastLast
Results 10,351 to 10,380 of 26420

Thread: The last person to post in this thread wins a brick of .22 ammo

Re: The last person to post in this thread wins a brick of .22 ammo

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post

I cut some wood today--------just look at the size of those sections of Dogwood.

What's wrong with your yard? There is no standing water in it.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by CHIRO1989 View Post
    What's wrong with your yard? There is no standing water in it.
    There is some in the ditch out by the road.

Just a note:
    2 weeks ago I thought 45 was cold; today it is shirt sleeves weather.

If it will make you feel any better, I had to park the truck in some standing water to finish cutting and loading my wood today.
    I had already unloaded all but those 2 pieces.

7 hours of "spring cleaning" (shut up, being optimistic) the shop did a number on my back. 20 outside, wood stove got me between 50 and 60 all day, so no complaints. But wearing Mickey Mouse Boots on a 6" concrete slab... moron!

Need the boots for the relocating of "stuff" out of the shop.

Plus side...I'm ready to rock now whenever I get the urge...nothing like all tools away, empty work benches and a clean floor. Will happen again next year...LOL!

Matt
    Support your local Scouts!

I posted on this thread twice last night and neither one showed up. Anyway, Ned, I don't think those big rounds sitting in the truck are Dogwood. Too big.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorbacker View Post
    I posted on this thread twice last night and neither one showed up. Anyway, Ned, I don't think those big rounds sitting in the truck are Dogwood. Too big.
    Yeah. Doesn't look like American Dogwood, either. Wood is wrong color, and its bark is wrong. Could be one of those 'furrin' import dogwoods that are killing off the native Dogwoods, though. That Japanese Dogwood disease has about wiped out the native Dogwoods where I live.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

Do you mean Korean dogwoods, koosas?

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by roadking View Post
    Do you mean Korean dogwoods, koosas?

Matt
    Yeah. But they were marketed back in the '60s as Japanese Dogwood trees, and had different colored flowers than the native dogwoods which had white blossoms. Comus Kousa is the offender. The fungus they spread is deadly to native dogwood trees.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

More Efin snow. Bleh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

I'm Fed UP with Fed Ex. My gun barrel has been 'on truck, out for delivery' since Thursday, and expected delivery date is March 2 when I checked today. It's still too cold to work in the shop, but I could at least hold it and dream about it being finished.

Weather is still cold, rain forecast for Sunday thru Thursday, with snow/ice/rain Thursday. If it doesn't start warming up soon, I'm gonna be hard pressed to get anything done before the Shoot.

I need to get in the garage and work on my stock. But it's cold. Suppose I'll go fire up the turkey fryer and make it bearable. The stock ain't making itself.
    I managed to slip by a little place named Grizzly Industrial today. Anyone got 15-1700$ they want to give me? Daddy needs a milling machine.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    I need to get in the garage and work on my stock. But it's cold. Suppose I'll go fire up the turkey fryer and make it bearable. The stock ain't making itself.
    I managed to slip by a little place named Grizzly Industrial today. Anyone got 15-1700$ they want to give me? Daddy needs a milling machine.
    I'd like to help a brother out, but I got to get my shop insulated and heated so I can work in it in the winter without dressing up like Nanook of the North while the wood heater strains to get it above freezing.

Just a FYI, the mill is the cheap part; the tooling will cost more than the machine!

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    I'd like to help a brother out, but I got to get my shop insulated and heated so I can work in it in the winter without dressing up like Nanook of the North while the wood heater strains to get it above freezing.

Just a FYI, the mill is the cheap part; the tooling will cost more than the machine!
    Yeah. It don't come with a vise. Or collets. Or end mills, or, or, or, or.....

Oh Miiiikeeeeee....

https://www.grizzly.com/products/G0463

????

How about NO! Too small and will make you say bad words. And you have kids, and little pitchers gots big ears.

This one is way more better and can actually do stuff.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Dril...ch-Table/G0705

Edit to add: I've got one of the smaller mills like the one you linked. And it's just fine for making small parts and other light duty stuff. But it sucks like a Hoover for doing anything with a barrel or receiver, or working on anything over a 1/4" thick. Cuts with a 3/8" end mill in steel or aluminum are excruciatingly slow because it doesn't have the power to do the cut without running at max speed, and max speed ain't good. So you have to go slow, really slllllllooooooowwwwwww. Yawn.
    Last edited by tennmike; 02-28-2015 at 09:29 PM.

I looked at that one, but it appeared more like an oversize drill press. Head raised and lowered on a rack and pinion, exactly like a drill press only mo-beefy. The head twisted, if you will, but I suppose that really don't matter once it's locked.

I'll have another look see at it, some(most) of the time the machines at the store are set up by a guy who is barely qualified to uncrate it.

I looked at that one, but it appeared more like an oversize drill press. Head raised and lowered on a rack and pinion, exactly like a drill press only mo-beefy. The head twisted, if you will, but I suppose that really don't matter once it's locked.

I'll have another look see at it, some(most) of the time the machines at the store are set up by a guy who is barely qualified to uncrate it.
    Mine is a heavier version of the one I linked. Head doesn't tilt, but swings left and right. Quill can be run up and down, or locked in position. Drilling uses spoked wheel, and fine downfeed for precision. Head can be raised or lowered with rack and pinion and locked in place, and don't do anything without the head locked in place or bad things can/will happen. For milling I lower the head as far as is practical to not have the quill extended much, for rigidity of setup.

If you need to mill/drill at an angle, there are several tools/vise holders that make that a snap and don't cost an arm and a leg to do it. Unless you get into a high dollar knee mill, that tilting head thing can be a disadvantage.

Edit to add:

I have a vise similar to this one; it's pretty handy and easy to set up:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Prem...-Vise-6-/G7155

also have one of these for the times when nothing else will do:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-Ti...ing-Vise/G7066

And I'm going to order one of these vises this summer because I'm going to get into making my own bullet molds. I'll have to make my own jaw faces to hold the mold blocks for milling with the cherry.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Prec...ing-Vise/H7576
    Last edited by tennmike; 02-28-2015 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorbacker View Post
    It was dogwood, the whole tree was there, fresh cuts were pinkish------the cut you see was an old on done by that machine the loggers use.

Get it if you want it. But be advised; you will NOT get to borrow my "Sailor's Book of Magic Words and Phrases." You'll have to buy your own copy!

You can pick out the dogwood in that pile with some oak next to it; dogwood came from the same tree.

We have pink and white flowering tress here. This one came out of a yard from QTRS when they built the base in 1942, I expect it was the white flowering variety.
    The QTRS are gone now, but, they were still being used when we came here in 1966----streets and side walks are still there.

We have A new ammo CO down near Carolina Beach, Nc.

I thought I'd give their product a try.

WIN_20150228_170520.JPG

NN, the dogwood is easy to pick out in that pile. Bark, and white with pinkish tinge from oxidation coloring, is a dead giveaway. Dogwood makes some beautiful wood products.

Need to have a range report on that ammo. If it's good, and reasonably priced, it will be a welcome additional supplier!

Need to have a range report on that ammo. If it's good, and reasonably priced, it will be a welcome additional supplier!
    I did not pay close attention before I bought it, it is factory reloads, does look good and has a real Hodge Podge of head stamps on the brass.

The Marine Maj that runs the shop said no one has complained that it doesn't go bang.

On, your new pics look like Dogwood no doubt. I've enlarged the 1st pic as much as my phone will allow and having spent much of my life in the woods I've never seen a Dogwood remotely that big.
    But if you say it is then it is.
    Moving right along, I spent hours on Gunsmoke last night and not much has changed. AR still way over priced. And so are most other things. I did put a Tikka .30 06 On
    my watch list.

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post
    I did not pay close attention before I bought it, it is factory reloads, does look good and has a real Hodge Podge of head stamps on the brass.

The Marine Maj that runs the shop said no one has complained that it doesn't go bang.
    As long as it goes bang, and not kaboom! I wouldn't worry about the head stamp all that much. At least with pistol ammo. With rifle ammo, I'd like it to be same head stamp due to different internal volumes of same chambeirng cases.

I'll test it in revolvers first, esp that 625 to see if I get bullet pulling

If it has a decent crimp on the bullet/case mouth it should be good to go.

If it has a decent crimp on the bullet/case mouth it should be good to go.
    It seems a lot of commercial .45 acp ball does not; it is a issue with that 625 and it isn't that light, an "N" frame.

Seems much 9mm has the same issue, at least in the 9mm LCR.

2 more inches on the ground, 2 to 3 more expected. I'm about done with this carp.

Making jerky. Thinking of making a side business out of it. Right now I have a tendency to just give it away to friends, but word has spread and I'm getting lots of requests. Hey, beef, seasoning, time and electric ain't cheap, and a license for PA is around $35; cottage food permit.
    Until I decide, it's just for family for a while...make them go into the DTs

Matt