Page 796 of 852 FirstFirst ... 296696746786794795796797798806846 ... LastLast
Results 23,851 to 23,880 of 25542

Thread: The last person to post in this thread wins a brick of .22 ammo

Re: The last person to post in this thread wins a brick of .22 ammo

If you are just trying to cool one room a window unit should work just fine, but running a few in tandem will cost a lot more. Pros and cons to both.

Surely would be a lot cheaper to start out with and use rather than having a new central unit installed.

Heck if you just need it in that room now and again get a window unit, but if you want to keep the whole house cooled all the time at the same time get a bigger central unit.

We have a couple AC guys on here who may have some good pointers for you who aren't trying to sell you anything.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

I think they are a lot better than they were years ago (window units) and they have different kinds like stand alone you can buy now that don't use a window, but a slot cut into the wall.

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Window-air-...ing/3788568798
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions

Oldest was having an issue and needed my help. Her and the wife were yelling. I say "everyone calm down, everyone quit yelling. "
    The Child listened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Quote Originally Posted by zorba View Post
    Lost compression in #2, due to a burned exhaust valve. Mechanic says the lash was WAAAY to tight - and I'd had it adjusted just before I left California. Those engines generally need a valve job somewhere between 300K and 400K miles - turned out all 5 exhaust valves had just about had it, so we replaced all of them, plus all 10 valve guides. Intake valves were still in spec for new, so they're fine. My only complaint is that this guy is slow, but he seems good, so I won't complain (too much).
    There is good work, and there is fast work. It was adjusted fast in CA....
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Varmintmist View Post
    There is good work, and there is fast work. It was adjusted fast in CA....
    That's what I'm thinking - and I think it may have been going on for some time.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

I just spent 45 minutes looking for my damn eyeglasses in the dark. They weren't on my nightstand, and I was blundering around trying not to wake my wife up. Finally turned on the light and continued the search. After another 5 minutes or so, I finally spotted them on the umpteenth time I looked under the bed - they were practically in the middle of that space. I retrieved them, turned off the light, THEN my wife wakes up.

Losing crap like this is getting more and more common, I still haven't the slightest idea how they got where they were...

The house is haunted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by LMLarsen View Post
    The house is haunted.
    Onset of dementia, he is forgetting he reads under the bed.
    Quote Originally Posted by cjp View Post
    ..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.
    I'll never hear the end of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    ...But seriously Shush....

[QUOTE=zorba;664698]I just spent 45 minutes looking for my damn eyeglasses in the dark. They weren't on my nightstand, and I was blundering around trying not to wake my wife up. Finally turned on the light and continued the search. After another 5 minutes or so, I finally spotted them on the umpteenth time I looked under the bed - they were practically in the middle of that space. I retrieved them, turned off the light, THEN my wife wakes up.

Losing crap like this is getting more and more common, I still haven't the slightest idea how they got where they were...

[/QUOTE

Part of gettin to be an old(er) fart. At least, when you park in a big crowded parking lot your old MB is distinctive enough to stand out among the crowd so you can spot it easy without gettin that stupid look on your face that seems to exclaim now where did I park, I can't remember..............don't ask me how I know the feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post

Part of gettin to be an old(er) fart. At least, when you park in a big crowded parking lot your old MB is distinctive enough to stand out among the crowd so you can spot it easy without gettin that stupid look on your face that seems to exclaim now where did I park, I can't remember..............don't ask me how I know the feeling.

Until a big van parks right in front of it, and it just...................... disappears.

And don't ask me how I know that.
    Last edited by shush; 06-22-2017 at 01:15 PM. Reason: :confused:

Remember them stupid Styrofoam brightly colored balls the radio stations would pass out to folks to put on their car antennas so if their roving radio host got behind you in traffic and you happened to have their station tuned in and would know to pull over when he announced your vehicle on air to win the daily cash giveaway. You could spot them a good distance away providing you had your antenna all the way extended.

Of course, this was before cell phones/I-phones and unobtrusive antennas.

When you are dealing with three cars and you have to look at the key to remember which car you arrived in.

When two are petrol and one is diesel.

That can be fun when filling up, also.
    Last edited by shush; 06-22-2017 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Varmintmist View Post
    There is good work, and there is fast work.
    There is also half-fast work, and there's far too much of it! I spent 30-something years trying to prevent that problem by teaching kids how to do things the right way, the first time!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    "When a man's down, KICK HIM! If he survives it he can rise above it!"

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    Oldest was having an issue and needed my help. Her and the wife were yelling. I say "everyone calm down, everyone quit yelling. "
    The Child listened.
    That's how you can tell you have been beating them enough
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by CHIRO1989 View Post
    That's how you can tell you have been beating them enough
    Not really.
    I said BOTH were yelling, and only the child stopped.
    I swear to God I was this close to screaming "CAN EVERYONE SHUT THE UP ONE MINUTE?!? EVERYONE!"

Not really.
    I said BOTH were yelling, and only the child stopped.
    I swear to God I was this close to screaming "CAN EVERYONE SHUT THE UP ONE MINUTE?!? EVERYONE!"
    Last edited by tennmike; 06-22-2017 at 05:25 PM.
    "Tyranny is wonderfully ingenious in the art of inventing specious phrases to spread over its nefarious designs." From the book Tyranny Unmasked by John Taylor of Caloline County, VA. 1821

When will security companies learn to not call me? I don't need an alarm. I have one. It's what I do.
    First call may get a "don't call me again", (depends on my mood) second call gets a "don't ing call me again you stupid mother er!"

Just got a second call...

Don't get me started. I waste at least an hour a day dealing with cold-calls and emails from idiots who want to sell me their crap.

Then there are the LinkedIn invites. I really want that Easy Button reprogrammed with Pacino from Heat...
    A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.
    NRA Endowment Member

I was thinking that too - this HVAC guy insisted that a through the wall unit would cost $$$$ to operate, which makes zero sense to me. Tonnage is tonnage...
    Yep I think you're right on there. Tonnage is tonnage. But, I'm here to testify you'll get by cheaper utility bill wise with a larger single unit. Each unit you add will use more than the total of one big unit. You got pumping and friction losses and each additional unit multiplies that. How old is the central unit? If it's 10 years old it is probably a bit less efficient than the newer units, plus it's getting old and subject to breakdowns, so if you can swing a new unit I'd up grade to a 4 or even a 5 ton unit.

If ya don't believe this, think about a boat. A twin engine boat will burn more fuel per hour than a single with the same total power output. Same with planes. That's why the newer passenger planes have two really large engines as opposed to four smaller ones.
    Last edited by snake284; 06-22-2017 at 08:10 PM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    Yep I think you're right on there. Tonnage is tonnage. But, I'm here to testify you'll get by cheaper utility bill wise with a larger single unit. Each unit you add will use more than the total of one big unit. You got pumping and friction losses and each additional unit multiplies that. How old is the central unit? If it's 10 years old it is probably a bit less efficient than the newer units, plus it's getting old and subject to breakdowns, so if you can swing a new unit I'd up grade to a 4 or even a 5 ton unit.

If ya don't believe this, think about a boat. A twin engine boat will burn more fuel per hour than a single with the same total power output. Same with planes. That's why the newer passenger planes have two really large engines as opposed to four smaller ones.
    No, I got that. My point is the difference in operating costs between a mini-split and a through-wall of the same tonnage. This guy said the through-wall would cost a small fortune.

So I thought I'd get a jump on my DL# renewal by a couple months so I went to the place today. They mail you a postcard saying bring this and this and this to document who you is. I checked and rechecked. Two letters mailed to you from something like a utilities company, bank or official Govt office of some kind. SS card (I misplaced mine years ago, but have letters from the SS Admin with my address and full SS#) and birth certificate........

Well I had everything and it was going smooth until they decided they didn't like my photocopy with a stamp and signature from an official verifying it is a true copy. Said it was old and needed a raised seal. But they would take a passport, even an expired one, to prove I was a US Citizen. So I left and returned with one. I also had my DD214s/Ret Army ID, valid FLA Lic # and plenty of other documents to prove I am legal...............I think if I would have got the nice lady I had the second time at first they would have taken what I had.

One seemed happy with the BC I had and another did not and when they both went to ask a supervisor I knew it probably wouldn't end well. So a trip home and back I went.

Went smoothly 2nd try. Then she says step over here and take the eye test.........I just left my glasses on because I knew from years ago it was close without them. Passed with flying colors. I have been wearing my glasses for years anyway when I drive. Now it is a restriction on my DL#

So 50 some odd bucks later I'm good until 2025. And even then I can renew online I think she said.

I understand why they make you go through an ID goat screw, but the BC I had got me in the Army and jobs and passports and all kinds of other things over the years. Only have to do that once to comply with FLA law and Homeland Security.

Well if I was was illegal they probably would have given me a state ID and an EBT card, medical and housing and offered free legal assistance............without any paperwork!

Seems the last time I renewed online I was under the window for all this new stuff they want these days.

Oh well I'm good for 8 more years anyhow. New LIC# has a star embedded I guess so I don't have to go through all that again.
    Last edited by Big Chief; 06-22-2017 at 10:52 PM.

BC?
    NRA Endowment Member

Birth Certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    Birth Certificate.

No, I got that. My point is the difference in operating costs between a mini-split and a through-wall of the same tonnage. This guy said the through-wall would cost a small fortune.
    You may or may not get this but it is what it is. When a contractor goes to a home to bid a job, they try to read the customer to determine what they can charge. There's some variables in there and I'm not trying to justify anything but that's how it works and it doesn't matter if it's electrical, plumbing, roofing, HVAC, whatever. If a male customer shows up in a skirt with polished nails, big earrings, makeup, ect..., The contractor is going to think that they're wealthy and eccentric and set their price accordingly. If they look normal and smart, they will get a better price. Take this advice for what it cost you.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    You may or may not get this but it is what it is. When a contractor goes to a home to bid a job, they try to read the customer to determine what they can charge. There's some variables in there and I'm not trying to justify anything but that's how it works and it doesn't matter if it's electrical, plumbing, roofing, HVAC, whatever. If a male customer shows up in a skirt with polished nails, big earrings, makeup, ect..., The contractor is going to think that they're wealthy and eccentric and set their price accordingly. If they look normal and smart, they will get a better price. Take this advice for what it cost you.
    Naw, no makeup, small earrings, and no nails right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    While I agree with you 100% on reading customers and pricing accordingly, I have to ask when's the last time you bid a job to a dude in a dress?

While I agree with you 100% on reading customers and pricing accordingly, I have to ask when's the last time you bid a job to a dude to blow it up his dress?

Indeed.

While I agree with you 100% on reading customers and pricing accordingly, I have to ask when's the last time you bid a job to a dude in a dress?
    Skirt, skirt, Skirt, SKIRT, SKIRRRRRRTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skirt, skirt, Skirt, SKIRT, SKIRRRRRRTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We've got pics. Sayin