Thread: AR-15 recommendations

AR-15 recommendations

Ok, I know this might start a war but here goes. I am looking at purchasing an AR-15 and I am looking for suggestions. One of the primary requirements must be reliability. I am not looking for "fancy" but rather a more "traditional standard" type weapon (accessories later maybe). I know this has been discussed at least 1743 (+/-) times but putting all of the information together would take a lifetime. I am looking for action type recommendations - brand/model - with a reasonably short reasoning and prices (approx. if you have it). I am only interested in 223/5.56 AR-15 platforms. Uses are HD, limited hunting, and target (plinking type). I will use this information to begin my research with. I currently use a Mossberg 500 (18.5) and Ruger LC9 for HD. This will be more of a fun gun and a sidekick to my Mini 14. Thanks in advance to all.

Re: AR-15 recommendations

Why did you think this topic would start a war? Plenty of AR owners here but not as rabid as AR15.com.

Just about any AR these days are reliable out the box.....and prices vary by location and brand. A Bushmaster might be found cheaper in Georgia VS Colorado..........same rifle, just different economies.

IMHO........if you pay over $1000 for an AR type rifle in .223..........you're either stupid or you have no choice. I've built a couple that push the $1200 mark.....but they are custom projects with all the bells and whistles that suit me. You can build a very basic AR for around $700 if you shop smart.

Quick addition - I am not looking to build an AR but rather a currently available "out of the box" option.

Well being the owner of an Armalite AR-15 and a AR-10 this would be my recommendation .

DPMS, the local boys in my neck of the woods.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

I have a Rock River, and so does my stepson. They are really nice IMHO and worth another $200 over the cheaper brands. There are some on Gunbroker for $800-$850...

Otherwise, I would get a real Colt. You can even get a real COlt AR at Walmart...... at least you can around here.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

You can't go wrong with a Colt 6920.

If you want basic check out DPMS.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Quote Originally Posted by Diver43 View Post
    If you want basic check out DPMS.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    The list would be a lot shorter if you asked what to avoid. LOTS of good ones out there. Colt, RRA, DPMS, Stag Arms will all do what you need. Just look for a model you like at the price point you want it at.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    The list would be a lot shorter if you asked what to avoid. LOTS of good ones out there. Colt, RRA, DPMS, Stag Arms will all do what you need. Just look for a model you like at the price point you want it at.
    Yep

Not real wild about the Double Star I have, it's got the loosest upper to lower fit of any of mine.

For your stated purposes, I'd look for a H-Bar model, either "standard" or free-floating fore end and NOT a "quad rail", Flat top, and probably a low profile gas block.
    When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. It is only difficult for others.

It is the same when you are STUPID.

I have a Del Ton that has given me good service.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    Not real wild about the Double Star I have, it's got the loosest upper to lower fit of any of mine.
    Accuwedge fixes that. I have a Double Star upper (20" .9 barrel with integrated break) on a Bushmaster lower that shoots dime size holes with boring accuracy. My DPMS M-forgery is a Franken-gun made up of mostly DPMS and YHM parts.....this leaves me with an H-Bar A2 Bushy upper with no home........so you know what that means.......

Quote Originally Posted by 5280 shooter II View Post
    Accuwedge fixes that. I have a Double Star upper (20" .9 barrel with integrated break)
    Not when the looseness is from the lower's dimensions around the FRONT pin
    When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. It is only difficult for others.

It is the same when you are STUPID.