Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old TV western goofs

Old TV western goofs

Was just watching an episode of "Wanted Dead or Alive" and watched Steve McQ fan off two shots with his Mares Leg, like fanning a six gun, without working the lever. Those old Winnies are amazing!!

Re: Old TV western goofs

Hey, it's Steve McQueen! Shut up! :)
    NRA Endowment Member

Nothing like contrails in Westerns.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Don't tell me when I can or cannot use my revolver indoors!"

Anybody else ever notice that James Arness was a little slow on the draw at the beginning of every Gunsmoke show? The other guy always got off the first round, but they both must have been lousy shots- - - -they did it once a week for years and nobody died!
    Jerry
    "We have met the enemy, and he is us!" Pogo

The most common screwups I see are guns being used in time periods before they were invented....but of late, they have been getting better at it...I see Ferguson in "Hell on Wheels" is packing an open top Colt conversion....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Anybody else ever notice that James Arness was a little slow on the draw at the beginning of every Gunsmoke show? The other guy always got off the first round, but they both must have been lousy shots- - - -they did it once a week for years and nobody died!
    Jerry
    That fellow who James Arness was squaring off with at the opening of Gunsmoke was hollywood fast draw artist Arvo Ojala who taught gunhandling skills to a number of the 1950's-1960's era western stars. Notice in that scene as James Arness who stood 6'5 draws and fires his colt that the muzzle is pointing upward. Arvo Ojala was short only about 5'5 or 5'6. Arvo Ojala designed those steel lined buscadero rigged holsters that allowed the hammer to be cocked while the gun was still holstered speeding up the hollywood fast draw.

I suppose it was easy to miss a lot mistakes, back then, since most of us were watching on a 19" B&W tv with rabbit ears and various amounts of snow. Things are lot different on a 55" flat screen!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    I suppose it was easy to miss a lot mistakes, back then, since most of us were watching on a 19" B&W tv with rabbit ears and various amounts of snow. Things are lot different on a 55" flat screen!!
    Ain't that the truth.
    Barry

Let us not forget those rare and exclusive 20 shot six-guns. To think, we were exposed to "assault weapons" at an early age.......cause nobody ever had to reload their gun!

Paladin, in "Have Gun Will Travel", spoke of the rifled barrel of his Colt Peacemaker as if it were an unusual custom touch.

Those 20-shot Colt Peacemakers were pretty popular in the chase scenes in the Roy Rogers and Hopalong Cassidy movies, back before TV got popular. Tom Mix, too!
    Jerry
    "We have met the enemy, and he is us!" Pogo

I remember some of the early episodes of Bonanza which was supposed to be set in the 1860's. The Cartwrights carrying what were supposed to be Henry rifles. These turned out to be model 1873 Winchesters with the forearm stock removed and the receivers painted gold. Some of those closeup shots showing the sideplates of the 73 Winnie.

Wasn't just the westerns either... I recall Cannon going up against a 'Army trained sharpshooter' with his competition 'target rifle' (looked like a run-of-the-mill 20" AR15). The sharpshooter couldn't hit Cannon @ 200 yards with the rifle, (which should have been a chip shot for the guy, considering his supposed abilities, and Cannon's immense girth) but Cannon was able to return fire and score a kill shot with his .38 snubby.
    Tim Mason

Not just the old westerns. "Tombstone" and the gunfight at OK Corral Doc Holilday fires about twenty rounds from his pistol. Both hands. But such things seldom take away from the movie. Same thing in "Open Range."
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

check out the size of the cartridges carried in the chest bandoliers in the usual western when the gun was usually a Win 92

Add to the 20 shot revolvers the fact that the bad guys were always shooting multiple rounds skyward when they rode into town, and still had enough ammo left to rob the bank/stage or have a shootout with the sheriff's posse. Then leave town shooting skyward some more! Ammo must have been cheap and plentiful.

Oh, and no-one ever got hit by any of those ballistic rounds returning to earth!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Don't tell me when I can or cannot use my revolver indoors!"

Quote Originally Posted by coolgunguy View Post
    Wasn't just the westerns either... I recall Cannon going up against a 'Army trained sharpshooter' with his competition 'target rifle' (looked like a run-of-the-mill 20" AR15). The sharpshooter couldn't hit Cannon @ 200 yards with the rifle, (which should have been a chip shot for the guy, considering his supposed abilities, and Cannon's immense girth) but Cannon was able to return fire and score a kill shot with his .38 snubby.
    I remember that one! And my father saying the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by tbarnz View Post
    I remember that one! And my father saying the same thing.
    In defense of that rifle, when I was a member of SAC's Rifle/Pistol team, we had run-of-the-mill ARs (at least they looked like it) that were about as finely tuned and accurized as that rifle could be. The triggers were beautiful and they'd group right up there with modern ARs with floating tubes and all the foo-foo-dust gizmos they have now. But they looked just like a Viet Nam era M-16 cosmetically.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

While we're presenting gripes about westerns, I have one on Tombstone. Doc never said "I'm your huckleberry," and seeing it quoted ad infinitum bugs me.

What he said was "I'm your hucklebearer," but with Kilmer's southern accent it got softened. In the 19th century, the handles on one's coffin were referred to as "huckles." So Doc offering to bear Ringo's huckle meant that he'd happily take him to his grave.
    NRA Endowment Member

By watching the opening gunfight on Gunsmoke, you can tell whether it is an old one with Chester, or a newer one with Festus. Undoubtedly, the gunfight was filmed twice. If Matt Dillon's holster is tied down to his leg, it is an old one. If the tie down thongs are hanging loose, beside his leg, then it is a newer one.

And the ammo in Josh Randall's belt looked the length of 45-70s. I believe the Rifleman fired about a dozen rounds in the opening of the show.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Quote Originally Posted by LMLarsen View Post
    While we're presenting gripes about westerns, I have one on Tombstone. Doc never said "I'm your huckleberry," and seeing it quoted ad infinitum bugs me.

What he said was "I'm your hucklebearer," but with Kilmer's southern accent it got softened. In the 19th century, the handles on one's coffin were referred to as "huckles." So Doc offering to bear Ringo's huckle meant that he'd happily take him to his grave.
    I referenced this on the web, and there is an argument for what the meaning of "huckleberry" and "huckle bearer". However, watching the two times when Kilmer said it, it is definitely "huckleberry." As "I'm the man." It also says that the script reads "huckleberry." And finally, it says on one of the web sites that Kilmer signed an autograph with "I'm your huckleberry."

Huckle bearer makes more sense, if anyone in the audience knew what a huckle was. Otherwise it's an obscure reference.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    The most common screwups I see are guns being used in time periods before they were invented....but of late, they have been getting better at it...I see Ferguson in "Hell on Wheels" is packing an open top Colt conversion....
    Yep, hell On Wheels is fairly good and put a little research into the firearms.

Civil War or just after Westerns having them carry Colt Peacemakers way before 1873 , Calvary carrying lever action Winchesters and a cowboy using the same .45 Colt ammo in his rifle and SA from his gun-belt. No lever guns were made in .45 Colt until many many years later.

How about the sheriff's using the butt/grip frame of their nice Colts fer a hammer to tack up wanted posters!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Quote Originally Posted by LMLarsen View Post

I would respectfully disagree. The huckleberry was once worn in a garland by ancient British knights who'd won tournaments, a wreath of victory, and the huckeberry denoted bravery. The original meaning got slowly corrupted and in the 19th century, it was an insult, implying that the person was a catamite (homosexual sex toy), and the Doc Holliday insult was legit for that era, and essentially "fightin' words".
    -----------------------------------------------
    "Itís time to clean the refrigerator when something closes the door from the inside." - Tricoastal Tracy

Quote Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
    I referenced this on the web, and there is an argument for what the meaning of "huckleberry" and "huckle bearer". However, watching the two times when Kilmer said it, it is definitely "huckleberry." As "I'm the man." It also says that the script reads "huckleberry." And finally, it says on one of the web sites that Kilmer signed an autograph with "I'm your huckleberry."

Huckle bearer makes more sense, if anyone in the audience knew what a huckle was. Otherwise it's an obscure reference.
    Obscure to say the least. They get so many other things wrong and expect the audience to get that one?

Anyway on the mistakes thing. In the opening montage, I think it's the opening, Matt Dillon is riding his galloping horse and suddenly his holster starts flopping around wildly. He finally notices it and rearranges it. Seems like they would have redone that to me at least.
    Also these people were evidently lightening fast at hitching up a team. And their horses are seemingly always saddled. And unless it's integral to the storyline of the episode they never have a rodeo.
    Some general observations. The best look at revolvers I've seen so far are, ironically, on the Rifleman. Ben Cartwright had a magnificent holster. I can't get a good look but it looks like full quill Ostrich.
    And in every saloon they have counter top beer taps. What's powering that beer through the lines? Are the barrels of beer on the roof for a gravity feed?
    Anyway, I'm probably guilty of epic failure to suspend disbelief. Still...

Also means rustic, like Huckleberry Finn.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Sounds like bearer to me in this clip.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jkm1i2o...%3Djkm1i2o6Ri8
    That don't confront me, as long as I get my money by next Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    You live to far North to pick up the accent, and anyway can we just stop trying to debunk one of the best movie lines ever, in the history of ever?

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    Not to this Southern guy.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

I always thought it sounded like "hucklebearer", but, I figured that was because Doc was drunk, which he was, always, and couldn't enunciate "huckleberry".
    Not that I knew what a hucklebearer was before today.
    Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    It might not be more accurate, but why introduce accuracy to a discussion about inaccuracy?