Thread: 700 help. ADL, BDL, CDL, SPS, what's the difference.

700 help. ADL, BDL, CDL, SPS, what's the difference.

Went to the Remington site and with the exception of the SPS, they pretty much assume you already know the difference. In fact most of the copy under the description was verbatim. I understand that they have a number of different models and styles under each version such as the 700 CDL, CDL DM, and CDL SF. However, what are the actual differences between the ADL, SPS, BDL, CDL, and XCR?

Re: 700 help. ADL, BDL, CDL, SPS, what's the difference.

It seems it has a lot to do with barrel length.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_700

ADL has a blind magazine. Used to be the low-end model
    BDL has a magazine with a floorplate
    CDL is the BDL with better wood
    CDL DM has a detatchable magazine
    CDL SF has a stainless action and fluted barrel
    SPS is like an ADL but with a floorplate and I believe a synthetic stock (SPS = Special Purpose Synthetic) Some SPS do have a laminated stock
    XCR is the eXtreme Conditions Rifle
    Unless we each conform, unless we obey orders, unless we follow our leaders blindly, there is no possible way we can remain free. - Maj. Frank Burns

So does that mean the action and bolt is the same on all of them? Quite a difference on price.

Same basic action. The difference is in finish and the amount of work to make it all fit.

The actions do differ based on the cartridge. You have short (.308-sized) and long actions (.30-06 and the magnums.)
    Unless we each conform, unless we obey orders, unless we follow our leaders blindly, there is no possible way we can remain free. - Maj. Frank Burns

Hot damn yer good Earl.

I have two VLSs. Varmiter Laminated Stock.

nothing is functionally or mechanically different in the models. Its all finish, stocks, and sometimes other details like a fluted barrel, or a detachable magazine. You can also turn an ADL into a BDL or CDL with a floor plate kit and a stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

I just have internet search skilz.

Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    ADL has a blind magazine. Used to be the low-end model
    BDL has a magazine with a floorplate
    CDL is the BDL with better wood
    CDL DM has a detatchable magazine
    CDL SF has a stainless action and fluted barrel
    SPS is like an ADL but with a floorplate and I believe a synthetic stock (SPS = Special Purpose Synthetic) Some SPS do have a laminated stock
    XCR is the eXtreme Conditions Rifle
    Actually the CDL is the classic version of the BDL. The reason it appears to have better wood is the finish. The BDL has a hard, glossy finish on it, where the CDL has a soft semo gloss finish. It brings out more of the character of the wood. My problem is for looks I prefer the classic look of the CDL, however for practical use I prefer a Monte Carlo Stock. The comb or rather cheek piece is higher and puts my eye in good proximity to the scope. The classic type stocks, such as my new build with the Boyd's classic on it makes me stretch my neck, even with low scope mounts.

As for the ADL it is a classic stock without a floor plate. The magazine is blind. It used to come in a beautiful simple walnut stock but now it is know as the ADL synthetic for obvious reasons. It, like the SPS, has a rough finish on the metal.Then there's the SPS (Special Purpose Synthetic). It has a functional hinged floor plate.The SPS is nothing but a synthetic stocked CDL with a rough finish on the metal. The BDL was top of the Remington line for many years. It has a walnut Monte Carlo stock that is glossy finished. The XCR is a rough conditions rifle. I think it has stainless steel metal. There are many different Remington configurations within these catagories.
    Last edited by snake284; 09-17-2011 at 08:43 PM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    Actually the CDL is the classic version of the BDL. The reason it appears to have better wood is the finish. The BDL has a hard, glossy finish on it, where the CDL has a soft semo gloss finish. It brings out more of the character of the wood. My problem is for looks I prefer the classic look of the CDL, however for practical use I prefer a Monte Carlo Stock. The comb or rather cheek piece is higher and puts my eye in good proximity to the scope. The classic type stocks, such as my new build with the Boyd's classic on it makes me stretch my neck, even with low scope mounts.

As for the ADL it is a classic stock without a floor plate. The magazine is blind. It used to come in a beautiful simple walnut stock but now it is know as the ADL synthetic for obvious reasons. It, like the SPS, has a rough finish on the metal.Then there's the SPS (Special Purpose Synthetic). It has a functional hinged floor plate.The SPS is nothing but a synthetic stocked CDL with a rough finish on the metal. The BDL was top of the Remington line for many years. It has a walnut Monte Carlo stock that is glossy finished. The XCR is a rough conditions rifle. I think it has stainless steel metal. There are many different Remington configurations within these catagories.
    You are correct for the "NEW" ADL, However the older (Mine is 1985).It has every thing the BDL had except for the dark forearm tip and the floor plate. Mine has the deep glossy finish and beautiful machine work, even the jeweled bolt. It is a very nicely made rifle. not like the black ones sold at WalMart now. Even with the addition of a floorplate ,and Dark wood tip , it would still be an ADL.... I'm not realy fond of floor plate or removable magazine but that just me....
    Last edited by sarg1c; 09-18-2011 at 02:35 AM.