Thread: Corroded ammo.

Corroded ammo.

I found some long forgotten ammunition in an old backpack today. It is pretty corroded there is more green and black than brass. I was just wondering if there was a good way to get it off or if I should just trash it?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Re: Corroded ammo.

I'll usually try almost anything, except corroded ammo. Corrosion eats into brass. Case walls are thin. With a weak spot in the brass, the only thing between your face and several thousand psi is the gas diversion vent on your rig.

I'd write this stuff of were I in your shoes. In fact, I threw away a couple hundred 6mm Rems I'd loaded with VMaxes that somehow I'd overlooked in the toolbox of my truck and they managed to get wet. Soaked, apparently. It hurt my feelings, but my incredibly handsome face is my pride and joy.

Mike

Sounds like it is too far gone to save.
    Division one critter rescue team leader.

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post
    Sounds like it is too far gone to save.
    Would that be the corroded ammo or Mikes incredibly handsome face????

Denny

Quote Originally Posted by wddodge View Post
    Would that be the corroded ammo or Mikes incredibly handsome face????

Denny
    My wife wants to punch you in the nose. No, wait....she's talking to me.
    Nevermind.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Linefinder View Post
    My wife wants to punch you in the nose. No, wait....she's talking to me.
    Nevermind.

Mike
    I just noticed you're in Colorado Springs. The wife and I were in Manito Springs (sp) earlier this week. Rode the cog to get some of those awesome donuts and looked at big rocks in Garden of the Gods. That's some purdy country you got out there.

Denny

Yessir, I'll agree with you. Though I've lived here for seven years now, being originally from Louisiana, this place still feels as fresh as it did the day I moved here.

Wish I'd known you were in town. Would have been nice meeting you.

I've not yet been on the cog railroad, but it's high on my to-do list. But....I want to do it in the dead of winter after the Peak is hit by a blinding snowstorm. That would be some scenery to see.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Linefinder View Post
    Yessir, I'll agree with you. Though I've lived here for seven years now, being originally from Louisiana, this place still feels as fresh as it did the day I moved here.

Wish I'd known you were in town. Would have been nice meeting you.

I've not yet been on the cog railroad, but it's high on my to-do list. But....I want to do it in the dead of winter after the Peak is hit by a blinding snowstorm. That would be some scenery to see.

Mike
    If you get a ride on the cog, try to get a reservation on the last row of seats on the bottom car. Puts you in position to get some awesome pics!!!

I'll keep it in mind if we head back that way. May even make it back next summer.

Denny

To the trash they go thanks for the info.

New question how do I properly dispose of them? Is it okay just to throw them in the trash?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
    New question how do I properly dispose of them? Is it okay just to throw them in the trash?

I wouldn't throw them in the trash. I don't know where you live, except apparently it's out in the sticks, and I don't mean that in a derogatory way. (I wish I lived in the sticks). But, most towns fire department or police department will take them off your hands for proper disposal. If the area you live in is too rural for a convenient FD or PD, the local sheriff's department should accept them.

You could soak them in oil, but to truly make sure they are dead would probably take a year or two of soaking. Unless you use Kroil, and enough of that to do the job would probably get pretty pricey considering you're going to throw the end result in the trash.

Mike

I would just throw them in the trash unless were talking a large quantity of ammunition.

On the rare occasions I have to trash ammo, I take pliers and pull the bullet and dump the powder out. That way there's nothing for the primer to ignite and nothing solid for it to push back against.
    Just because I enjoy watching it, I take powder outside and burn it
    When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. It is only difficult for others.

It is the same when you are STUPID.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    On the rare occasions I have to trash ammo, I take pliers and pull the bullet and dump the powder out. That way there's nothing for the primer to ignite and nothing solid for it to push back against.
    Lol. +1 here. Its hard to get away from the teenage pyro persona.

Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    Once upon a time when I did live in the sticks, I wound up with a few pounds of black powder I had no use for. I dumped it on top of a big fire ant mound in the backyard. Apparently, I didn't live far enough back in the sticks, because it turned out we did indeed have a fire department. Though I felt quite confident that I had everything under control, the nice firemen didn't see it that way. I didn't live there much longer after that.

Mike

Banned

You boys think that smokeless powder is bad..... you oughtta see what flash powder is capable of. I think I mentioned it before. But a form 33 tax stamp is an awesome thing to have lol.

Okay thanks I will just pull the lead out and trash them. I am kind of a pyro too so I will have some fun with this.

You might give this a try before you trash the ammo. I did it once with some 6mms that I left in my boat for about a month and they turned black in spots. Someone pointed out to me that they may be dangerously thin or weak. I took some 1200 grit polish I had and polished the black off of it. It turned out that this was only a surface stain. I polished them all out and shot them. If I had polished them and the stain didn't come out quickly I would have scrapped them.

Also, if they are corroded well into the brass, just pull the bullets and save the components. No use scrapping perfectly good bullets and powder.
    Last edited by snake284; 09-19-2011 at 05:05 AM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyD View Post

I'm lucky, I can take them to EOD and they will blow them up the next time they destroy ordinance.
    Division one critter rescue team leader.

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post
    I'm lucky, I can take them to EOD and they will blow them up the next time they destroy ordinance.
    I'm willing to help blow up Ordnance if they need any help.