Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dick Metcalf

Dick Metcalf

Just read his "Backstop" column in G&A December. To say I am stunned is more than an understatement.
    I cannot believe that in a magazine that I started reading in 1964, that led the way for the right to keep and bear arms, that I have continuously read even when I didn't have a subscription at times, would allow what he wrote, even though it's an opinion column.
    If Mr. Metcalf does not understand the words "well regulated", I will never have any respect for any opinion of his. I have read and studied the times of the Revolutionary War, and pre-war, all my life. I understood "well regulated" the first time I ever saw the words. In the vernacular of the times, it meant "proficient, competent in the use of", not what so many anti-Second Amendment zealots have tried to twist it to mean.
    And now, it seems, Mr. Metcalf. Hang your head in shame, Dick. I'm looking thru you, where have you gone?

Re: Dick Metcalf

Well regulated is not the same as well versed or proficient. It means well organized and obedient, a gang turns into a unit if it has a structured chain of command and obedient soldiers. A militia is not a posse, read this:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/regulate
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!

Quote Originally Posted by 5280 shooter II View Post
    Well regulated is not the same as well versed or proficient. It means well organized and obedient, a gang turns into a unit if it has a structured chain of command and obedient soldiers. A militia is not a posse, read this:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/regulate
    Wouldn't we be better suited by checking the definition from a dictionary of the time?

http://1828.mshaffer.com/d/word/regulate

In any event gun control laws are not in line with the context of the 2nd amendment.

So, post the quote. I'm no fan of Dick Metcalf, but I would at least like to read what he said and evaluate it for myself, before I jump on any bandwagon to "Zumbo' him.

Second new poster to have a dig at G&A?

I do believe this is it.

"And I do believe that their fellow citizens, by the specific language of the Second Amendment, have an equal right to enact regulatory laws requiring them to undergo adequate training and preparation for the responsibility of bearing arms."

Quote Originally Posted by tv_racin_fan View Post
    Wouldn't we be better suited by checking the definition from a dictionary of the time?

http://1828.mshaffer.com/d/word/regulate

In any event gun control laws are not in line with the context of the 2nd amendment.

I would agree with this. Definitions are changed and altered in just decades and if someone is going to argue about the intent or definition of something written in 1791, they should base their argument on definitions and vernacular of that period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffco View Post
    I would drop trou too, and because I am a caring person I would've given that young man a hug.

Quote Originally Posted by Buford View Post
    I do believe this is it.

"And I do believe that their fellow citizens, by the specific language of the Second Amendment, have an equal right to enact regulatory laws requiring them to undergo adequate training and preparation for the responsibility of bearing arms."

Based on his quote, I'd wager that Mr. Metcalf, like many liberals, cannot grasp "shall not be infringed". The meaning has not changed since 1791.

What Metcalf also fails to understand is how many of my fellow citizens would chose to define "adequate training". I recently read a politician saying that the only ones that should be allowed to own an "assault weapon" is SEALs or other people that are members of elite special forces.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by CaliFFL View Post
    Based on his quote, I'd wager that Mr. Metcalf, like many liberals, cannot grasp "shall not be infringed". The meaning has not changed since 1791.

What Metcalf also fails to understand is how many of my fellow citizens would chose to define "adequate training". I recently read a politician saying that the only ones that should be allowed to own an "assault weapon" is SEALs or other people that are members of elite special forces.
    If only SEALs have assault weapons, what would the rest of our Military carry? They have only carried an AR style rifle for over 40 years now?
    Last edited by Diver43; 11-01-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buford View Post
    I do believe this is it.

No. Look at the first paragraph. Quote: "Note carefully. Those last four words say "shall not be infringed". They do not say 'Shall not be regulated.' "Well regulated" is, in fact, the initial criterion of the amendment itself." Unquote
    He goes on to talk about things being restricted, or regulated as if that was the meaning of the words in the 2nd Amendment.

You only have to read the writings of Washington, Jefferson, Hamilton, and the Federalist Papers to be clear on what "well regulated" means.
    Antis have tried to say "well regulated" meant "restricted" for years. I hate to see anything give any credibility in this belief, especially someone who writes for a gun magazine.

Back before I got into guns, before I had a real understanding of how important the bill of rights is, back when I voted for Bill Clinton twice, I read the 2nd amendment. I hadn't read the writings of Thomas Paine, Jefferson, Hamilton or much of anything from the founding of our nation. And I have the same understanding of "well regulated" that I had back then. The people who advocate that it means government regulations are, in my opinion, liars. I was as naive as anyone, but I understood what that meant from the first time I read it.
    When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
    scabbard. - General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Seems that Metcalf hasn't the stomach for offending people anymore, if he ever did in the first place.

Is there a link to Mr Metcalfs statement, before we all get crazy?
    That don't confront me, as long as I get my money by next Friday.

The column he wrote is "The Backstop" in Dec. G&A on the last page. Not sure if it's on line anywhere. When I read it last night and posted here I was a little inflamed at his basic ignorance. As I said, I have been a G&A reader for almost 50 years. I won't stop subscribing because of this, but I won't pay any attention to Metcalf any more.
    Last edited by fideau; 11-01-2013 at 09:32 PM. Reason: mistype

"In Order to have a kick-butt citizen militia, The government cannot stand in the way of people having weapons"

That's the way that I read the 2nd amendment, translated into modern-speak"

IF Metcalf wrote what is quoted above, he has stepped on his own junk. In my personal opinion, of course. I'll be reading my copy of G&A in the hunting blind this weekend.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

The Dec issue is not here yet
    Division one critter rescue team leader.

Ok, it is in the reading room------he said [wrote] it.

So the issue is what did regulated mean when the 2D was written and will the Suprime Court agree.
    Last edited by NN; 11-01-2013 at 10:12 PM.

So fideau did you come on here to join us or be a since your first post is attacking our hosts?

Reminds me of that turd Jim Zumbo. What a "useful idiot" he turned out to be.
    "The reflection upon my situation and that of this army produces many an uneasy hour when all around me are wrapped in sleep. Few people know the predicament we are in" ~General George Washington, January 14, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post
    So fideau did you come on here to join us or be a since your first post is attacking our hosts?
    Hey, if (appears he did) Dick said that....well...we eat our own. Hosts or no hosts.
    That don't confront me, as long as I get my money by next Friday.

What happened to that other guy that came on to bad mouth G&A------does this guy have the same IP

I read that article in another magazine too, can't find it now.

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post
    The Dec issue is not here yet
    I just got my December issue yesterday, and read Metcalf's "Backstop" column. At first I was all set to ridicule Fideau. But after digesting Metcalf's drivel, I tend to agree with Fideau. Metcalf is all for folks taking a 16 hour course and test before being issued a CCpermit. He seems to think it's OK to have folks jump through Federal, State and local law enforcement hoops and fork over money in order to defend themselves. The second amendment be damned. I too lost all respect for Metcalf.

Haven't got that issue yet. Takes a while for snail mail to get out here in the ridges. I'll hold off judgement until I read what he wrote.

In general, though, if a writer steps on his junk, he will get hammered; same as he will get accolades for a well written piece.
    A lion does not concern himself with the opinions of sheep.

Before we jump to conclusions, let's read his article and get the context. A quote does not always deliver the writers intent. The overall point of the article is that there is not any civil right that allows the individual to exercise that right as he/she sees fit. The question is at what point does regulation become infringement?
    We do not view the world as it is, but as we perceive it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by gunwalker View Post
    The overall point of the article is that there is not any civil right that allows the individual to exercise that right as he/she sees fit.
    You're right, there is no "civil right" that allows the individual to excersise that right. It's a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT.
    "The reflection upon my situation and that of this army produces many an uneasy hour when all around me are wrapped in sleep. Few people know the predicament we are in" ~General George Washington, January 14, 1776

Actually it's an inalienable right endowed by our Creator.
    NRA Endowment Member

My, what tangled webs we weave. Never mind Metcalf, Zumbo, trolls, and so forth. You people would be a lot less stressed, and your lives would be simpler and happier if you just listened to me, and only me. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by horselips View Post
    You people would be a lot less stressed, and your lives would be simpler and happier if you just listened to me, and only me. Enjoy.
    I'd rather listen to Curious George, or maybe Nancy Pelosi!
    Jerry
    Caedit eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.
    Arnaud Amalric 1209 AD

Quote Originally Posted by horselips View Post
    My, what tangled webs we weave. Never mind Metcalf, Zumbo, trolls, and so forth. You people would be a lot less stressed, and your lives would be simpler and happier if you just listened to me, and only me. Enjoy.
    Why? What wisdom have missed by listening to Metcalf instead of you?

I swear you've posted here before under another name.