Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man kills 500 pound hog

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Re: Man kills 500 pound hog

That's freaking "Hog Wild!"

My grand son killed that 300 pounder around new years and I thought it was huge. This thing's nearly as big as his hog and that last one I shot, which was about 200 or so.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

I am skeptical.
    I'd like to have seen more pics. Nothing shown in the video really gives a size perspective. the one with the hog and shooter, there's no indication how far behind the hog he is.
    When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. It is only difficult for others.

It is the same when you are STUPID.

Looking at it further and taking a screen cap of the hog & hunter pic, I'm throwing the BS flag

Look at the size of the leaves under the hog's snout. They're FREAKIN' HUGE.

So I am thinking more and more that this is a "forced perspective" pic to make the hog look bigger.
    When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. It is only difficult for others.

Yes. It's a forced perspective; he's a good distance behind the hog. Why do I know that? Hog is in focus and he isn't in focus. I call shenanigans.

But it is a nice hog.
    Politics: Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, I realized that it already had.

As someone pointed out to me , maybe they are White Oak Leaves.

Doesn't really make any difference to me about his claim, I've no dog in the fight. thought it was an interesting news story.

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/white_oak.htm

White Oak is a large tree, growing up to 100 feet tall. Its trunk can get up to four feet across.

White Oaks usually grow in forests with other oaks, but can also be found on edges of lakes, ponds, and streams.

Leaves of White Oak are four to nine inches long, with between five and nine lobes (finger-like parts). They are bright green on top, and whitish underneath. White Oak leaves turn red or brown in the Fall, and will often stay on the branches of younger trees in the Winter.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions

If it were me, I'd called a game warden and got it officially verified and weighed in.
    Last edited by Big Chief; 03-13-2014 at 07:34 PM.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    "What could possibly be wrong with meat candy?" - Tennmike

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    Yes. It's a forced perspective; he's a good distance behind the hog. Why do I know that? Hog is in focus and he isn't in focus. I call shenanigans.

But it is a nice hog.
    That is what I thought when the local TV station ran that article.
    Division one critter rescue team leader.

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post
    That is what I thought when the local TV station ran that article.
    So it was near you someplce in NC. That's a lot of bacon even if it only weighed 300 lbs.

Take a .327 magnum like yours to put that Porky Pig down

Judging by the tusk size it's still a very big hog. And if that hog weighs even 300 pounds, he's probably 2 feet behind it. If the camera is set on a high F-Stop it could focus the hog sharp and the guy a bit blurred. Depends on the photographer. But regardless, it's one big porker and LOTS of bacon.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Somebody claimed one over 700 pounds in ALA, but again they cut it up before verification.

Fun pics here, real or fake....both I think.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bigg...iw=853&bih=322

Pffft.

Now THIS is a pig.

Even if that is a baby elephant it is still one BIG pig!

That's all I got.

Paul

Oh, and in the video the shooter "swears" the pic's not photoshopped. Guess what? Forced perspective photography is a LOT older than photoshop.

I remember my dad doing it with smallish fish when I was a kid. Back then he took the pics with a polaroid, then he'd have fun with his friends and co-workers about the "monster" bass/bream/crappie/catfish the pic showed he had caught

I don't care either way. All I care about is that some bubba hunter with an evil black rifle is getting national press. You know those things are only for shooting up schools and stuff... right?
    Quote Originally Posted by KENFU1911 View Post
    It's diameter is .277..........the number of the Beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermanator View Post
    I don't care either way. All I care about is that some bubba hunter with an evil black rifle is getting national press. You know those things are only for shooting up schools and stuff... right?
    You got it Bro! You're right on with that!

Quote Originally Posted by PFD View Post
    Pffft.

Now THIS is a pig.

I didn't know Baby Elephants have big tusks!

I am not questioning if the hog weighed 500lbs or not but I do think the guy in the pic is several feet behind.

I helped a buddy load up an 800+lb pig to take to the butcher and it didn't look half that big.
    USMC 80-84
    -91 lbs

If I had a dollar for every time someone shot a "500 lb hog"....

Saw this this morning. I thought the same thing. Fake.

But it is a nice hog.
    I dont see the hog being in focus at all. Something that is hairy and mostly of the same color is going to appear to be more in focus than something easily recognizable with contrasting angles.

I do believe that the picture is out of proportion.

If that pick was real, that hog would probably go 800+.
    Last edited by Michakav; 03-16-2014 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    So it was near you someplce in NC. That's a lot of bacon even if it only weighed 300 lbs.

Take a .327 magnum like yours to put that Porky Pig down
    84 miles north

130 gr hard cast you suppose
    Division one critter rescue team leader.

Quote Originally Posted by PFD View Post
    Pffft.

Now THIS is a pig.

Actually you can tell the size of that pig by the greenery and dandylions around it, ignore the full size and reduced elephant that is inserted by trickery of some sort.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you The Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

I call B.S. I want to say I've seen that picture before.
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.

If I ever kill a hog that I think weighs north of 400 pounds I'm going to beg, steal or borrow a scale big enough to get an accurate official weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Michakav View Post
    I dont see the hog being in focus at all. Something that is hairy and mostly of the same color is going to appear to be more in focus than something easily recognizable with contrasting angles.

I do believe that the picture is out of proportion, but I have no problem believing that it was a 500'ish# hog. Hogs are pretty heavy relative to their size.

If that pick was to real scale, that hog would probably go 800+.
    I'm guessing Knitepoet did a screen capture to post that picture. In the video the hog is in focus and the guy in back is clearly out of focus. I'm glad he killed it with an EBR (Essential Black Rifle). Just guessing I'd say he's about 8 feet behind the hog.
    Politics: Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, I realized that it already had.

I'm guessing Knitepoet did a screen capture to post that picture. In the video the hog is in focus and the guy in back is clearly out of focus. I'm glad he killed it with an EBR (Essential Black Rifle). Just guessing I'd say he's about 8 feet behind the hog.
    The guy could be five-ten feet behind the hog. But it doesn't really matter as far as the focus goes because if I have decent photo equipment (which I don't at this time) I could make both the hunter and hog be in focus if he was 10 feet behind. F-stop versus Shutter Speed can do this. A large aperture opening (F Stop) and afast shutter speed gives a single plane focus or rather shallow depth of focus with all the rest of the pic out of focus. A smaller aperture opening with a slower shutter speed will give a greater depth of focus and can focus the whole pic.
    Last edited by snake284; 03-14-2014 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justin10mm View Post
    If I ever kill a hog that I think weighs north of 400 pounds I'm going to beg, steal or borrow a scale big enough to get an accurate official weight.
    Yeah that and about two dozen credible witnesses to the weighing in.

That photo is doctored up to hell and back IMO. I see one Red Maple leaf and probably several Chestnut Oak leaves under the head, and given the size of these leaves and the size of the hog's head, in perspective, would probably make the hog come in at around 150lbs + -. But something is wrong all the way around with the photo.....the foreground/background just doesn't match up. The leaves look almost like being raked up under the head. It's doctored in my opinion, and if you have ever worked with ground photography like this you'll agree. I may be wrong, but I don't think so. Boar or Barr? I want to see a photo of the back-end and of both ears!

I'm wondering what is holding the head up?