Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NRA Gun Safety Rules

NRA Gun Safety Rules

I used to post these every few years before the last forum meltdown. I thought it was time for a refresher since we have a lot of new folks around.

NRA Gun Safety Rules

http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp
    The fundamental NRA rules for safe gun handling are:

1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

This is the primary rule of gun safety. A safe direction means that the gun is pointed so that even if it were to go off it would not cause injury or damage. The key to this rule is to control where the muzzle or front end of the barrel is pointed at all times. Common sense dictates the safest direction, depending on different circumstances.

2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready toshoot.

When holding a gun, rest your finger on the trigger guard or along the side of the gun. Until you are actually ready to fire, do not touch the trigger.

3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.

Whenever you pick up a gun, immediately engage the safety device if possible, and, if the gun has a magazine, remove it before opening the action and looking into thechamber(s) which should be clear of ammunition. If you do not know how to open the action or inspect the chamber(s), leave the gun alone and get help from someone who does.

When using or storing a gun, always follow these NRA rules:

• Know your target and what is beyond.
      Be absolutely sure you have identified your target beyond any doubt. Equally important, be aware of the area beyond your target. This means observing your prospective area of fire before you shoot. Never fire in a direction in which there are people or any other potential for mishap. Think first. Shoot second.
    • Know how to use the gun safely.
      Before handling a gun, learn how it operates. Know its basic parts, how to safely open and close the action and remove any ammunition from the gun ormagazine. Remember, a gun's mechanical safety device is never foolproof. Nothing can ever replace safe gun handling.
    • Be sure the gun is safe to operate.
      Just like other tools, guns need regular maintenance to remain operable. Regular cleaning and proper storage are a part of the gun's general upkeep. If there is any question concerning a gun's ability to function, a knowledgeable gunsmith should look at it.
    • Use only the correct ammunition for your gun.
      Only BBs, pellets, cartridges or shells designed for a particular gun can be fired safely in that gun. Most guns have the ammunition type stamped on the barrel. Ammunition can be identified by information printed on the box and some times stamped on the cartridge. Do not shoot the gun unless you know you have the proper ammunition.
    • Wear eye and ear protection as appropriate.
      Guns are loud and the noise can cause hearing damage. They can also emit debris and hot gas that could cause eye injury. For these reasons, shooting glasses and hearing protectors should be worn by shooters and spectators.
    • Never use alcohol or over-the-counter, prescription or other drugs before or while shooting. Alcohol, as well as any other substance likely to impair normal mental or physical bodily functions, must not be used before or while handling or shooting guns.

• Store guns so they are not accessible to unauthorized persons. Many factors must be considered when deciding where and how to store guns. A person's particular situation will be a major part of the consideration. Dozens of gun storage devices, as well as locking devices that attach directly to the gun, are available. However, mechanical locking devices, like the mechanical safeties built into guns, can fail and should not be used as a substitute for safe gunhandling and the observance of all gun safety rules.

Be aware that certain types of guns and many shooting activities require additional safety precautions.

Cleaning

Regular cleaning is important in order for your gun to operate correctly andsafely. Taking proper care of it will also maintain its value and extend its life. Yourgun should be cleaned every time that it is used.

A gun brought out of prolonged storage should also be cleaned before shooting. Accumulated moisture and dirt, or solidified grease and oil, can prevent the gunfrom operating properly.

Before cleaning your gun, make absolutely sure that it is unloaded. The gun's action should be open during the cleaning process. Also, be sure that no ammunition is present in the cleaning area.
    Last edited by Wambli Ska; 08-13-2014 at 11:09 PM.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Re: NRA Gun Safety Rules

Parents play a key role in developing safe practices and are ultimately responsible for the behavior and safety of their children. Because isolated lessons and concepts can be quickly forgotten, repetition will help children remember standard safety procedures.

Parents can teach their children the Eddie Eagle program at home. Simply call the Eddie Eagle Program at 800-231-0752 and request a sample kit. Each kit includes a copy of the student workbook, instructor's guide, program statistics, a description of materials, an order form, and the Parents' Guideto Gun Safety brochure.

PARENTS' GUIDE TO GUN SAFETY
    This text is also available as a brochure. To receive a copy of the "Parents' Guide to Gun Safety" brochure, email eddie@nrahq.orgor call (800) 231-0752.

The Parents' Responsibility

In a home where guns are kept, the degree of safety a child has rests squarely on the child's parents.

Parents who accept the responsibility to learn, practice and teach gun safety rules will ensure their child's safety to a much greater extent than those who do not. Parental responsibility does not end, however, when the child leaves the home. According to federal statistics, there are guns in approximately half of all U.S.households. Even if no one in your family owns a gun, chances are that someone you know does. Your child could come in contact with a gun at a neighbor's house, when playing with friends, or under other circumstances outside your home. It is critical for your child to know what to do if he or she encounters a firearm anywhere,and it is the parents' responsibility to provide that training.

Talking With Your Child About Gun Safety

There is no particular age to talk with your child about gun safety. A good time to introduce the subject is the first time he or she shows an interest in firearms, even toy pistols or rifles. Talking openly and honestly about gun safety with your child is usually more effective than just ordering him or her to "Stay out of the gun closet," and leaving it at that. Such statements may just stimulate a child's natural curiosity to investigate further.

As with any safety lesson, explaining the rules and answering a child's questions help remove the mystery surrounding guns. Any rules set for your own child should also apply to friends who visit the home. This will help keep your child from being pressured into showing a gun to a friend.

Toy Guns vs. Real Guns

It is also advisable, particularly with very young children, to discuss gun use on television as opposed to gun use in real life. Firearms are often handled carelessly in movies and on TV. Additionally, children see TV and movie characters shot and "killed" with well-documented frequency. When a young child sees that same actor appear in another movie or TV show, confusion between entertainment and real life may result. It may be a mistake to assume that your child knows the difference between being "killed"on TV and in reality.

If your child has toy guns, you may want to use them to demonstrate safe gun handlingand to explain how they differ from genuine firearms. Even though an unsupervised child should not have access to a gun, there should be no chance that he or she could mistake a real gun for a toy.

What Should You Teach Your Child About Gun Safety?

If you have decided that your child is not ready to be trained in a gun's handling and use, teach him or her to follow the instructions of NRA's Eddie Eagle GunSafe®Program. If you find a gun:

STOP!
    Don't Touch.
    Leave the Area.
    Tell an Adult.

The initial steps of "Stop" and "Don't Touch" are the most important. To counter the natural impulse to touch a gun, it is imperative that you impress these steps of the safety message upon your child. In today's society, where adult supervision is not always possible, the direction to "Leave the Area" is also essential. Under some circumstances, area may be understood to be a room if your child cannot physically leave the apartment or house. "Tell an Adult" emphasizes that children should seek a trustworthy adult, neighbor, relative or teacher -- if a parent or guardian is not available.

The NRA's Eddie Eagle GunSafe Program includes an instructor guide, activity books, poster, and an animated video to explain its four-step safety message. For more information about the program, visit www.nrahq.org/safety/eddie or call (800) 231-0752.

Gun Owners' Responsibilities

Most states impose some form of legal duty on adults to take reasonable steps to deny access by children to dangerous substances or instruments. It is the individual gunowner's responsibility to understand and follow all laws regarding gun purchase, ownership, storage, transport, etc. Contact your state police and/or local police for information regarding such laws. If you own a gun and do not know how to operate it, do not experiment with it. Point it in a safe direction, keep your finger off the trigger, and store it securely. Seek competent assistance and instruction at once. An untrained adult can be as dangerous as a curious child.

Store guns so that they are inaccessible to children and other unauthorized users. Gunshops sell a wide variety of safes, cases, and other security devices. While specific security measures may vary, a parent must, in every case, assess the exposure of the firearm and absolutely ensure that it is inaccessible to a child.
    Last edited by Wambli Ska; 08-13-2014 at 11:07 PM.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Good reminder and advice. You can't call back a bullet!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    Good reminder and advice. You can't call back a bullet!
    Yep, another piece of advice I always give folks is to book an hour with an lawyer and just talk about your state's gun laws, use of deadly force and requirements for safe storage etc. Worth it's weight in GOLD!!!

I keep them posted several places in my house and on the upper and lower ranges. My kids occasionally bust me for not presenting empty chambers to anyone entering an area. Their friends are getting to be the same. I keep posters from the basic rifle, pistol and shotgun courses up in my library so whenever a noob shows up I can get them familiarized in a few minutes.
    Last edited by HvyMax; 08-12-2014 at 07:58 PM.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct

Wambli, I also employ something I read that you posted years ago: I told my children that they could see and handle my guns whenever they want when I'm home; all they have to do is ask, and I'll sit with them and answer their questions. But before they get to handle them, they have to give me the first three safety rules. They're off limits when I'm not home. If they go with me to shoot them, they also have to help clean them. It has worked flawlessly, and my daughter, who now lives on her own, is a responsible gun owner as well.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.

Someone needs to teach the NRA Certified Instructors a little safety. The ones I've encountered the last couple weeks while doing Rangemaster Duty at our local range thought they were above the range rules. Last weekend, I'm watching the pistol range on the monitor in the office and the range is clearly cold. Folks were down range checking targets and I see this instructer waving his gun around in front of his students. Range rule - guns unloaded and untouched when range is cold. I went out to tell him and he just looked at me like I was crazy, gun still in his hand.

A couple weeks ago this other guy was teaching a defensive class and he has his students drawing and firing. Not allowed at this range and he knew it. When confronted he said well we are going to break the rules since no one else is here. Ummm, no you aren't. The guy working with me, more experienced club member by far told him they could draw and dry fire until someone else come to the range which wasn't long.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

This should be a Sticky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by BAMAAK View Post
    Someone needs to teach the NRA Certified Instructors a little safety.
    Yea - the guy that taught the "Introduction to Firearms" class my wife and I attended muzzle swept the class at least twice. Now granted, these were show-and-tell guns that for various reasons (including KABOOM!) weren't in firing order, but still...

It otherwise was a great class!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyrlf3 View Post
    Wambli, I also employ something I read that you posted years ago: I told my children that they could see and handle my guns whenever they want when I'm home; all they have to do is ask, and I'll sit with them and answer their questions. But before they get to handle them, they have to give me the first three safety rules. They're off limits when I'm not home. If they go with me to shoot them, they also have to help clean them. It has worked flawlessly, and my daughter, who now lives on her own, is a responsible gun owner as well.
    Excellent! I'm so glad that worked out for you. My theory was to make my kids SICK of handling guns and take all the mystery out of them so they would never be tempted to cheat the system. By the time they were 8 they would run from me when they saw daddy open the gun safe

Both of them are now enthusiastic adult gun owners and they both tell me they never had ANY desire to go fumbling around for guns while I was not around. I also used to test them on the Eddie Eagle stuff by leaving an unattended gun somewhere in the house (checked 10 times to make sure it was unloaded). They never failed to come running to me and tell me about the gun and I praised and rewarded this behavior. To this day, my grown up son when he is visiting will tell me when he spots an unattended gun around the house and ask permission to handle it even though he doesn't need to. Good habits well ingrained...

Stress safety. Repeat. Always.

The NRA safety rules, are made for the typical person using and storing guns in a home, and while they can be adapted to carry, both open and concealed, carry is not the focus of these safety rules.

To go into the land of carry, in grocery stores, picnics, boardrooms, loading docks, etc., those safety rules will protect you, and the public, but much more is needed, as a guide for rules of carry.
    Last edited by NRA; 08-12-2014 at 08:05 PM.
    NRA Golden Eagles Benefactor Life CRSO Pistol Instructor RSO CP PPITH CPPOTH RTBAV
    Glocks 19cutaway 20 20SF 21cutaway 21C 22C 23C 27 32 34 22LR 460 Glock Certified Armorer
    Nebraska Concealed Carry Instructor, 32 years CC Experience, Retired FFL Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by BAMAAK View Post
    Someone needs to teach the NRA Certified Instructors a little safety. The ones I've encountered the last couple weeks while doing Rangemaster Duty at our local range thought they were above the range rules. Last weekend, I'm watching the pistol range on the monitor in the office and the range is clearly cold. Folks were down range checking targets and I see this instructer waving his gun around in front of his students. Range rule - guns unloaded and untouched when range is cold. I went out to tell him and he just looked at me like I was crazy, gun still in his hand.

A couple weeks ago this other guy was teaching a defensive class and he has his students drawing and firing. Not allowed at this range and he knew it. When confronted he said well we are going to break the rules since no one else is here. Ummm, no you aren't. The guy working with me, more experienced club member by far told him they could draw and dry fire until someone else come to the range which wasn't long.

I agree. My son, just got certified and he said they are grinding "instructors" out as fast as they can. When I got my certification 25+ years ago it meant something and it was tough to come by. Now there are a bunch of "instructors" out there that started shooting 3 weeks ago but they are "certified" to instruct. Low barrier to entry into the system has cheapened it and very few sports breed instant self-appointed experts as ours does.

Also these "instructors" do not stick to the program, which is NOT the NRA's fault. The NRA course is a SAFETY course, more class than hands on, with a set curriculum designed to impart basic knowledge of safety, function and nomenclature as it pertains to handguns so by the end you understand the difference between a 1911 and a S&W Revolver and know how to load and operate one safely AND not look like an idiot when you get to the gun store counter. It was never meant to be a marksmanship or shooting course and CERTAINLY not a self defense course. Drawing from a holster is WAY past what they are supposed to teach. These guys are WAY off the reservation teaching stuff they know nothing about and like you pointed out, swabbing their rectums with the rulebook and curriculum. I just spent some time listening to one guy at a local gun store and he was dishing out legal advice like he was a Yale law school graduate. Saw another at a range that was teaching just short of shooting rolls a la Lethal Weapon...

Like anything else on earth, its buyer beware...

Not to cause further thread drift, but that's good to know about Instructor certifications. I've long thought about getting certified myself, and may go ahead and start on it.
    A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.
    NRA Endowment Member

NRA Golden Eagles Benefactor Life CRSO Pistol Instructor RSO CP PPITH CPPOTH RTBAV
    Glocks 19cutaway 20 20SF 21cutaway 21C 22C 23C 27 32 34 22LR 460 Glock Certified Armorer

Thanks for putting it all in one spot. Just copied/pasted it all.

Bagger

Quote Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
    Thanks for putting it all in one spot. Just copied/pasted it all.
    You are most welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by LMLarsen View Post
    Not to cause further thread drift, but that's good to know about Instructor certifications. I've long thought about getting certified myself, and may go ahead and start on it.
    By all means do it. It is a great time with great people. Learning how to teach makes you far more valuable for introducing new shooters. That and quality materials makes you a resource to the entire community.

Good hearing the Big 4 from Clint. Of course now it is the 3 always keeps for the NRA programs.

This should be a Sticky.
    Agreed!
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    I'm in love with a Glock

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    My theory was to make my kids SICK of handling guns and take all the mystery out of them so they would never be tempted to cheat the system.
    My children never got sick of handling firearms they loved it. The more they handled them the more I had to take them shooting. The key is to remove the mystic of the forbidden fruit. You do this and you have it whipped the safe handling of them is not a problem. The problem is the arguing of who gets what of my guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Buford View Post
    My children never got sick of handling firearms they loved it. The more they handled them the more I had to take them shooting. The key is to remove the mystic of the forbidden fruit. You do this and you have it whipped the safe handling of them is not a problem. The problem is the arguing of who gets what of my guns.
    The trick is to make them detail strip and clean them every time. Not to mention make them find any small parts that shoot across the room.

As requested and because it keeps bumping up I'm sticking it for a little bit. If anyone has any other safety tips they want to share please contribute. I'll give you one, never try to load a pistol you just cleaned if your hands are still a little oily.... :bump:

One that's been among my General Orders since I was a teenager: never mix guns with beer or booze. When the safe is open, the bar is closed.
    NRA Endowment Member

One that's been among my General Orders since I was a teenager: never mix guns with beer or booze. When the safe is open, the bar is closed.
    I know. When I host open carry,blastfest BBQ's I make sure the guns are away before the drinking starts. It helps to know your crowd as well.

I do wish the NRA would simply adopt some version of the Gunsite 4 - perhaps worded for easier assimilation by newbies, but it's four really basic, in your face concepts that are pretty easily remembered:

1. ALL guns are ALWAYS loaded! (Even when you know they're not) The NRA's third rule has two problems: 1. It give the operator an "out" in that a gun can constantly be ready for use; 2. It can plant the seed that grows into the assumption that guns not on a range are empty.

2. NEVER allow the muzzle to cover anything you are not willing to destroy. (The safest direction you can point a gun can be variable, based on current surroundings. Constantly operate so that an N.D. won't hurt anybody and would only cause minor property damage)

3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.

4. Always be aware of your target, its surroundings and what lies beyond - It has always bugged me that the NRA chooses to leave this one off their list of primaries and put it down in the body at the point where the eyes of the class have glazed over and they quit remembering stuff. It always seemed to me that where the bullet end up COULD BE PRETTY DAMNED IMPORTANT!!!

Like Clint Smith says, properly assimilating these rules means a lifestyle change: they should be a programmed part of your constant behavior that doesn't require conscious thought. As I like to say when I'm teaching these, when the archaeologists dig up your bones in 10,000 years, they should find these four rules coded into your DNA.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    I do wish the NRA would simply adopt some version of the Gunsite 4 - perhaps worded for easier assimilation by newbies, but it's four really basic, in your face concepts that are pretty easily remembered:

1. ALL guns are ALWAYS loaded! (Even when you know they're not) The NRA's third rule has two problems: 1. It give the operator an "out" in that a gun can constantly be ready for use; 2. It can plant the seed that grows into the assumption that guns not on a range are empty.

2. NEVER allow the muzzle to cover anything you are not willing to destroy. (The safest direction you can point a gun can be variable, based on current surroundings. Constantly operate so that an N.D. won't hurt anybody and would only cause minor property damage)

3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.

4. Always be aware of your target, its surroundings and what lies beyond - It has always bugged me that the NRA chooses to leave this one off their list of primaries and put it down in the body at the point where the eyes of the class have glazed over and they quit remembering stuff. It always seemed to me that where the bullet end up COULD BE PRETTY DAMNED IMPORTANT!!!

Like Clint Smith says, properly assimilating these rules means a lifestyle change: they should be a programmed part of your constant behavior that doesn't require conscious thought. As I like to say when I'm teaching these, when the archaeologists dig up your bones in 10,000 years, they should find these four rules coded into your DNA.
    Mostly because a lot of folks, specially new people, do not know how to handle a loaded gun. If you remember only one rule the first NRA rule will save your bacon even if you screw up the rest of the program. I've always failed to see how that would not be the FIRST rule of gun handling.

All points are covered in the NRA rules but they chose to further explain in 10 sections instead of 4, it is up to the instructor to assure they are all learned (that would be formal instructor, or mom, dad or uncle joe). Neither is a bad system as long as they push the basics on people.

The "always keeps" have that Mantra quality that has the entire class reciting them after 2-3 repititions so after 10-15 min you are ready to move on to the other aspects of the class. I do find myself reverting to the 4 on occasion. The NRA basic programs are designed to get people from zero to first base and has to work with people from 5-100+yrs old. The NRA rules are more beginner easily remembered range supervised rules. I grew up on the 4 which are far better IMO for actual gunhandling which is why Hunter Safety classes focus on the classic 4. I agree with all of Bigslug's points and generally work them in. I cover the always loaded while explaining that "safeties" are a mechanical device that can fail. I cover muzzle awareness when showing the parts of the gun. The booger hook off of the bang switch is already well covered. I cover the surroundings and beyond while going over the various hunting/shooting scenarios for the different types of ammo. There is no program that will be perfect for everyone especially on a large scale. We find ourselves trying to convert/educate non gunners so making things as simple and non threatening as possible helps. Weapon is a dirty word in the NRA program because we are pushing the shooting sports as a safe recreational activity along the lines of bowling or softball. Firearms like bats and bowling balls can be harmful but as long as used and stored safely are harmless. If you had a room full of Soccer Moms and men that may as well be and you HIT them with the 4 they would probably be terrified of guns for the rest of their lives. The NRA program is a more Soccer Mom friendly non threatening version of the 4.

i taught this stuff for 15 years and held NRA Instructor rating for three disciplines Rifle, Pistol, and Shotgun for 20 and what Bigslug said is very true. If you ingrain those first few rules in your mind where they are automatic, you automatically make yourself about 100% safer.

Some of this sounds repetitious and over done, but the whole thing about it is to make it part of your daily agenda that you have it so ingrained that you just do it without thinking. If everyone was on that level, accidental gunshot wounds and deaths would become almost nil.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Welcome aboard
    Someone please play Jingle Bells