Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NRA Gun Safety Rules

Re: NRA Gun Safety Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    Good reminder and advice. You can't call back a bullet!
    never hurts notin to git reminded evry now and then.
    "It is what it is"

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    i taught this stuff for 15 years and held NRA Instructor rating for three disciplines Rifle, Pistol, and Shotgun for 20 and what Bigslug said is very true. If you ingrain those first few rules in your mind where they are automatic, you automatically make yourself about 100% safer.

Some of this sounds repetitious and over done, but the whole thing about it is to make it part of your daily agenda that you have it so ingrained that you just do it without thinking. If everyone was on that level, accidental gunshot wounds and deaths would become almost nil.

"It is what it is"

My children insist me on giving them my Glock gun which I'm very afraid to give them. I don't think they have proper education about firearms safety and so they may accidentally hurt themselves. They are under 10 right now.
    Get firearms safety training only from NRA certified schools

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerJacky View Post
    My children insist me on giving them my Glock gun which I'm very afraid to give them. I don't think they have proper education about firearms safety and so they may accidentally hurt themselves. They are under 10 right now.
    Welcome, my kids started with .22 single action revolvers and were proficient with them with regards to safe handling and shooting before we moved on to .22 pistols, Glock seems like a big first step for a 10 y/o, YMMV.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by CHIRO1989 View Post
    Welcome, my kids started with .22 single action revolvers and were proficient with them with regards to safe handling and shooting before we moved on to .22 pistols, Glock seems like a big first step for a 10 y/o, YMMV.
    I agree. Start them slow or they will sour on the experience. Nothing like the smile on a kids face when they hit a reactive target with a .22 handgun.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerJacky View Post
    Get them an airsoft pistol and make them practice safety with it for a while. If they can't be safe with it then they have no business handling a Glock. A .22 is a good next step. My 8 yr old grandaughter started with an airsoft at 6. She now shoots .22 competitions and still must recite me the safety rules before shooting as well as listen to the safety briefing each match.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

I suggest people who never had a gun before. They should get a airsoft first and practice target shooting for at least 6 months to get comfortable. Then they should get firearms safety training lessons from NRA certified school to become eligible for buying and carrying concealed carry weapons.
    Get firearms safety training only from NRA certified schools