Thread: Auto censor update

Administrator

Auto censor update

The Mods and many forum members have noted that there has been a steady increase in auto censor by-passes and we are kindly asking that you please refrain from these efforts. There are plenty of words and phrases in our great English language that you can use to get your point across.
    This is a reminder that we will edit out every censor bypass we come across and if it is of a sexual nature, a true curse word or references to female hygiene products, your post will be deleted. Continued multiple offenses could result in banning, mostly because the volunteers that have to clean up after you kids just don't have the time for this and are kind of tired of it.
    In the meantime we have made a few changes to the auto censor bad-word list, adding a couple that relate to feminine hygiene. And because "ass" and "bitch" have become acceptable in most circles—including prime time, over-the-air TV—we have removed them from the list.
    Again, we ask for your help to self-police and to avoid wasting your time and ours by trying to go around the auto censor.

Thanks,
    Admin and the Mods

Re: Auto censor update

Thanks for the update. Vulgarity, even if it's intentionally misspelled, isn't appropriate, and it usually indicates the poster is severely lacking in vocabulary. I assume that saying someone is an unwashed fellator with Oedipal tendencies and canine ancestry is still OK?

Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    "When a man's down, KICK HIM! If he survives it he can rise above it!"

Sorry.. I'll do better
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

Vulgarity and swearing are not a sign of lacking vocabulary or articulated speech. That's just something people lacking vocabulary and disliking vulgarity say.

But I agree that in legitimate conversation it has limited use and often detracts from the points being versed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Thank you
    Go Cowboys go

Banned

In a common forum, obscene phrases are just wrong and need to be left out. Anyone who keeps trying to use euphemisms to avoid the autocensor is also pushing his luck.

My books have plenty of rancid adult language but hey, they're modern adult-audience mystery novels. But here? No way.

Good reminder and policy. We all need a refresher every now and again on what the rules are, which have evolved/changed with the times since many of us first came aboard.

Human nature being what it is, it's easy to color outside the lines, go out of set boundaries unless standards are defined and enforced.
    Last edited by Big Chief; 09-21-2014 at 05:02 AM.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    Thanks for the update. Vulgarity, even if it's intentionally misspelled, isn't appropriate, and it usually indicates the poster is severely lacking in vocabulary. I assume that saying someone is an unwashed fellator with Oedipal tendencies and canine ancestry is still OK?

Jerry
    I don't understand why a scientific or non-slang description is OK, while the use of slang is not. It's still the same meaning, just more trouble to describe. So now my favorite word has to be called a female hygiene wash receptacle.
    I DISLIKED COMMUNISTS BEFORE THEY CHANGED THEIR NAMES TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES

Banned

I had to laugh about a recent over-strike by the supernanny autocensor.

The thread dealt with science fiction and I was listing fave authors, and this included the late, famous writer Philip K. "Richard" (long version of his real last name, ha ha) because nannygal wouldn't let me use the 4-letter actual last name of the guy, creator of Blade Runner and many other classics.

Made me laugh.

What next? Will the autocensor ban mention of J.D. Salinger's "Catcher in the Rye"? (one of the most "banned" books ever). ha ha

Richard Skinner is not well liked by a lot of folks for some reason
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!