Thread: Touchy subject. Any accidental/ negligent discharge stories??? (personal)

Banned

Touchy subject. Any accidental/ negligent discharge stories??? (personal)

Just curious. Subject says it all. After I hear a few that make me feel less douchie...... I will share mine.

Re: Touchy subject. Any accidental/ negligent discharge stories??? (personal)

Luckily, I've personally never done it.

At 15, I loaded a 20 ga at 5 AM in my grandmother's "sewing room" and handed it to my 16 year old cousin. For reasons beyond my comprehension, he pushed the safety and pulled the trigger.

This was a family gathering, so our dads were sleeping in other rooms. That is until BOOM.

Ever been whooped with a butt stock?
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand

Once. I'm not sure how it happened, but this is what I THINK happened:

I was shooting my stainless steel bolt gun (.223) at prairie dogs, using nickle plated cartridges. I glanced in the open bolt, thought I saw nothing, and closed the bolt. THEN for some reason I thought I needed to drop the hammer on the gun, so I nonchalantly tapped the trigger.

BOOM!

Dad, naturally, reacted... By chewing my butt seven ways to Sunday (no beatings, I was about 15, spankings stopped when I was about 12). Talking it out a few hours later we figured that the bullet probably landed out in the field, but the point stood to make double sure to check your chamber.

I've always been a little leery of nickle plated cases sense then.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

I've heard stories here and there being in the Army.
    I remember in Mosul 2003 two scouts in the back of LMTV were playing quick draw on the way to the field kitchen and one shot the other by accident. My team was piggy backing onto a crew serve range and the range was not swapping barrels like they should have and there was a run away M249.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

Here's mine.

I was house sitting my brother's townhouse. Water plants and such. I took a friend and my brother in law. Now, my BIL had spent 8 years active duty as a Marine, in a few hairy settings no less ( like Lebanon). I set my pistol on the kitchen counter, in it's zippered case. He asked, "Is it loaded." I replied "Yes, full magazine." Then I walk to the bedroom to get something. He proceeds to unzipper the case, pull the slid back and pull the trigger!

This 115 grain 9mm Winchester Silvertip went through 7 sheets of drywall, the frame of an oak bunk bed, and a 3/8 inch vanity mirror and came to rest slightly denting the cinder-block wall of the outside. Meanwhile within a foot of my head in the other room.

My fault for not unloading and handing him the pistol. I expected more of military training. I know better now.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostsniper1 View Post
    Just curious. Subject says it all. After I hear a few that make me feel less douchie...... I will share mine.
    None here since the last kid was conceived

Why you would think this is a touchy subject?

One time while firing my Ruger 44 SBH I had a minor mishap. I like to think I always know how many times I fired my revolver. One time I cocked the 44 and thought to myself you fired all 6 so with a loose grip and the gun pointing down range I squeezed the trigger and to my surprise it fired. It was a good wake up call to complacency. The key was, always keep the barrel down range.

Pretty much what I posted before, while trying to shoulder my shotgun in the brush and briers on a rabbit hunt. My right arm was short stoped by some green brier and the left carried the gun up and forward causing the trigger to get pulled.
    Only answer is my finger was in the wrong place.
    This message has been deleted

The only ND I had was while shooting a .500 S&W. I was shooting some damn powerful (I think max) loads once. I'd fired a cylinder or two of them after shooting ALL KINDS of hand cannons. I fired the first round and I guess I felt the gun slip in my hands during recoil. My hand reflexively squeezed and the trigger went off again at about a 45 degree angle. Scared the poop out of me, and I think everyone near me.
    In space no one can hear you scream... but if you put a helicopter up there, some jerk would complain about the noise!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    None here since the last kid was conceived
    Now that right there is funny. lmao

Never have, thank goodness. Try to stay diligent to keep it from happening.

With revolvers, I always fire it a couple extra times after I hear that first click. Reason I do that is because I ALWAYS forget to count my fired shots. "Did I fire five rounds or six? Tell you the truth, I've forgotten myself in all the excitement."

Only once did I have a surprise when I squeezed the trigger that 8th or 9th time. It was a .22 LR revolver. I have no idea how or when I skipped the shot, but I was pointing it at the target and hadn't lowered it at all. I've always gave a couple extra trigger pulls ever since.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Buford View Post
    Why you would think this is a touchy subject?

One time while firing my Ruger 44 SBH I had a minor mishap. I like to think I always know how many times I fired my revolver. One time I cocked the 44 and thought to myself you fired all 6 so with a loose grip and the gun pointing down range I squeezed the trigger and to my surprise it fired. It was a good wake up call to complacency. The key was, always keep the barrel down range.
    Well I figure it is touchy because most people dont like to admit when they screw up, and especially with their own firearm which can kill. Okay now for my negligent discharge....... At the house I lived at before moving to where we are now, a neighbor kid (18ish,) stopped by because he was an okay dude and would cut our grass for fairly cheap. I was showing him my small .380 Cobra (yeah insert laugh here.) It had a fully loaded magazine and one in the chamber so I dropped the mag and racked the slide about 5 times. The thing I didnt know was that the extractor had a really super strong spring that kept the slide from returning fully to battery and grabbing the chambered bullet. Why I didnt physically look and see the thing was empty is beyond me. I proceeded to casually point the pistol at the floor and pull the trigger. BANG.... right through the floor into the crawlspace. A .380 in you bedroom is rediculously loud btw. Felt like a real richard in front of that kid.

I've had two actual AD's (finger NOWHERE near the trigger either time)
    One was with a Franchi 12 ga, learned NOT to put the safety on with it in the fired position and then load it.... killed a piano learning that lesson when I was a teen.

Other was with a Mossberg 151M(b) 22 rifle. I was at the range, had loaded the tube, decided to chamber a round and then top it off, had the muzzle sitting on the end of my shoe (butt tube fed) worked the bolt and it slam fired. I even posted pictures of my shoe on the forum (That was 2-3 forums ago)
    Ya do STUPID stuff, ya win STUPID prizes

Firing my 6.5x55 swede mauser, I'm left handed and was holding it with my left and working the bolt with my right
    off the shoulder, my pinky finger on the right catches on the trigger as I bring the bolt into battery and move toward putting the my right on the forearm, and bang, big spurt of dirt 10 metres in front of me.
    Even though I know what I did wrong and nobody was hurt, (I was safe to shoot at where it was pointing) I still can't bring myself to enjoy shooting it, once bitten, twice shy I guess.

I think there is something to be stressed here...

Accidental Discharge = Mechanical safety fails and the weapon goes off when it should not...i.e. You are going down the road with your M240 in red status, the truck hits a bump and hte bolt slams foward setting of the weapon. (M240 fires from open bolt). Or, you sit down and your M9 slips out of your holster and fires when it hits the floor

Negligent Discharge = You or Someone puts their finger on the trigger and the weapon goes off when you or they did not intend for it to go off....
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

Quote Originally Posted by centermass556 View Post
    I think there is something to be stressed here...

Accidental Discharge = Mechanical safety fails and the weapon goes off when it should not...i.e. You are going down the road with your M240 in red status, the truck hits a bump and hte bolt slams foward setting of the weapon. (M240 fires from open bolt). Or, you sit down and your M9 slips out of your holster and fires when it hits the floor

Negligent Discharge = You or Someone puts their finger on the trigger and the weapon goes off when you or they did not intend for it to go off....
    I never liked having to stare down the barrels of M-9s when they would use them shoulder rigs which made the M-9 horizontal when walking behind soldiers or standing in a mess hall chow line, made me uneasy.

Wonder there weren't/aren't more ND/ADs with so many weapons being toted about over there. At least, we don't hear about them all.

Once upon a time in Iraq, a Marine Gunny provided me with a Sig .45 that I would carry when going outside the wire on the Baghdad Airport Highway. So one day this contractor who worked with us says he has to go the the Airport or DHL for something and ask if I would loan him my .45. I asked if he knew how to use it and he said yes, he was trained and certified LEO and was a jailer in Atlanta before.

For-whatever reason they came back early because the gates/checkpoints were closed and no vehicles were allowed out. I hear this loud bang and go to investigate. Seems El Genius was trying to clear the pistol and blew a good .45 caliber hole in the asphalt of the road by our work place. He apparently racked the slide with the loaded magazine inserted , dropped the magazine and pulled the trigger to clear it

The best story I heard was soldiers who had guard duty and said a female Lt was told to clear her weapon (M-9) at a checkpoint and promptly walked over to the clearing barrel as she should have, stuck the muzzle in the hole and proceeded to pull the trigger until it was empty and the slide locked to the rear. I reckon it was cleared alright..............
    Last edited by Big Chief; 10-16-2011 at 12:28 PM.

Was carrying a marlin 30-30 , at the end of the hunt levered all the rounds out (so I thought) after the last one with muzzle pointed straight skyward dropped the hammer. Only I had short shucked a round- she went BOOM instead of click, now visually verify chambers before I lower hammer. Very loud with muzzle @ eye level will not forget eargeshplitten ringing after.

Banned

So I have to admit, after the incident I had, even after visually verifying that a firearm is empty and unchambered..... I still cringe when pulling the trigger to "uncock it." Anybody else???

Why pull the trigger to "un-cock" or de-cock it ?

So I have to admit, after the incident I had, even after visually verifying that a firearm is empty and unchambered..... I still cringe when pulling the trigger to "uncock it." Anybody else???
    Nope. I'm curious. When you had yours, didn't you notice that the round in the pipe didn't come out? That's how I'm sure it's unloaded, I've got all X number of rounds in my hand.
    I make it a point to rack all my autos while they're on their side, throwing the chambered round up in the air, so I can catch it. Put it in my pocket.

I was there first hand when an AD happened. The guy brought a .380 in and said it wasn't feeding. The guy had it loaded with .32Audo rounds. The chamber was checked and a red snap cap was chambered. The nose of the snap cap found the primer of a .32 round that was in past the chamber area. The pistol was pointed in a safe direction and the round went through the drop celling bounced off the tin roof and came back through the false celling again landing on the floor. Close call, and the lessons I learned was to 1 always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction even with snap caps, and 2, check the chamber good, as in run a dowel through it.

Sent from my Motorola ATRIX 4G via Tapatalk!
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post

There no mangos like Dans mangos.

Back when I was in college, a local fellow student invited me to go rabbit hunting at his family's farm. He loaned me a nearly-new Browning Sweet 16 and we took off with his pack of beagles on an early morning hunt. We had taken several rabbits ahead of the dogs, and I was moving from one open field to another through a small strip of bushes. I had ducked under a low overhanging limb with the gun held at high port when a rabbit jumped up right underfoot. The gun had a BIG red safety button at the back of the trigger guard, and as I started to swing on the rabbit, I tapped the safety off. My fingertip caught the trigger, and I fired a round with the gun at about a 45 degree angle. The spent shell flew past my ear close enough to feel the breeze as it passed. I got the rabbit with the next round!

The first round I cycled through my 7MM Weatherby MK V to check the COAL on my reloads fired as I started to lift the bolt and unchamber the round. I was nowhere near the trigger at the time. The bullet took out a flourescent light fixture in my gun room, and perforated the metal roof with a big peeled-back hole. It turns out the die-cast trigger housing was warped and would release the sear unexpectedly. The failure was pretty common on German-made Mark V's.
    Jerry
    IF THE LOCAL 7-11 IS OWNED BY MOHAMED THE MUSLIM, WHY CAN I BUY PORK RINDS, SLIM JIMS AND BEER THERE?

Finished cleaning my old Colt 1911 carry pistol and for whatever reason I decided I should load it and put it back in my holster before washing my hands. Pointed it at the floor at the corner of the living room, let the slide fly forward and as far as I can tell my oily finger slipped off the frame and on to the rather touchy trigger. Put a .45 cal hole into the carpet and it deflected down into the basement where it killed my wife's vacuum cleaner. I then had to shell out $900 for a new vac...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

The only one I've had, I was at the range, shooting some guy's tricked out 1911, and it was pointed down range. I aimed, fired, aimed, fired, aimed, fired fired. Super light trigger on it and I just wasn't used to it. That third shot, I sent two down range quickly and I wasn't trying for a double tap.

But I'll tell one on my aunt. She told me this herself a few years ago. My uncle had to go out of town for a few days, and I guess she either asked him, or he wanted to tell her, how to use the shotgun, just in case. He had it in his hand, told her you do this, then this, then this. I'm assuming it was pump, safety off, trigger. Well, she took it, did that, then that, then that. The last one was definitely pull the trigger. Blew a hole right through the wall.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jbohio View Post
    Nope. I'm curious. When you had yours, didn't you notice that the round in the pipe didn't come out? That's how I'm sure it's unloaded, I've got all X number of rounds in my hand.
    I make it a point to rack all my autos while they're on their side, throwing the chambered round up in the air, so I can catch it. Put it in my pocket.
    I can honestly and willfully say, I have no idea of what the hell I was thinking. I guess the only thing to say is that I was stupid and negligent. I visually look now. And Doc, on my cheap .380, there is no hammer to lower or such and I didnt want it loaded or chambered and cocked when I was showing it to the young guy.

I can honestly and willfully say, I have no idea of what the hell I was thinking. I guess the only thing to say is that I was stupid and negligent. I visually look now. And Doc, on my cheap .380, there is no hammer to lower or such and I didnt want it loaded or chambered and cocked when I was showing it to the young guy.
    That's how it happens, I suppose. It only takes a second. These threads are a great reminder to us all. Thanks for sharing.

I watched my roommate in college, post college actually, put one through the floor in our house. He was and is an LEO. I'm not sure exactly what he did, I think he may have unchambered the chambered round while the magazine was still in the gun. Whatever it was, he was getting ready to clean it, and drinking beer, not paying attention. He dropped the mag, pointed the 5906 at the floor all nonchalantly, and dropped the hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    I then had to shell out $900 for a new vac...
    I call shenanigans on your story. We all know that there is no need for a vacuum cleaner in your house as long as you live there....
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post

There no mangos like Dans mangos.

Quote Originally Posted by SirGeorgeKillian View Post
    I call shenanigans on your story. We all know that there is no need for a vacuum cleaner in your house as long as you live there....
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Closest thing was at the range, when packing up I always as a norm point all weapons downrange and discharge them knowing they are empty, just a "thing" I do, well yeah, once there was a 45 acp round in there and it went off, scared the pants out of me.

I had to rent some dummy guns for a photo shoot, this where as real looking as they get, the actions work and they weight and feel like the real thing, they are placed in a table and the 2 talents just grabbed them and started to "play" shooting at each other, at no time it was mentioned they where dummy guns.

Guy my brother rents film gear to was making a very, very low budget "zombie" movie, the director, some young kid who's dad is a local celebrity into guns was providing the weapons from his private collection, Glocks with the 33 round magazines, Mac-10's, 50 cal Desert Eagle, AR, AK handguns, etc., all real stuff.

Daddy comes in first night there's gun shooting involved and there's a whole bunch of talent around so to make his "persona" known he pulls from a bag a bunch of his guns that where just thrown in the bag like a sack of potatoes and laids them on a car's hood. My brother's client jumped and grabbed the guns before everyone started to pass them around, seems this was the "celebrity's" goal, to have his guns admired and pawed by a bunch of complete strangers, most of them where loaded with live ammo!

The guy was a total nightmare, he was also providing the "blanks" that where just ammo some guy loaded for him, full charge with no bullets, think he used glue to keep the powder from falling off, he had this in a bag full of ziplock baggies, some had blanks, some had live ammo, all mixed up.
    Last edited by bruchi; 10-19-2011 at 04:13 AM.