Thread: Opinions please... Savage 110 in 30-06

Opinions please... Savage 110 in 30-06

I have a chance to pick up a Savage 110 in 30 06 with a decent stock, and Bushnell 3x9x40 for about $275. I need another gun like a I need a hole in my head. It's about a 90% gun.

How accurate are they? guy lists it with a free floated barrel but has nothing to say about an accutrigger. I don't see this model on the Savage website, so I am betting it is an older model. These crummy pics are his, not mine. I see them selling on GB for about $250.

Deal or pass? Some of you know I have a Remington 742 in 30-06 already.

D
    I'm an east block weapons kinda guy... AK's SKS, Makarov's Tokarevs ... and American guns too.

Re: Opinions please... Savage 110 in 30-06

Well it should be more accurate than the 742 and it does come with a decent scope.
    If I had one 06 that did what I needed I'd be saving for something else I needed more.
    If you don't need any more guns then send me a few to create a need again

Appears to be an older Savage (pre-accu-trigger)...but that doesn't mean it's not a shooter...Can't vouch for those in wooden stocks,and normally the triggers are kind of atrocious... but the most accurate, dependable rifle in my safe started life as a pre-accu-trigger 110....

For the price...even if you use it as a "brother-in-law" gun...it's worth it...Having a back-up in the safe is never a bad idea...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Good price with the scope + ONE with the guys comments above.

I got my first 110 in the early '70s (I think) 30-06, definitely pre accu-trigger. It was awsome accurate. Never had a hiccup of any kind with that rifle. I now have a later version of the 110 with the accu-trigger, also in 30-06. It is also amazingly accurate. I lost the first one to the ex, That won't happen again. For the money, I don't think you can get a better rifle. Check the bore first, just to be sure it's OK though.

Savage triggers, even the pre-Accutrigger models, are VERY adjustable, and the guns are usually very accurate. I've been involved in tuning up three of them, and they all ended up as sub-MOA rifles. They respond to all the same tuning tricks as any other bolt action. Go for it!
    Jerry
    IF THE LOCAL 7-11 IS OWNED BY MOHAMED THE MUSLIM, WHY CAN I BUY PORK RINDS, SLIM JIMS AND BEER THERE?

It would make a good beater gun, or a great start to a project gun...
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post

There no mangos like Dans mangos.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDanS View Post
    I have a chance to pick up a Savage 110 in 30 06 with a decent stock, and Bushnell 3x9x40 for about $275. I need another gun like a I need a hole in my head. It's about a 90% gun.

How accurate are they? guy lists it with a free floated barrel but has nothing to say about an accutrigger. I don't see this model on the Savage website, so I am betting it is an older model. These crummy pics are his, not mine. I see them selling on GB for about $250.

Deal or pass? Some of you know I have a Remington 742 in 30-06 already.

D
    I paid $250 total for my 7 mag ($205 for the rifle, $25 for shipping, and I always tip my FFL friend $20 for receiving it for me), just like it from Gun Broker, but it wasn't nearly as clean looking as this one. And that one will no doubt leave your 742 in the dust as to accuracy and if you reload it's that much better plus you can get 100-200 more FPS MV out of it. If it's me I'd jump on that babe. It's also a hundred times more durable than your 742. It will still be grouping sub moa when that 742 is in the scrap heap. As good of condition that one apparently is in and for that price I'd be all over it.

Mike
    Last edited by snake284; 10-27-2011 at 06:13 PM.
    I only have YOU guys to blame if things don't work out as planned.

This looks a whole lot like the rifle I inherited when my Dad passed. He got it for Christmas, new, in 1961. Prior to that, he had hunted deer one time with a borrowed rifle. After he got it, he never hunted deer or elk with anything else.

He killed his last, and biggest, buck with it when he was well into his 60s. He also killed his only elk with it when he was in his mid 60s. As far as he was concerned, it was the only rifle he needed or wanted.

The rifle itself is very dependable. I've shot it a little, and haven't found it particularly accurate. I shot the reloads he had been using for years, but just didn't get good results. Maybe one of these days I'll try a different load, glass bed it, or play with it in some other way. Most likely, though, I'll just keep it in my safe for its sentimental value.

As for the price, it seems like a good enough one to me. If you later decide to sell it, you can probably get your money back, or maybe even make a few bucks.
    Jerry

The age of reason...when excuses become reasons.

I didn't read all your post til now. I don't believe it has an accutrigger. However, it is the same trigger that I have on my Stevens model 200 and that came on my 7 Rem. Mag. On the Stevens I just polished the sear and trigger where they mate and I reduced the spring tension. It is now a safe and sweet 3 pound trigger with no creep or over travel. On my 7 mag that is just like the one you pictured here, I put a rifle basix trigger on it and it's a solid smooth 2.5 to 3 pound trigger on it now. The rifle basix trigger cost me about $95 with shipping from Midway. Savages can be extremely accurate right out of the box. But as with all things, it's a crap shoot in factory form. What you hear on the forum about Savage being the best out of the box accurate is maybe a stretch to some extent. What I believe is that they are better than most but there are still exceptions. My Stevens model 200 is one. It shoots about a 2-3 inch 100 yard group. It needs a pressure point on the end of the forearm or a bedding job, not sure. I'm not sure about the Savage 110 7 mag. yet though because I haven't shot it. I'll let you know though.

But the bottom line is that this rifle can be very accurate if it's not already, with a little TLC. I would still get it. You will have a very fine accurate rifle for a third the price of anything else close to it. Also, I don't know what model Bushell scope it has on it, but mine had a cheapo Taso 3-9x32 on it. It was crap so I put a new Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40 on it. But if it's a decent Bushnell then that's really a good deal. From your pics this one appears to be the exact same model as my 7Mag.

Mike
    Last edited by snake284; 10-27-2011 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Medicine Hat View Post
    I got my first 110 in the early '70s (I think) 30-06, definitely pre accu-trigger. It was awsome accurate. Never had a hiccup of any kind with that rifle. I now have a later version of the 110 with the accu-trigger, also in 30-06. It is also amazingly accurate. I lost the first one to the ex, That won't happen again. For the money, I don't think you can get a better rifle. Check the bore first, just to be sure it's OK though.
    You know medicine hat, that's one thing I forgot to address in my posts here. If the bore would be bad (Most likely not just looking at the rifle and knowing that 30-06s aren't usually hard on bores) you can rebarrel a Savage a lot cheaper than most other rifles, thanks to that so called butt ugly barrel nut. According to Teach( I think he said this) you can buy a barrel already fully reemed to that cartridge and use a go-nogo gauge and set the head space without having to reem the chamber. It's another beauty of a Savage rifle.

I'd buy it if I ran accross it, for sure.

A good deal, even if it's just a backup. Grab it.

I dunno about the experience you all have had with them, but every one of the non accutrigger models of the 110 I have seen around my part of the woods...has had the factory stock crack. Most here ditch the stock and get a synthetoic replacemebnt right away.

I have a newer one and it shoots better than I will ever be able to. For that price you cant go wrong.

My brother has one & has had good luck with his IIRC.

Yeah, I'd grab it. Heck, even if just as a donor action.

I doubt you would lose money on it.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

I bought the exact same rifle (Savage 110 30/06) maybe five years ago for $250 (without rings and scope) so I could get it to SS3. It looks like it has a Wal-Mart Bushnell on it, but I bet it will shoot just fine. If you wanted to play with it, I bet it would be a tack driver.

...Edit... I sold that Savage I bought for exactly what I paid for it! I got to shoot 100 rounds through it, and sell it for the same price. It was the only 30/06 I have ever owned. Not a bad rifle, but it really didn't turn my crank.
    Last edited by Jermanator; 10-28-2011 at 04:39 AM.

I have one just like it except in .270. I bought mine from a local gun store with no scope for 175 a couple of years ago. Mine is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. I can put 3 rounds inside of a quarter at 100 yards consistently with handloads. I got mine cheap because it was april and gun store was loaded with extra deer rifles. I would take a chance on it I know it will out shoot your automatic because thats what I bought mine too do and I have never regretted it. I have never had a problem with mine and The trigger is just right.
    "Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now! There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!" LTGEN LEWIS "CHESTY" PULLER, USMC

That's not too bad of a price for it. Around here older .30-06's go for about $250 and up depending on the gun. I snagged a LNIB Weatherby Vanguard for $325 OTD (7mm Rem Mag) but that's a rare occurrence.

If it were me I would snag it, were I in the market. If anything, it's a future .35 Whelen.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Say what you want kid. The .338 is in your future. It might be 10 or 20 years from now, but I will still be there to say "told you so".

Quote Originally Posted by 1965Jeff View Post
    My brother has one & has had good luck with his IIRC.
    Yeah I love mine. It is the "lefty" model of the 110. Just keeps getting better and better!

Savage has mastered the art of cheap but effective (unlike the Remington 710). They're hideously ugly guns that have a reputation for shooting extremely well. Sometimes lipstick on a pig works - just ask Buffy.
    WWJMBD?

Quote Originally Posted by Jermanator View Post
    Say what you want kid. The .338 is in your future. It might be 10 or 20 years from now, but I will still be there to say "told you so".
    Probably. However, I think my .338 will end with "Win Mag" and not "-06." Truth be told I grabbed the 7RM that I grabbed because it was a stellar deal (less than a barreled action stellar deal). Depending on how my fancy goes in the next few years that one may end up as a .338.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

BP must be out of the Net....I was waiting on him to note what he thinks the worth is...
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

It's got a hardwood stock and no accutrigger. Still, I'll bet it's pretty accurate. And the price is OK, but not great.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

I have always watched the used gun racks for Savage rifles with the idea of a "donor action" in the back of my mind. What with the 'barrel nut' and ease of re-chambering, Midway offers chambered barrels for the do-it-yourselfer. A few years ago I bought a used Savage in .308 Win. for just this purpose. I intended to re-barrel it to .260 Rem. with a barrel from Midway. But before I turned the barrel into a tomato stake, I decided to shoot it and see if it was worthy of staking up my tomato plants. It shot groups as tight as my Rem. 700 VS with 125 gr. Nosler BT's. Needless to say, the plans for tomato stakes were sidelined.

Several months later, another Savage came across my path on a used gun rack. It was the long action version in 270 Win. This appealed to me more than the short action since I wanted to make a 6.5-284 norma hunting rifle out of it. In the Norma version of that round you need a long action. Same thing happened.... shot it with 270 Win. ammo, and it grouped too well to turn it into an action donor! So I was deprived of another tomato stake. Both of these Savage rifles were the "pre accu trigger versions... Model 110 & 10. The triggers aren't great, but as somebody else said, after market triggers are available. Bottom line is that these two used Savages are very accurate as is.

IMG_1040sm.jpg
    Last edited by shooter; 10-29-2011 at 12:14 PM.