Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which CZ 452?

Which CZ 452?

So I have decided that I am in the market for a .22 lr CZ 452 but cannot decide which one to get. I cannot really tell if one model of 452 is any more accurate than another. I would like to eventually scope and bipod what I get. Here is where I am at so far.

452 lux - can have both scope and iron sights.
    455 lux - scope, iron sights, and extra .17 barrel
    452 varmint - scope only, shorter heavier barrel
    452/455 American - scope only, longer barrel, 1 lb lighter than varmint.

Any suggestions?
    Is there any reason to shy away from a model that has iron sights if I want to go with a scope?

Thanks

Re: Which CZ 452?

Quote Originally Posted by Apexx View Post
    452 lux - can have both scope and iron sights.
    455 lux - scope, iron sights, and extra .17 barrel
    452 varmint - scope only, shorter heavier barrel
    452/455 American - scope only, longer barrel, 1 lb lighter than varmint.
    First off, the clear answer is to just buy all of them.

Failing that, I personally would go with the Lux. I prefer iron sights to optics, especially on a .22, and the option for both is IMO the best. I doubt your accuracy will suffer any.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

I have the 28" barrelled Ultra Lux.
    The only drawback to both is if you have a huge scope on it like I do, the rear sight gets in the way, though it is easy to remove
    Ya do STUPID stuff, ya win STUPID prizes

I've got the 24" Military Trainer version - basically a Lux with plain hardwood. Like Knitepoet says, the rear sight can be a liability, depending on the scope in question.

The main plus to a Lux is that the iron sights are EXCELLENT for both design and adjust-ability.

The only real downside is that the guns tend to be so accurate that you tend to put optics on and leave them on.

IIRC, the Lux has the same fixed sling swivels as my M.T., which complicates adding a bipod when you don't have Q.D. studs. The Varmint and, IIRC, the American are good to go.

But what do you plan to DO with the thing?
    WWJMBD?

Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    I have the 28" barrelled Ultra Lux.
    The only drawback to both is if you have a huge scope on it like I do, the rear sight gets in the way, though it is easy to remove
    That scope aint my cup-o-tea--but that rifle is! 28" barrel on a .22LR? Wow.
    "If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." -Ronald Reagan on the economic philosophy of big government.

I have the American, I do not like the hogback stock, they look european and if that's what you like I've no doubt you'll be happy with it.
    If mine was stolen I would replace it with another CZ452 American.

Quote Originally Posted by ojr View Post
    I have the American, I do not like the hogback stock, they look european and if that's what you like I've no doubt you'll be happy with it.
    If mine was stolen I would replace it with another CZ452 American.
    I've never shot a rifle with a stock shaped like that...whats so different when shouldering?
    "If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." -Ronald Reagan on the economic philosophy of big government.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post

But what do you plan to DO with the thing?
    Punching paper at about 300 yards sounds about right.
    Probably would put something like a nikon buck master on it. Don't want to spend a lot on the glass.

Better get some big paper for 300 yards with a rimfire especially if there is any wind.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonMPD View Post
    That scope aint my cup-o-tea--but that rifle is! 28" barrel on a .22LR? Wow.
    It's literally "tack driving" accurate, and due to the long barrel, using subsonic ammo, it's quieter than a Daisey 880 pump up pellet rifle.

It took buying my Anschutz 64 to get a more accurate rimfire.
    Here's my first sub MOA 100 yard group I fired with it
    Ya do STUPID stuff, ya win STUPID prizes

Paul has the Ultra lux, I myself have the Lux.

I absolutely love the European style buttstock. Most .22s are hard for me to use the iron sights on, but the Lux with it's dropping butt stock facilitates the excellently designed irons quite well.

Get the 452. Unless you plan on swapping barrels, I'd stay away from the 455. Plus, the 452 is no longer made and will probably be a desirable rifle in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonMPD View Post
    I've never shot a rifle with a stock shaped like that...whats so different when shouldering?
    It places your cheek and eyes lower down on the barrel plane so picking up the iron sights is much easier. Try shouldering a Marlin 60 for example, then try a Lux. You'll see the difference immediately.

Ditto on everybody else's comments - I have a 452 Lux with the Euro hump backed stock and it's the most accurate .22 I've ever had. The stock looks funny but it comes to the shoulder with the irons right where they need to be. I have mine scoped but I like the idea of having irons as a backup or for just fun plinking. Shooting cans at 100 yards is no challenge with that rifle although out at 300 yards the light .22 bullet gets hard to predict if there is any wind at all.

Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    It's literally "tack driving" accurate, and due to the long barrel, using subsonic ammo, it's quieter than a Daisey 880 pump up pellet rifle.
    I got to shoot Paul's rifle at the last SE shoot I attended (2010) and he is right. We had a foam rotating groundhog set out at 100 yards, and all Paul told me was how high to hold the crosshairs. I hit the sucker every single time. BORINGLY accurate.

Using mine (I haven't put a scope on it) I am deadly accurate with the irons out to about 75 meters on squirrel sized objects, and that's a testament to the rifle more so than my shooting abilities. (Although I am pretty awesome.)
    Last edited by Buffco; 11-02-2011 at 04:07 PM.

Sound pretty challenging with a lot of factors to overcome

Quote Originally Posted by Buffco View Post

Using mine (I haven't put a scope on it) I am deadly accurate with the irons out to about 75 meters on squirrel sized objects, and that's a testament to the rifle more so than my shooting abilities. (Although I am pretty awesome.)
    Glad you left it naked Buffy! Mine is too
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

I've had recently the opportunity of shooting a 452 Standard (Same as Lux but with a Beech stock; I own one of those), a Varmint (Virtually an American with a plastic stock), an American and a Silhouette. If your plan is to scope and use a bipod, choices are narrowed to the American and the Varmint.

Both I shot were using bipods and 3-9x40mm scopes; ammo was bulk Winchester Xpert-22 & Blazer, and range was 55 yards. All the 3-shot groups were virtually identical with both rifles, not being able to find any REAL accuracy difference between them. If you plan to walk around the field, the apparently lighter American would seem to be the best choice, although an extra pound shouldn't be an issue.

455s seem to be up to what CZ rimfire fans expect, but those are still "too new" in the market to have a huge acceptance; most users would advice to get a proven 452 while you still can since apparently they will eventually be phased out of production in favor of the easier-to-manufacture 455.

I chose the Standard 452 'cause that was the only model locally available back then, liked the looks a lot more and would like to have the iron sights if the scope was accidentally damaged and rendered useless during a hunting trip. If had the opportunity to get another one, I'd go for the 452 American as my hunting rifle due to the shorter, handier size and weight.

If you plan to do a lot of outdoors shooting & hunting, maybe the 452 Silhouette, if available, is the gun for you; the plastic stock makes it lighter (You can get an extra wood stock from CZ later) and the Nickel-plated finish (There's also a conventional blued steel model) is more resistant to moisture & corrosion.

Problems with those with iron sights are mainly 3: The place where you place your cheek has a "hump" for a better sight picture, and that might need a new shooting position when using a scope; some shooters find it too uncomfortable.
    You'll also need a mid-size or high-size rings to allow the scope front lens to clear above the rear sight, thus having a scope not as close to the gun longitudinal axis as desired. You can remove the rear sight leaf and store it to use lower rings, but this eliminates the possibility of having such "backup" on hand.
    Finally, the barrel is longer and this might be uncomfortable to some shooters, specially those who walk around the bushes with the gun slung over the shoulder.

The 455 has the barrel-swapping option, but this would require to re-set your scope to the new cartridge and to have some tools and spare parts (Like magazines) on hand. The 455 iron sights are also simpler than those used in the 452, so using them instead of a scope won't be as fun as the older ones.

Paul has the Ultra lux, I myself have the Lux.

I absolutely love the European style buttstock. Most .22s are hard for me to use the iron sights on, but the Lux with it's dropping butt stock facilitates the excellently designed irons quite well.

Get the 452. Unless you plan on swapping barrels, I'd stay away from the 455. Plus, the 452 is no longer made and will probably be a desirable rifle in the future.
    Are you basing this on cost or does the 455 not perform. As good as the 452?

I have the 452 American and all I can say is that it is really fun to shoot and very accurate. It goes to the range with me every time.

I own a .22 Lux in .22 WMR, and even with high Leupold mounts, and a Simmons .22 Mag scope I had to remove the rear sight.

I think it boild down to if you intend to scop eor not scope. The drop in the stock comb makes using a scope a little less comfortable than an American style stock. In my opinion there is no need for a heavy barrel varmint as these are dead accurate out of the box.

If I were to buy another, I would get a .22 WMR or .22 LR in a CZ-452 American. It will shoot a dime sized group with most ammo right out of the box up to 125 yards.

If you were to shoot a .22 LR under 50 yards, the .22 Lux with no scope would be a great choice.

IMHO

D
    I'm an east block weapons kinda guy... AK's SKS, Makarov's Tokarevs ... and American guns too.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDanS View Post
    If I were to buy another, I would get a .22 WMR or .22 LR in a CZ-452 American. It will shoot a dime sized group with most ammo right out of the box up to 125 yards.

If you were to shoot a .22 LR under 50 yards, the .22 Lux with no scope would be a great choice.

IMHO

D
    Thanks Dan.
    I really want to scope it and go 100 yards and beyond.
    I was just hoping I could have my cake and eat it to.
    I guess I should take a hard look at the american or one of the sythetic models.

You can also take a look at the Zastava Z-5 (Until recently sold as Charles Daly or Remington Model 5; now imported by USSG), another excellent price/performance/quality bolt-action rimfire of Eastern-European manufacture:

http://www.ussginc.com/pdfs/USSG_2011_Z98_Z5.pdf

you have to do your own thinking on what you want. Do you want to hump this rifle around or is this going to sit on a bench?

if you want IS or like to use them, then get one that has it. Or, expect to spend some $$$ later to have them added. The American CZs dont come w/IS so you can look at it that way. The European CZs come w/IS.

imo and from the testing i done on my CZ 453 American and 452 FS i didnt see that much difference in shootibility and accuracry. what impressed me was that overall it didnt make that much dif in ammo. but i will say that i need to do more testing with some target ammo to see what it likes. most of the RF people say that the CZs like the Wolf target stuff, but i dont have a local source for them. i have to do a large MO for other various ammo soon. i just got one of the 452 Lux and 453 Varmint but havent taken them out yet. but i do expect the same results as the others.

i like IS eventho my eyes arent the best. I will slap on some glass if i want to but in the end i usually take them off. now on my Varmint, i will have to leave the glass on since there isnt any IS, but thats okay. im not sure if i will have some IS installed since at this time, there are more important things to do.

put some thought into what you want in terms of IS or not and if you want to look thru glass all the time.

also, fyi, CZ is going to discontinue the 452/3 line of rifles here and dont expect to get any next year unless you find some NOS or something on the web.

imo, you cant go wrong with any of them. also, btw, if you want the swappable barrel versions, do your homework on this since i would question the accuracy of a swappable barrel system until any bugs are worked out. and iirc, they had some issues with the earlier versions.
    Last edited by ilove22s; 11-02-2011 at 09:45 PM.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt

Quote Originally Posted by Apexx View Post
    Thanks Dan.
    I really want to scope it and go 100 yards and beyond.
    I was just hoping I could have my cake and eat it to.
    I guess I should take a hard look at the american or one of the sythetic models.
    AT LEAST shoulder a Lux model before you decide on the American. Nothing wrong with the American and it does fit a scope easier, but I'm just heavily biased towards that sexy drooping stock I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by ilove22s View Post
    also, fyi, CZ is going to discontinue the 452/3 line of rifles here and dont expect to get any next year unless you find some NOS or something on the web.
    Going to? I think they already have. When I bought mine last fall, it was the end of the 452. No more available from the distributors.

Going to? I think they already have. When I bought mine last fall, it was the end of the 452. No more available from the distributors.
    i was looking at some vendor site saying they will be getting one last shipment. dont know when or what tho.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt

I've got the 452 in varmint and also in the European model, which comes with a threaded barrel for a silencer. They're both fine and very accurate.

Just to add: they're very accurate, but not match accurate without a lot of work.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

AT LEAST shoulder a Lux model before you decide on the American. Nothing wrong with the American and it does fit a scope easier, but I'm just heavily biased towards that sexy drooping stock I guess.

Unfortunately easier said than done. Nobody seems to stock CZ 452 in my area. Looks like I am going to have to order one from buds

I recently bought a cz 455 lux, didn't particulary like the hogback stock but it did come with beautiful wood. I wanted to be able to scope or use irons is why I got the lux. I plan on putting a redfield 2x7 scope on it which has a 33mm objective. In order to clear the irons sights do I need to get cz's medium or high rings? A reply will be appreciated.

I like the hogback stock, but bought the one with the threaded barrel for a silencer. VERY accurate. I think they're all accurate enough to merit a scope, but that's just me.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06