Thread: Need advice on best scope mount for sporterized 1903 A3

Need advice on best scope mount for sporterized 1903 A3

Hey guys looking for some help deciding on the best scope mount for the sporterized 03 A3 I just got. I did some test firing today In between hunts and while it shot well with the irons 2 feet high at 100 yards was the best I could adjust so I think I will just scope it and be done. So what say you guys; what is the best scope mount for the 03 A3? I would prefer a drilled mount for a more stable base and don't mind drillind since it is sporterized anyway.

I love the feel of this rifle, it handles well, the action is buttery smooth and it has an awesome set trigger; a scope would make it a perfect hunter.

Thanks in advance for the help!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member

Banned

Re: Need advice on best scope mount for sporterized 1903 A3

Please don't drill and tap an unmolested '03A3 receiver!

I was going to suggest the Leupold/Redfiled style base, but it looks like they don't make one anymore. I'm sure Weaver still has a base that would fit. But as Teach would say, "Those receivers are harder than woodpecker lips", and are hard to drill. I'll search through my parts tomorrow and see what I can find.
    Found a no drill mount, but know know how good they are.
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...INGFIELD-MOUNT

Ever thought of just putting on a taller front sight?
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Quote Originally Posted by mkk41 View Post
    Please don't drill and tap an unmolested '03A3 receiver!
    I already have a nice mill spec 03 and this sporterized rifle started life out as sporterized from surplus parts so I am not worried about drilling it.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....

Quote Originally Posted by shotgunshooter3 View Post
    Ever thought of just putting on a taller front sight?
    SInce my eyes get worse every year I'll just scope it. If the irons would have been good to start I probably would leave it with irons for a couple more years so since I gotta spend some cash anyway I'm going to put glass on it.
    The action is a later model Remington if that makes you purist feel any better.