Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Bullets for 308

Best Bullets for 308

What do you prefer for whitetail deer using .308 cal rifle

Re: Best Bullets for 308

Quote Originally Posted by browninghunter86 View Post
    That's like asking who do you think is the prettiest actress of all time. There are so many good answers, and any of them can be right.

Do you reload? If so, you have more options than if you don't.

Where will you be hunting whitetail? I can see from your profile that you are in Georgia. If that is where you hunt, just about any good 150 grain to 168 grain bullet will be as good as the next.

What kind of rifle will you be using? Long or short barrel? If you're using a carbine with a 20 inch barrel, and don't expect shots over 100 yards, your choice will be a lot different than if you have a heavy 26 inch barrel from a match grade rifle and expect shots in excess of 300 yards.

FWIW, though, I'm a fan of the Speer Grand Slams, and don't think you can go wrong with that bullet in 150 grain weight.
    Jerry

The age of reason...when excuses become reasons.

165 grain SST/168 grain A-Max
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBobCo View Post
    That's like asking who do you think is the prettiest actress of all time. There are so many good answers, and any of them can be right.

Do you reload? If so, you have more options than if you don't.

Where will you be hunting whitetail? I can see from your profile that you are in Georgia. If that is where you hunt, just about any good 150 grain to 168 grain bullet will be as good as the next.

What kind of rifle will you be using? Long or short barrel? If you're using a carbine with a 20 inch barrel, and don't expect shots over 100 yards, your choice will be a lot different than if you have a heavy 26 inch barrel from a match grade rifle and expect shots in excess of 300 yards.

FWIW, though, I'm a fan of the Speer Grand Slams, and don't think you can go wrong with that bullet in 150 grain weight.

Georgia whitetail shots ranging from 25-400yds. Will be reloading and is a Savage 10 308 with 22in barrel with 1:10 twist rate

Banned

168gr Hornady A-Max is my preference and an amazing bullet. I've used 150gr Nosler BT with descent results as well.

I've been using the 165gr Nosler partitions for about 20 years and have no reason to change. I'm sure there are better bullets out there and is I ever have a deer get back up and walk away after having been hit by one, I'll have to consider a new bullet. There are so many great bullets out there in .308 that I would base my choice more on my style of hunting and what my rifle likes.

I'm three for three on whitetails with Nosler BT 165 gr. in 30-06. It should work about the same in a .308.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Some online sights and people say not to use BT or SST as they will explode and not penetrate if you hit bone? Anyone agree or disagree?

Banned

It's a deer. They ain't that big and they ain't that tough. Most any bullet is gonna do. The tipped bullets like the BT and SST are probably better than a bonded bullet. You will get expansion with the former and not so much with the latter. You don't need a bonded bullet on a GA deer.

Even the A-Max, supposedly a match bullet, is outrageously effective on deer. More accurate as well, usually. With a higher BC for the distance shots.

Either way, what you read is bunk. I've killed plenty of deer with the BT and A-Max. I've killed one with an SST. All worked perfectly.

You don't need the Barnes all copper bullets either.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Some online sights and people say not to use BT or SST as they will explode and not penetrate if you hit bone? Anyone agree or disagree?
    I love the 150 grain SST's in my AR-10 with a 20" barrel. I have taken many deer and countless pigs with that bullet so I guess you could say I tottaly disagree! The one thing I can say on the SST's is game does not run when I lay one in them and it is more forgiving to a less than perfect shot. The down side to them is I find I can not get more than one pig by a pass through shot because there is not enough energy and bullet mass left by the time the round exits the first pig, but hey that's why I like a rifle that holds more than one bullet!

I also use 165 grain and 168 grain bullets in my other .308 rifles with great success. A lot depends on what your rifle likes.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by BPsniper View Post
    It's a deer. They ain't that big and they ain't that tough. Most any bullet is gonna do. The tipped bullets like the BT and SST are probably better than a bonded bullet. You will get expansion with the former and not so much with the latter. You don't need a bonded bullet on a GA deer.

Even the A-Max, supposedly a match bullet, is outrageously effective on deer. More accurate as well, usually. With a higher BC for the distance shots.

Either way, what you read is bunk. I've killed plenty of deer with the BT and A-Max. I've killed one with an SST. All worked perfectly.
    You don't need the Barnes all copper bullets either.

Agree with Barnes. The CS person suggested the TTSX 168gr for whitetail! I thought that was rediculous too much bullet

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    I love the 150 grain SST's in my AR-10 with a 20" barrel. I have taken many deer and countless pigs with that bullet so I guess you could say I tottaly disagree! The one thing I can say on the SST's is game does not run when I lay one in them and it is more forgiving to a less than perfect shot. The down side to them is I find I can not get more than one pig by a pass through shot because there is not enough energy and bullet mass left by the time the round exits the first pig, but hey that's why I like a rifle that holds more than one bullet!

I also use 165 grain and 168 grain bullets in my other .308 rifles with great success. A lot depends on what your rifle likes.

If they perform anything like the interbond or close then I will love their performance. USed interbond on 4 deer and one DRT and others ran maybe 20 yds. Bullet I recovered from one was perfect have not weighed it to see how much weight retention but looked like picture of how it should have expanded

I use 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips in my .243 for antelope. They're about as big as some of the Texas whitetails I've shot, so I think it's an apples to apples comparison.

My experience is that if you hit a bone, they will do the job but destroy some meat. If you punch one through the rib cage, they do very well.
    Jerry

The age of reason...when excuses become reasons.

white tails simply do NOT need premium bullets in near every circumstance. I wouldn't even use a bonded bullet. Bonded bullets, monometals, and premium frame type bullets like the A-Frame and Nosler Partition, were thought up and designed for heavier game, flat out. Outside of people hunting powerlines, HUGE fields or our bro's up in the northern Midwest shooting much larger deer across corn fields and such...you just do not ever need a stronger bullet for deer. People can disagree with me all they want, and some will, but, you don't need it.

BT's and SST type bullets are a much better choice on small animals (and white tails ARE small animals, again, except for the extreme northern bucks that get up to the 300lbs+ range)

The ONLY other time I'd use a strong bullet on such light game is when you are using an extremely fast cartridge. I did this myself this year for antelope, I used a Barnes tipped TSX. However, it was a 130gr bullet being launched from a 300 Wby at speeds that varmint shooters usually work with. The reason I used this choice, was in case of the close shot. Up close, going very fast, the light fast expanding bullets CAN explode on impact and create a non-lethal wound, or blow a hole through the animal the size of a basketball. If I kept my shot choices to 375 yards or longer, I'd probably use a faster expanding bullet if it was available in factory form, because it will have slowed down quite a bit. But, that means I would have had to pass on say a 100 yard shot.

Under 300lbs and not "tough", BT's and SST's are my choice in a more standard FPS cartridge. Over 300lbs and "tough", bonded, premium, or monometals get the nod.

The CS guy who told you to use the 168gr TSX was insane and probably on commission, selling you more expensive ammo
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Some online sights and people say not to use BT or SST as they will explode and not penetrate if you hit bone? Anyone agree or disagree?
    Call your shots...a boiler room shot or a raking shot through the chest with a BT, SST or A-Max will put your critter down in a hurry...I've killed a LOT of deer with these bullets and most just went down in a heap...

Any preference of SST vs Nosler BT? Or both same performance?

For White Tail Deer I would use either a 150 grain Game King or Nosler BT, or maybe one of the Hornady 125-130 grain interlocks. I don't currently have a .308, but if i get another one I'll try the lighter bullets. Too many people here on the forum have had great luck with 125-130grain bullets in .308-30-06.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Need to have an understanding of Nosler BTs...in smaller sizes, .22 etc NBTs have thinner jackets and are more "explosive"...kinda what you would want on a coyote, ground hog, etc..
    In larger sizes, the jacket is thicker in accordance with what your are likely to shoot with a .30, 7mm, etc...

I used to shoot NBTs exclusively...then I was introduced to the Hornady line by a friend...Same or better performance and more importantly, I'm getting 100 bullets for the price of 50 Noslers... I'm sold on the performance of the Hornady line...

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post

I used to shoot NBTs exclusively...then I was introduced to the Hornady line by a friend...Same or better performance and more importantly, I'm getting 100 bullets for the price of 50 Noslers... I'm sold on the performance of the Hornady line...
    This.
    Deer are NOT hard to kill, and do NOT need super duper fancy bullets. SST's work fine. Hell, so do Remmington Core Lockts. ALong with every other cheap bullet out there. Its just a freaking white tail deer. Put it where you are supposed to, and it will die posthaste.
    That don't confront me, as long as I get my money by next Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    Need to have an understanding of Nosler BTs...in smaller sizes, .22 etc NBTs have thinner jackets and are more "explosive"...kinda what you would want on a coyote, ground hog, etc..
    In larger sizes, the jacket is thicker in accordance with what your are likely to shoot with a .30, 7mm, etc...

Nosler now has 2 lines of BT's, hunting and varmint. Some calibers you can get either or. The hunting have the heavier jacket that used to only be limited to the heavier caliber range.

However, 2 rifles of mine (270 and 308) shot SST's VERY well. And I did some load testing with 165gr Hornady spire points and they shot very well also. The AMAX bullets are another "soft" option to check out. BP swears by them, and at least in the Superformance, I am a believer. Going to try out their Match line soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Try out a few decent bullets and pick the ONE THAT FLYS BEST and use it. My preferance is 165 Gamekings, but if you find that plain Jane Hornady SP's fly better from yours, you are good.

BTW they don't need to be proof loads to work. Its a deer, not a tank.

Just ordered my 165gr SST from MidWay USA

Just ordered my 165gr SST from MidWay USA
    I think you'll be pleased...

I think the misconception about the Nosler BTs is based on them originally being designed as a varmint bullet. It was several years later when they came out with a hunting version that was constructed differently.

SST's and BT's cost about the same per box. With the SST's it's a box of 100, and the BT's are only 50. So the SST's get my vote due to similar performance at half the price.

That said, my FAVORITE 30 cal bullet for deer are the 150gr plain jane Remington Core-Lokts. They aren't as glamorous as the tipped bullets, but they've never failed me as long as I did MY part and sent it to the right place.
    There's not a bullet, IMO at least, that can make up for poor shooting
    When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. It is only difficult for others.

It is the same when you are STUPID.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    I think the misconception about the Nosler BTs is based on them originally being designed as a varmint bullet. It was several years later when they came out with a hunting version that was constructed differently.
    Actually, back in the 90's they toughened up the hunting BT's because they were a little too "soft" for most folks. IIRC
    I've had the old ones "grenade" on a yearling doe. 30 cal hole in, 30 cal hole out, everything in between with the consistency of jello
    When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. It is only difficult for others.

I bought a bulk lot of 165 gr .308 Core-Lokts about 20 years ago, and am still shooting them.

I never had one fail on deer from 50-220 yards. I've seen it written that these may be better bullets (tougher) than today's Core-Lokts.

Any truth to this? Anyone know for sure?

I know I have a healthy supply of both the 150's and 165's and the 165's I have perform "tougher"

My thoughts (and that's all this is) is that the 150's were planned to be more for deer sized game animals and the 165's were planned as more of a general "big game" bullet.

I do know, that with the penetration/performance I got with a 165 Core-Lokt @ 80 yards from a 30-06 on a mature doe (STRONG quartering towards me shot) and the ~36" of penetration, I wouldn't have any reservations about poking an Elk or Moose in the boiler room with one.

Thanks everyone for the info. WIll post results once my stuff arrives and get to reload and get out to the range(probably late next week or Monday after Thanksgiving

Went with 165gr SST and Winchester brass and will be using Varget and CCI Large Rifle Primers initially

Went with 165gr SST and Winchester brass and will be using Varget and CCI Large Rifle Primers initially
    Can't guarantee that's the absolute BEST combination in your rifle, but it should be a darned good one