Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preferred SD ammo?

Preferred SD ammo?

Mine pretty much fall to Federal HST and Speer Gold Dots, with the exception of my PM40. I was most impressed with Winchester Ranger-T 165 grainers in it.

I rarely, if ever, CC my 10mm, but it's loaded with 155gr Hornady XTPs when I do.

So, what do you prefer to carry, ammo wise, and why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Jim Wilson on FB
    Rubbing people's noses in stuff is rarely the way to get what you want.

Re: Preferred SD ammo?

HST & Gold Dot

They've done well in all the testing myself and........others have done.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Hornady TAPs 230 grain in the 1911....not sure if they still make it, but I laid in a good supply when I was still working.... The .38 Spl snubby gets129 grain Federal Hydra Shok +Ps
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Gold Dots, HydraShoks, or Rangers in my .40 and .45s; Rangers or Silvertips in my 9mms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.
    NRA Endowment Member

TAP or Gold Dots.
    Overkill is underrated.

Gold Dots in my .40 G22, since that is what the Sheriff's Office issued me and I have about 300 rounds of it. And, Federal Personal Defense for my Ruger LC9s Pro.
    "People are responsible to play a role in their own safety." Sheriff David Clarke 2016

I don't pay much attention and couldn't say other than it's HP. I doubt there's a dime's worth of difference in any of them, since there's just so many ways you can skin a cat.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Gold Dots, Ranger Ts, HSTs mainly. Since Palmetto State had the Gold Dot deals a few months back I have a huge stash of them in 9mm and .45acp along with their 64gr .223.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell

I have decided I am most comfortable with Gold Dots. I have others, Critical Defense, Golden Sabers and HSTs. But when I buy now, it's always Gold Dot.

All the HD ammo I shoot at the range is accurate enough. So I guess for me, it boils down to what I think will penetrate and expand reliably. Based on penetration and expansions tests I've seen on various sites, knitepoet's tests included, I get the warm fuzzies loaded up with Gold Dots.

Trying to buy up all the Gold Dots I can before the laws here change and I can no longer buy online. Don't want to go through a background check to buy ammo.

Edit to add: I have also fallen into the light and fast camp. I prefer lighter bullets for the velocity. 115gr 9mm, 185gr .45 ACP and 125gr .38 Special.
    Last edited by TrueTone911; 09-07-2016 at 02:31 AM.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.

Will Rogers

Oh, and Federal Personal Defense 00 12ga in my 870.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.
    NRA Endowment Member

I use any name brand hollow points. Lately, I've been buying Hornady XTP 147 gr. 9mm, and the same in 230 grain .45 ACP. For years, I carried the Winchester White box hollowpoints, when they were widely available. They were the cheapest thing on the market and were sold 50 to a box.

Mostly Gold Dots.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Mostly Gold Dots.
    I'm no authority on hand guns by any stretch, but I like something that expands well and won't go through three walls. I've been using Winchester Train and Defend. It's relatively low velocity and expands well. I'm thinking I like it, but I'm not sure of anything until I've used it. And thank God that hasn't happened yet. I'm guessing it will work well enough if I do my part. I need to send Zee a couple boxes and let him test it on a pig.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
    I don't pay much attention and couldn't say other than it's HP. I doubt there's a dime's worth of difference in any of them, since there's just so many ways you can skin a cat.
    This.
    And I'll add, since all testing is done in gel and gel only shows how bullets react in gel not people, I'll take my chances. I'd wager 90% of all "performance" is pure advertising driven tactical operator BS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

I feed 'em what they shoot well.
    For the .45s, they get Winchester PDX-1 230gr and ProGrade (loaded with 230gr Hornady XTPs).
    For the .357s, it's Hornady Critical Defense 110gr (.38spl), and Hornady LeveRevolution 140gr (.357mag).
    For the .44s, Hornady LeveRevolution 225gr (.44mag), and Hornady 300gr. XTP for 4-legged encounters.

Of course, there are additional options that each of them shoot well, for the after-cleaning ammo switch.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.

I carry Federal 165 gr. Hydra Shok in my CS 45.

I'm closely familiar with the lethality of HST and HydroShok ammo at practical distances. Either will work.

Just deliver in multiple rapid doses.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    This.
    And I'll add, since all testing is done in gel and gel only shows how bullets react in gel not people, I'll take my chances. I'd wager 90% of all "performance" is pure advertising driven tactical operator BS.
    To some degree. There are time tested hollow point designs, like Winchester Ranger, Speer Gold Dot, et al. There are generic designs also, and they will wound.

However, police shoot and kill hundreds of people a year with hollow point ammo. Even if this doesn't draw a comparison to "generic" hollow points it makes a very strong anecdotal case that they work handily.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Gold Dots anytime! They are my first preference in my .40 and .45. These bullets expands very well and are highly reliable.
    Get firearms safety training only from NRA certified schools

Right now I'm using Hornady 115gr Critical Defense. However, it is nearly time for my annual "shoot up my SD ammo and buy more" and I might switch to Gold Dots.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

I have a lot of Ranger 180gr ammo in .40SW so will continue to use that
    In my carry guns (G43 or SW Shield) all magazines got swapped out after the last range session. Now loaded with Speer Gold Dots 124grs.

Z's science test helped change my mind
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Zed's work has also given me the notion that some additions to the supply are in order. HST and Gold Dots in all of my current chamberings will be added over the course of the next few months.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.

Has anyone else made any changes in light of the R&D Zee has provided?

I use Hornady XTP in my CC guns. They cycle well in the guns I have (that's the primary reason why)

I have NOT done extensive testing, research or comparisons, however, with other possible choices

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyrlf3 View Post
    Has anyone else made any changes in light of the R&D Zee has provided?
    Not from Zee's R&D, from from my own, when I conceal carry my 10mm, it's now loaded with 135gr EFMJ with a moderate charge of BlueDot. (Because there is NO published data for that bullet, and it has a LOT longer bearing surface than any other 135gr bullet, So I picked a midrange load for Nosler 135gr)

They're the best SD bullet I've found at being able to perform with the 10mm's higher velocity. I COULD load other bullets down to 40S&W velocities to be within their design parameters, but why carry a 10mm if you're going to castrate it?

Field load is a 180 XTP with a worked up max load of BlueDot

It spends a LOT more time loaded with "field carry" ammo, than it does my SD loads
    Last edited by knitepoet; 12-01-2016 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    Not from Zee's R&D, from from my own, when I conceal carry my 10mm, it's now loaded with 135gr EFMJ with a moderate charge of BlueDot. (Because there is NO published data for that bullet, and it has a LOT longer bearing surface than any other 135gr bullet, So I picked a midrange load for Nosler 135gr)

They're the best SD bullet I've found at being able to perform with the 10mm's higher velocity. I COULD load other bullets down to 40S&W velocities to be within their design parameters, but why carry a 10mm if you're going to castrate it?

Field load is a 180 XTP with a worked up max load of BlueDot

It spends a LOT more time loaded with "field carry" ammo, than it does my SD loads
    There's no substitute for real science! It is interesting to me to know the motivations behind more experienced shooter's ammo selection. If one takes the use of a firearm seriously, I think the ammo deserves at least as much thought as the gun.

group shot of a bunch of the SD loads I have tried into wet newsprint

2 of the EFMJs shot into water jugs

For big, powerful (.357Mag, .44Special, .45ACP, .44Mag, .45Colt) calibers, it's all good, whatever's on sale. For lesser calibers like .22WMR, .380ACP, and .38Special, I have found that Hornady Critical Defense works reliably and accurately in my guns, so that. My only 9mm guns are military - a Luger and a Walther P1, so for reliability's sake, I use FMJ.

Mostly Gold Dot and XTPs.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Don't discount some good oldies like the 158 grain SWCHP factory cold/soft swagged lead bullets to use or reload in .38 SPl or .357

Even if they don't expand you still got the SWC design which was an improvement over Lead Round Nose bullets in itself. And even LRNs can be lethal (any bullet can and has) and have been used to good effect, but depends more on shot placement and where they are hit, not the best choice especially with all the great choices out there these days

Same in .44 caliber like 240 grain SWCHPs in .44 Spl, not a bad choice and better than RN.

.45 ACP, the 230 grain FMJ/Hardball is pretty good like it is and has proven to work for many decades, but again use a better design and if that fails you still got a .45 cal hole which is bigger than a lot of smaller calibers even if they expand to their max. The lower (in comparison) velocity @ 830-850 fps also helps leave more of its energy in a target than smaller diameter bullets zipping along at 300 fps faster like a FMJ 9mm is one rationale I read about for its effectiveness.

There are no Magical Bullets.

Just some thoughts on this topic. I think we can debate forever and some will argue until the cows come home about this or that load. Just pick what you shoot well, shoots and functions well in your guns and you feel comfortable and confident in.

Best is Have A Gun, know how to use it, practice practice practice with said or similar loads and remember, any gun is better than none.

Be safe!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!