Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preferred SD ammo?

Re: Preferred SD ammo?

Heavy-for-caliber. Flat-nosed and non-expanding for anything .380 or smaller. Got to feed and function. Within those considerations, I'm largely indifferent - top-shelf hollowpoints, flat nosed FMJ's, big meplat cast bullets, unjacketed lead SWC's and HP's, even Hickock's .36 round ball was no slouch. . .I'll avoid hard, round noses if I have a choice, but beyond that, load it up.

It's all lead and copper. It's all generally guided by SAAMI pressure specs. It's all governed by the laws of physics much more than marketing. Everybody has access to what the FBI says a combat pistol round needs to do - be shot accurately, penetrate to hit important stuff, and maybe, once it does that, we'll take some expansion too. I'm more worried about a bullet not penetrating enough than too much - misses kill more bystanders than pass-throughs.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Gold Dot in revolvers. Hornady in the autos. I used to carry TAP, they don't call it that anymore, now they call it "Critical Duty."

Are you guys mostly carrying hand-loads or factory SD ammo?

ETA: On a side note, I this last summer decided it was time to change out the carry ammo in my XD9. I had TAP that was from 2008 IIRC. In and out of the mags countless times. The copper was green in some areas, the black cases were chipped and worn...fired 13 + 1 in the short mag and 16 in the backup. All 30rds fired perfectly. I expected they would at the premium SD ammo price point but I was a little worried that 7 year old ammo that had been carried daily for years would possibly have a hiccup, anyone else try this? How old is the ammo you guys usually carry, and how often do you change it out?
    Last edited by Cheetoh734; 12-02-2016 at 04:44 PM.

Never had issues with ammo no matter how old. Admittedly, I haven't seen many rounds more than 30 years old.

Edited to add: The shotguns get Hornady Critical defense 00 buckshot & Remington 1oz. Sluggers.
    Last edited by bobbyrlf3; 12-02-2016 at 10:43 PM.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetoh734 View Post
    Are you guys mostly carrying hand-loads or factory SD ammo?
    My dedicated carry guns are loaded with factory ammo.
    My field/SD guns are normally loaded with hand loads. Home cast LBT 164gr FNGC, 162gr SWCGC or 152gr SWCHPGC in 357s. LEE 200gr RNFP or Rainier 200gr HP in 45, Hand loaded 180gr XTP (Hunting) or 135 EFMJ (SD) in 10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetoh734 View Post
    How old is the ammo you guys usually carry, and how often do you change it out?
    Depends on the gun, and how often I need it for something. I change it out when I shoot the ammo that's in it (vermin, snakes, coup de grace etc) Or the notion strikes me to change it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Jim Wilson on FB
    Rubbing people's noses in stuff is rarely the way to get what you want.

Anything that makes a .45 hole

The .40cal HST (155/180) is slaying pigs so, that's good enough for me.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    The .40cal HST (155/180) is slaying pigs so, that's good enough for me.
    Did I miss you trying out the 155s? Did you do a postmortem?
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Did I miss you trying out the 155s? Did you do a postmortem?
    http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showth...ther-40cal-Hog!!!

I only watch the gel tester video's to see which rounds expand despite a fabric barrier. I owe it to others that I load what I can reasonably determine will not be a danger to innocents beyond my threat. I like what I saw in the HST, Win T&D, & Critical Defense.
    Last edited by Jack Burton; 12-03-2016 at 09:33 PM.

The only piece I load for SD is 45acp. It has either WWB 230gr hps or GA 230 gr hps. Everything else gets what ever I grab on the run.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Glaser Blue for the first three. Gold Dots after that. If it takes more than that, I'm gonna drop my gun and be running faster than any scalded cat you've ever seen.

Mike
    Last edited by Linefinder; 12-04-2016 at 03:11 AM.
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Heavy-for-caliber. Flat-nosed and non-expanding for anything .380 or smaller. Got to feed and function. Within those considerations, I'm largely indifferent - top-shelf hollowpoints, flat nosed FMJ's, big meplat cast bullets, unjacketed lead SWC's and HP's, even Hickock's .36 round ball was no slouch. . .I'll avoid hard, round noses if I have a choice, but beyond that, load it up.

It's all lead and copper. It's all generally guided by SAAMI pressure specs. It's all governed by the laws of physics much more than marketing. Everybody has access to what the FBI says a combat pistol round needs to do - be shot accurately, penetrate to hit important stuff, and maybe, once it does that, we'll take some expansion too. I'm more worried about a bullet not penetrating enough than too much - misses kill more bystanders than pass-throughs.
    This fits my thinking well. I use 147 grain hollow points in 9mm and 230 grain hollow points in .45 ACP, but accuracy and penetration are what I believe in.

My Kimber is loaded with two different type of ammo.Liberty 50 grain that comes out of 3 inch barrel at 2000 fps and winchester 147 grain that's sub sonic less than 1120 fps. The liberty set me back thirty dollars for 20 round and I can buy Winchester Lawman for thirty dollars for 147 grain for 50 rounds. I prefer the 147 grain slow and heavy.I bought the Liberty on a wim.

I've got these 300 grain LFNs for my .44mag with @ 1226 FPs of energy...

I like 147 grain for my 9mm. Wichester brand cause it's most reasonably priced for 50 round verus 20 rounds.

Logansport Indiana, by way of Hohenwald Tennessee by way of Cocoa Florida

My 70 series Colt Government Model is loaded with 230 grain Winchester Black Talons, Black Talons in my Browning Hi-power, 158 grain S&W Nyclads, in my Model 85 Taurus, and 102 grain Remington JHP's in my Walther PPKS. Keep yer powder dry.........robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO

9mm 147 grain critical defence
    40 180 grain gold dots
    45 230 grain hydro shocks.

Anyone ever try ammo tailored to shorter barrels? I think federal has a version of HST called micro for <4inch barrels. I've read most SD ammo does not get up to speed in short barrels, slow burning powder does not all burn.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

I shot some----did not notice any difference

Corbon in just about any caliber

Quote Originally Posted by BAMAAK View Post

Anyone ever try ammo tailored to shorter barrels? I think federal has a version of HST called micro for <4inch barrels. I've read most SD ammo does not get up to speed in short barrels, slow burning powder does not all burn.
    I've tried the GD short barrel in 38 and 40
    from G22

Same ammo from PM40

I don't have any pics from testing the 38spcl GDSB, I may not have tested it, but I do have some of it.

Any heavy for caliber hollow point. Gold Dots mostly, but I'm not picky. Only have two guns with less than ~4" barrel though, and the 2.5" J frame is not a primary carry piece... just occasionally. The Kimber Ultracarry, more frequently.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug

I purchased some expensive stuff made by liberty it's 50 grains and leaves barrel at 2000 fps for 9mm.Costs are prohibitive at buck and half a round.I'll be purchasing winchester lawmen for $32.50 for 50 rounds of 147 grain in 9mm.I've always liked it as I had a box of winchester self defense.Slow and heavy works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by stetson View Post
    I purchased some expensive stuff made by liberty it's 50 grains and leaves barrel at 2000 fps for 9mm.Costs are prohibitive at buck and half a round.I'll be purchasing winchester lawmen for $32.50 for 50 rounds of 147 grain in 9mm.I've always liked it as I had a box of winchester self defense.Slow and heavy works for me.

My agency carries HST in duty weapons. We have only had one shooting with it and it worked as desired. I carried HST in my off duty semi auto but switched to Gold Dots a few years back. I carry GD in my J frame as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    My agency carries HST in duty weapons. We have only had one shooting with it and it worked as desired. I carried HST in my off duty semi auto but switched to Gold Dots a few years back. I carry GD in my J frame as well.
    In my testing into wet newsprint, you can't go wrong with either of those bullet designs IMO

Hornady critical defense in my 9mm Springfield EMP.

I ran across a website that tested various ammo using (and explaining) the FBI standards and rather than trying to tell you which was best, just posted the results for you to make your own decision. Based on the results posted, I carry Remington Golden Sabre HPJ 147 grain in my 9MM.

Preferred SD ammo?

Whoops, I already replied to this thread...
    Last edited by shotgunshooter3; 03-27-2017 at 07:09 AM.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Hornady Critical Defense.
    Last edited by Danoobie; 05-20-2017 at 03:47 AM.