Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 167

Thread: Taking a knife attack seriously

  1. #31
    Senior Member Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17,141

    Re: Taking a knife attack seriously

    I knew you understood the game. I just didn't want others to think, if they were fast enough on the draw that they could stop an attacker wielding a knife by simply getting a shot off before contact.

    Not correcting you. Just adding to.........for others benefit.

    My beautiful French Model, you.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

  2. #32
    Member Hondo341's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Sunny Florida
    Posts
    424

    Re: Taking a knife attack seriously

    I know we were taught the 21' rule in the SO. But, it was qualified that you didn't want to wait until they hit the 21'. That is simply the "red zone" so to speak. I believe the way the lawyers/courts coddle the perps is why there is so much hesitation......ie Ferguson, etc. Bad guys certainly have more of an edge today; no pun intended.
    "People are responsible to play a role in their own safety." Sheriff David Clarke 2016

  3. #33
    Senior Member Jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New Mexico/Texas
    Posts
    2,397

    Re: Taking a knife attack seriously

    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    I knew you understood the game. I just didn't want others to think, if they were fast enough on the draw that they could stop an attacker wielding a knife by simply getting a shot off before contact.

    Not correcting you. Just adding to.........for others benefit.

    My beautiful French Model, you.


  4. #34
    Senior Member coolgunguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Somewhere north of Mozambique
    Posts
    5,167

    Re: Taking a knife attack seriously

    I won't go so far as to say that somebody who doesn't take a knife attack/'man with a knife' seriously deserves to be cut, but not taking such things seriously is foolhardy.

    Frankly, this discussion has me reconsidering my thoughts on that shooting in Chicago last year...If memory serves, the cop allowed the kid to get much closer than have should have, even though the kid was walking a path that wouldn't take him to the cop, but past him...it would have put the guy WAY inside the 'safe' zone.
    Tim Mason

  5. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,206

    Re: Taking a knife attack seriously

    Another reason: this weekend, a nut attacked and stabbed 9 people in a mall in St. Cloud, MN. He was killed by an armed off-duty PO from another jurisdiction. The mayor of St. Cloud said the PO, whose name was Joseph Falconer, was attacked from 20 feet and shot the guy three times. Each time he shot, the guy fell but got up and tried to attack.

    The mayor said the attacker covered 20 feet in 2 seconds. Said he was armed with something like "a kitchen knife." It's on film and should be a part of training for anyone who CC a firearm for protection of him/herself or others.

    I'd like to know what the PO was toting, but thank God he was armed.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

  6. #36
    Member bowserb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    277

    Re: Taking a knife attack seriously

    Worth note. The Crossroads mall is another No Firearms or Other Weapons facility. Surprised?
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history." - Ayn Rand

  7. #37
    Senior Member coolgunguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Somewhere north of Mozambique
    Posts
    5,167

    Re: Taking a knife attack seriously

    So, one has to ask; Would John Q. be facing legal issues if the person who stopped the attack wasn't a LEO?

    The cynic in me thinks it's a possibility.
    Tim Mason

  8. #38
    Moderator Wambli Ska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Working on my tan!
    Posts
    20,877

    Re: Taking a knife attack seriously

    Quote Originally Posted by coolgunguy View Post
    So, one has to ask; Would John Q. be facing legal issues if the person who stopped the attack wasn't a LEO?

    The cynic in me thinks it's a possibility.
    GREAT question!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

  9. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Posts
    82

    Re: Taking a knife attack seriously

    The lawmen should have more training, But I've had no training and the attacker would be down when he makes the first step towards me.I'd try for a leg first if I miss and he keeps advancing I'd empty my gun on the upper body; I don't think he would keep advancing with 5 to 6 rounds in him, but I'd try and never run. All of this is easy to say but you never know how you would react when it is actually happening.

  10. #40
    Senior Member cpj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    MOzambique
    Posts
    32,104

    Re: Taking a knife attack seriously

    Quote Originally Posted by big elk View Post
    The lawmen should have more training, But I've had no training and the attacker would be down when he makes the first step towards me.I'd try for a leg first if I miss and he keeps advancing I'd empty my gun on the upper body; I don't think he would keep advancing with 5 to 6 rounds in him, but I'd try and never run. All of this is easy to say but you never know how you would react when it is actually happening.
    Shooting at/for a leg is the dumbest thing you could ever do.
    A. Small target. Good luck hitting a moving leg under stress. Hint:it ain't happening.
    B. You hit a leg, and don't hit it good, Mr Scumbag is still coming for you. Does a center mass shot ensure he will stop? No, but, it's a MUCH larger area to hit, and while not 100% certain it will stop someone, it's a better chance than a leg.
    People who say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

  11. #41
    Senior Member Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17,141

    Re: Taking a knife attack seriously

    Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    Shooting at/for a leg is the dumbest thing you could ever do.
    A. Small target. Good luck hitting a moving leg under stress. Hint:it ain't happening.
    B. You hit a leg, and don't hit it good, Mr Scumbag is still coming for you. Does a center mass shot ensure he will stop? No, but, it's a MUCH larger area to hit, and while not 100% certain it will stop someone, it's a better chance than a leg.
    This.

    Forget the leg! Forget the head.

    Center mass, start the clock and keep hitting center mass until the clock stops ticking. It's the biggest target ya got!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

  12. #42
    Senior Member coolgunguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Somewhere north of Mozambique
    Posts
    5,167

    Re: Taking a knife attack seriously

    Never shoot for the legs. Shoot for the hands, so the attacker can't hold a knife!
    Tim Mason

  13. #43
    Senior Member early's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Thornton CO
    Posts
    3,500

    Re: Taking a knife attack seriously

    I cant imagine anyone thats ever been attacked not taking it seriously.

    Ive been assaulted at knife point twice in my life. Admittedly niether time was an all out attack although the second one degenerated to that. IMO an attack on a un uniformed citizen would likely be in the form of a hands on scuffle and one would have to deploy their handgun during the scuffle while receiving knife wounds.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

  14. #44
    Senior Member bisley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    8,330

    Re: Taking a knife attack seriously

    Quote Originally Posted by early View Post
    I cant imagine anyone thats ever been attacked not taking it seriously.

    Ive been assaulted at knife point twice in my life. Admittedly niether time was an all out attack although the second one degenerated to that. IMO an attack on a un uniformed citizen would likely be in the form of a hands on scuffle and one would have to deploy their handgun during the scuffle while receiving knife wounds.
    Sounds right to me. I remember from my teen years that a lot of the hardcore thugs carried those cheap switchblades and would use them as 'fist-loads' in a scuffle, so they could be secretly deployed as a stabbing weapon, if they started losing badly. Thinking back, that was actually a kinder, gentler era - nowadays, the thugs will just go to weapons, from the very beginning.

  15. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,206

    Re: Taking a knife attack seriously

    Quote Originally Posted by coolgunguy View Post
    So, one has to ask; Would John Q. be facing legal issues if the person who stopped the attack wasn't a LEO?

    The cynic in me thinks it's a possibility.
    Shoot someone, whether LEO or civilian, you're going to get sued. Especially if it's not in personal threat. Maybe or almost certainly not criminal issues, but possibly civil.

    It costs $40 to submit a lawsuit with a helluva return if the plaintiff wins with no cost for loss. And many lawyers start off making $13K a year which makes hungry lawyers so you see why you'll get sued. Been there, done that.

    It goes with the territory.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

  16. #46
    Moderator Jayhawker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Manistee Natl Forest
    Posts
    11,631

    Re: Taking a knife attack seriously

    Quote Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
    Shoot someone, whether LEO or civilian, you're going to get sued. Especially if it's not in personal threat. Maybe or almost certainly not criminal issues, but possibly civil.

    It costs $40 to submit a lawsuit with a helluva return if the plaintiff wins with no cost for loss. And many lawyers start off making $13K a year which makes hungry lawyers so you see why you'll get sued. Been there, done that.

    It goes with the territory.
    This used to be the case, but now not so much...there are several states that have clauses in their Self Defense Acts (or whatever they are called in those particular states)that provide immunity from civil suits should the shooting be determined to be within the law....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

  17. #47
    Senior Member knitepoet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    14,282

    Re: Taking a knife attack seriously

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    This used to be the case, but now not so much...there are several states that have clauses in their Self Defense Acts (or whatever they are called in those particular states)that provide immunity from civil suits should the shooting be determined to be within the law....


    I know Alabama's one of them. If it's a justified shoot, "somedood's" family cannot bring a civil suit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Jim Wilson on FB
    Rubbing people's noses in stuff is rarely the way to get what you want.

  18. #48
    Member Smiley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    201

    Re: Taking a knife attack seriously

    Same in Texas.

  19. #49
    Moderator Jayhawker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Manistee Natl Forest
    Posts
    11,631

    Re: Taking a knife attack seriously

    MI and KS as well
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

  20. #50
    Moderator Wambli Ska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Working on my tan!
    Posts
    20,877

    Re: Taking a knife attack seriously

    NC too. A justified shooting can not be the subject of criminal or civil action, SPECIALLY if the receiver of the lead pills was in the process of committing a crime like B&E into your home or violent action agains you or yours...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

  21. #51
    Moderator Wambli Ska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Working on my tan!
    Posts
    20,877

    Re: Taking a knife attack seriously

    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    This.

    Forget the leg! Forget the head.

    Center mass, start the clock and keep hitting center mass until the clock stops ticking. It's the biggest target ya got!
    Would it make sense after a few COM shots to start aiming lower to the pelvis, specially if the attacker is moving towards you?
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

  22. #52
    Senior Member Teach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Dellrose TN
    Posts
    15,980

    Re: Taking a knife attack seriously

    "Mozambique triple-tap"- - - - -crotch, chest, forehead!
    Jerry
    The masochist says "HIT ME! The sadist says "NO!"
    "When a man's down, KICK HIM! If he survives it he can rise above it!"

  23. #53
    Senior Member Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17,141

    Re: Taking a knife attack seriously

    Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    "Mozambique triple-tap"- - - - -crotch, chest, forehead!
    Jerry
    Looks cool on the range and sounds bad ass. In actual application..........you moving.........them moving..........the cranial vault is a hard target. If it's just you and the bad guy with no other innocents around and you wanna launch a round at the head.........have fun. If there are people in the background and you miss the low percentage head shot.......you still own that bullet and whatever it hits.

    I am going to send my rounds where they are most effective and where I am most likely to hit. Every situation is different. But, what is MOST likely to be happening is that ONE or BOTH of us are gonna be moving! How many of you high speed individuals here practice on your calm flat range with you AND/OR the target moving? Now, do it with a little stress.

    Right.

    "Mozambique Drill" my ass.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

  24. #54
    Member Smiley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    201

    Re: Taking a knife attack seriously

    No, I'll do the Bill Drill, all three in the chest.

  25. #55
    Senior Member coolgunguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Somewhere north of Mozambique
    Posts
    5,167

    Re: Taking a knife attack seriously

    Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    No, I'll do the Bill Drill, all three in the chest.

    If three is good, four is better and five....hooahh!


    I'm mostly joking, of course. For folks who live-as I do-in a less than rural area...training for reality is not encouraged.
    Tim Mason

  26. #56
    Moderator Wambli Ska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Working on my tan!
    Posts
    20,877

    Re: Taking a knife attack seriously

    250 round practice session yesterday I love having the range and a 3 berm pistol range to myself. Shoot til it hurts baby...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

  27. #57
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Central Maine
    Posts
    42

    Re: Taking a knife attack seriously

    I heard 21 foot rule been increased to 30 feet.Thoughts?I am an old guy so the extra 9 feet make make the difference of how the event transpires.

  28. #58
    Senior Member NN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    20,001

    Re: Taking a knife attack seriously

    Quote Originally Posted by coolgunguy View Post
    If three is good, four is better and five....hooahh!


    I'm mostly joking, of course. For folks who live-as I do-in a less than rural area...training for reality is not encouraged.
    Make friends with a local farmer and use his back 40 by the wood lot.

  29. #59
    Senior Member breamfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Living in a van, down by the river.
    Posts
    11,537

    Re: Taking a knife attack seriously

    Quote Originally Posted by stetson View Post
    I heard 21 foot rule been increased to 30 feet.Thoughts?I am an old guy so the extra 9 feet make make the difference of how the event transpires.
    1. It's not a real rule.
    2. Distance depends on several factors. If you're old, less mobile, and have slower reaction times, you're allowed a greater bubble.
    3. It doesn't have to be a knife.
    Overkill is underrated.

  30. #60
    Senior Member Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17,141

    Re: Taking a knife attack seriously

    Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    1. It's not a real rule.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •