Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your 3 favorite carry guns?

What are your 3 favorite carry guns?

Or, most commonly carried?

Carry for me is pretty utilitarian. It's gotta work and it's gotta work well in my hands. For that reason, I am a Glock fan, hands down. They accomplish both of my stipulations with aplomb.

Most often concealed carried? Glock 23c, now with 4.5" Lone Wolf barrel.

This gun fits my hand well, shoots well, and just makes sense. With 14 rounds of 155gr HST in the gun and 17 rounds in the spare mag, I feel comfortable at making an........inconvenient target to someone. It's simple and effective.

My second most carried gun is the Glock 43 with 7 rounds of Speer 124gr GD in the gun and 8 in the spare mag.

Not being a mouse gun fan.........this is about as "mouse-ish" as I go. It's small enough to easily carry unobtrusively and will make enough noise to hopefully get me out of a less than ideal situation. With a small gun comes limitations. Limitations in both range and capacity. So, thought is given as to when and why I carry this one. But, for those times I deem it necessary or practical, it's my go-to gun.

Now, my FAVORITE carry gun is not my most often carried. But, it's my favorite none the less.

"Perdition", with 11 rounds of 180gr HST in the gun and 10 in the spare mag...........she is wicked accurate (1.5" @ 50yrds) and stupid comfortable. Designed by me and purpose built by Tripp, it is my finest fighting gun. Points and shoots like an extension of my arm, the safety is crisp, the trigger light. Perfection.

But, I have a lot in her and she means a lot to me. So, she is not often carried. Just because. She is not a Bar-B-Q gun as I don't believe in them. But, she is more of a special purpose gun. And I feel no less prepared carrying the G23 in her place. But, if I feel I am likely to be facing a greater distance to a threat, that is when she gets to play. That is why I carry a heavier bullet in her.

So, what are your 3 favorite or most often carried handguns? You may expound as to why if you so choose.

Thanks.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Re: What are your 3 favorite carry guns?

S&W 431 pd pocket carried

Bulgarian Makarov concealed 5 o'clock

G22 / G20 depending open carry / OWB

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

My favorite is my Baer Comanche in .45acp in a Sparks Versa Max for general carry. Next for times when I need a little deeper carry a SA EMP in 9mm in a Remora holster appendix carry. My best jacket pocket choice is my Grandpa's old S&W 49 .38Special which rides in a jacket pocket and can fire from there with no problems since the shroud lets the hammer function without snagging.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell

Most often is Charter Arms 44spc, if I have to go to Miami a 1911 clone 45acp with extra mags, and open carry Ruger 3 screw Blackhawk 41 mag.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Primary carry, Model 469 Smith in 9mm. It's smaller than my 1911, but still bigger than what I really would want to carry.

Second in pecking order, German Mauser pocket pistol bring back from WWII by my dad in .32 ACP. It worries me with such an under powered cartridge, but it carries and shoots so good!

Third, and last (only because it's bigger than I really want to carry but I shoot it pretty well), Springfield Armory SS 1911 .45 ACP.
    Last edited by snake284; 01-02-2017 at 07:26 PM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

My 43 and 26, in that order
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Bishop View Post
    My 43 and 26, in that order
    How do you like the 43? I shot one last time I was in Fla, and have to say its the first Glock that I really liked. I guess it was the Gen 3 ergonomics - I previously shot a 26, and it shot competently enough, but I was like "meh". The 43 I think I could grow to love, although there's plenty of others for to try in my quest for a carry 9.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

Kimber UltraCarry II is with me just about 90% of the time and all around it's the "best" carry gun I have with the best trifecta of comfort, capacity and reliability. Sometimes in cooler weather I take out the Colt Commander or the Wilson CQB in that order of frequency in rotation. In VERY infrequent occasions when I really need a small gun I tuck my Detonics Mark I into an IWB holster and walk out the door. I would have to say the CQB and Detonics go out about the same number of times and are tied for third on the rotation but the CQB spends most time in the safe. The other 3 are in my night stand waiting for me to pick up my keys, wallet and pick which one of them is going out with me.

BUT, my absolute carry favorite of them all is the Wilson, but just like Zee's Perdition it's a special purpose gun.

The Commander is my favorite sized 1911 and my preferred platform but my Kimber is quite frankly the much better gun than the Colt. For that reason I have started to keep my eyes open for a good opportunity to snag a Commander sized Kimber or SA with an aluminum frame for CC and I think that will make me spend more time with the slightly larger gun.

I was hoping that a 43 was in my CC future as a more active member of the clan, but the more I handle the gun the more I realize that the bump on the ass (just like the infamous arched MSH on a 1911) makes for a presentation in which the front sight is COMPLETELY up and out of the notch in the rear sight. If this is not corrected with more shooting and familiarity with this gun I MAY have to seek another option. It's not a problem for social distances but it is a bit irritating because, well, I KNOW it's there. So for now it's reserved for a quick trip to a restaurant or club when I'm not leaving my development.
    Last edited by Wambli Ska; 09-29-2016 at 03:00 AM.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

I like it!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by zorba View Post
    How do you like the 43? I shot one last time I was in Fla, and have to say its the first Glock that I really liked. I guess it was the Gen 3 ergonomics - I previously shot a 26, and it shot competently enough, but I was like "meh". The 43 I think I could grow to love, although there's plenty of others for to try in my quest for a carry 9.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Even though they are different platforms, The Shield and Glock 43 split the duty. When in climates that call for more cloths the Commander comes along
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Para LW Commander 45 IWB
    Kahr PM40 pocket

Guess I should add a third, Tie: Remington 1911R1 45/ RIA 1911 10mm, though they are a DISTANT third, which is why I can't rank one above the other.
    Last edited by knitepoet; 09-27-2016 at 10:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Three of my two favorite carry guns are my Taurus 738TCP (.380ACP) and my NAA Mini-Revolver (.22WMR). Nothing else I have fits as well in my pocket.

XDm; SP 101; LCR-------list will change once it gets cold.
    Someone please play Jingle Bells

Kahr CW9, and a keltec .380. Why only two favorites? I've only got two to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    Kahr CW9, and a keltec .380. Why only two favorites? I've only got two to begin with.

Well, you have a third.............you just don't..........use it often.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

The three I choose from most often are;
    1911 Commander
    1911 Compact
    Full size 1911

There is a Ruger LCR that goes in the back pocket often
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Banned

1 glock 19
    2 kahr pm9 Hate the trigger, but I can carry it whatever I wear.
    3 Keltec 380 Don't really love this one, but I can work all day, and have it with me. The other two not so much.

Kahr P380
    Kahr PM40
    Glock 20

Favorite is my full-size 1911.
    But it's too big! It's too heavy! You can't wear it with shorts/dress clothes! I've found that with a good belt and holster... it ain't a problem that can't be figured out.
    It's got decent power for a handgun, it's what I can hit with the best, controls are pretty well instinctual, it's controllable for me, and the SA trigger allows me to extract the most accuracy with admittedly infrequent live-fire practice.

Second favorite: my Hi Power clone. It's got most all of the pluses of the 1911, only issues are the front sight isn't fiber optic, the Pachmayrs are a little "snaggy" on my cover gear, and the corners of the spare mag are sharp. I'm not concerned with the 9mm vs. .45. The trigger's a little different and takes some re-acquaintance, but on the plus side it'll fit into every holster for the 1911. Mag carriers aren't interchangeable, alas.

Third favorite: FN Barracuda 3" .357. It needs a purpose-made holster, and the front sight's a little narrower than I like, but I was reminded how much I enjoy shooting a full-size revolver. It's got all the normal revolver issues - kinda thick, reloads take more practice than an autoloader, etc. - but I like it.

Distant tenth: Smith and Wesson Model 38 Bodyguard. I just don't practice with a J-frame often enough for it to be more than a get-off-me-gun.
    Overkill is underrated.

Kahr PM9 - 90%
    XD40SC - 8%
    Range Officer - 2%
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Shield 9mm
    M&P40
    Hatfield custom CCO

(and sometimes a Beretta 92A1...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.
    NRA Endowment Member

1) Ruger LC9s Pro Heat in FL makes this a great pocket gun. Great trigger, shoots accurately, and cheap enough I don't care if it gets some bumps and bruises.

2) Les Baer Stinger .45acp

3) Colt Officer's SS custom job by Wilson Combat
    "People are responsible to play a role in their own safety." Sheriff David Clarke 2016

1) XDs .45, extended mags, for CC

2) XDM .45, truck gun and HD

3) S&W 19 .357, alternate

XD45 Compact, with 10 round mag and 13 round spare, IWB @3:00.

XDs.45 in pocket (or sometimes 9mm Shield, in pocket). It prints, but who cares?

Glock G-20 woods gun, OWB or across the chest.

I may substitute my 4" 1911 occasionally, or a revolver, but mostly I stick to striker-fired weapons.

Most often carried?

Glock 22 or 17
    Kimber SS Ultracarry (when the wife isn't looking... I "borrow" it back )
    S&W 36 Sq. Butt
    S&W 66
    S&W 29 4"

Pretty much in that order for frequency.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo341 View Post
    1) Ruger LC9s Pro Heat in FL makes this a great pocket gun. Great trigger, shoots accurately, and cheap enough I don't care if it gets some bumps and bruises.

2) Les Baer Stinger .45acp

3) Colt Officer's SS custom job by Wilson Combat

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug

1- old, ratty, beat up Glock 22
    2- CZ P-07 Duty
    3-Kimber Pro Carry stainless
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

The gun I carried before, the one I'm carrying now, and the one I'll carry later.

So far, all some form of 1911
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin

1. S&W 640. I don't like aluminum and avoid it whenever I can. The all-stainless, 25oz package does a fair job of soaking up a .357's recoil. It's surprisingly accurate to a surprising distance once you figure out how to run DAO. It can be carried without a lot of preamble.

2. Full size 1911. It's the "old friend" I know and understand the quirks of better than "the rest of humanity".

3. Trials starting on 4" revolvers soon. I've been shooting them a lot over the last couple years and shooting them well.

What? "No big capacity" you say? I expect most encounters to follow the Akira Kurosawa samurai film path of draw, cut once or twice, and either go home or hit the ground in two pieces, as opposed to the Three Musketeers "filler fight" of tinking blades against each other for 20 minutes. As a wise forum member once said "I won't even go to take a piss without a reload", but I feel that a large, onboard reservoir often (not always) detracts from the shooter's ability to solve the problem quickly by giving up ergonomics for round count.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

The PF9 is with me most of the time. 9mm in a little package that can get past in work cloths.
    Used to go 1911 so the Kimber goes along unless I know I am going to sweat and bang it around, then the old Auto Ord.
    There is no #3 carry, but I have been known to toss a carbine in the truck if things feel wierd.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.