Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are your 3 favorite carry guns?

Re: What are your 3 favorite carry guns?

My .40 Shield, my LCP, and CA Bulldog in .44special, in that order. The Bulldog is stainless and I usually have it when at the ranch because it is easier to clean off dirt and sweat and I keep two rounds of snake shot and three bullets in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Primary carry sidearm is also my most recent CC purchase, an SA XD MOD 2.0 in .45acp. After carrying full-size-only for years, I decided to give myself more options for when the weather is hotter and I don't want to carry so much extra weight.

I carry it IWB in a Raw Dog tactical hybrid, or OWB in an Alien Gear cloak slide. The Raw Dog took some getting used to, but it's broken in now. The Alien Gear.......not so much. Just don't like it.

I have owned an XD before, so getting used to the trigger break was quick and easy.

It carries 10 in the compact mags, and 13 in the extended ones. I usually carry one reload, though I'll carry two when I get a double mag holder.

Secondary is my Kimber CDP, in .45acp; this used to be my primary sidearm. It's still my go-to when I don't need deep concealment and want to be more confident about possible moderate-distance shots.

I usually carry it OWB in a leather Avenger-style, which is easiest, but I have a Crossbreed for when I need to conceal more discretely. Either way works perfectly.
    It's plenty accurate for cc. All carry magazines hold 8 rounds. I carry 1 reload if my cover garment is just a shirt, two if I'm wearing a suit or jacket.

Third is the FN FNP45.

I've become confident in my ability with this gun, mainly because it absorbs recoil so well. It is DA/SA, but the safety allows me to carry cocked-and-locked, just like my 1911. Still, I mostly keep this one at home. It's the AM General Hummer of handguns; big and heavy, with 14 and 15-round mags, so I don't carry it as much now that I have the XD as a higher capacity option. I changed out the backstrap to a flat one that came in the case with the gun.

When I do carry it, I keep a reload on me. I have a custom Brigade Gunleather OWB for cold weather and the woods, and a Crossbreed for concealing under simple shirts.

All three have proven accuracy and precision with these two loads, so I rotate between them about once a quarter:

For those days when I'm feeling lucky, I may carry the GP-100, loaded with either Hornady Critical Defense or Gold Dots.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bobbyrlf3; 10-03-2016 at 05:14 AM.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.

Logansport Indiana, by way of Hohenwald Tennessee by way of Cocoa Florida

Warm weather: Model 85 Taurus, Walther PPS, Charter Arms Undercover
    Cold weather: G22, Colt 70 series, Model 57 S&W
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO

Banned

Kel Tec 9mm and Ruger LCP 380. Plenty of rounds.
    Last edited by Rocketman; 10-03-2016 at 03:09 AM.

You will usually find me with a Colt Defender 9mm or a Kimber in 45. Depending on the circumstances I might have a s&w body shield 380. The Colt and the Kimber I carry owb.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post

Luis
    You know how sensitive I am.
    "People are responsible to play a role in their own safety." Sheriff David Clarke 2016

My three favorite are all Glock 9mms.

1) Chopped (to 19 length) Gen3 Glock 17, wearing a Surefire X300u, worn @ 3:00.

2) Gen3 Glock 34, wearing a Surefire X300u, worn @ 3:00.

3) Gen4 Glock 19 (this is my NPE gun), worn in the appendix position.

The whole kit 'n kaboodle...

And since I know some of y'all are going to ask, the knife is a ShivWorks Clinch Pick, riding in a Dark Star Gear sheath, and the pocket-rocket is a S&W 442, riding in a Sticky Holster (in my left front pocket).

Last edited by Eli; 10-01-2016 at 03:31 PM.

I REALLY that blade!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    I REALLY that blade!

Is the orange thing some kind of tourniquet?

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    I REALLY that blade!
    I do too - I'm glad he identified it up front - off to Google it...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

Quote Originally Posted by waipapa13 View Post

Is the orange thing some kind of tourniquet?
    'Tis.

https://smile.amazon.com/T-S-Rapid-A...ats+tourniquet

http://ratsmedical.com/collections/products

That Clinch Pick looks like something Jack the ripper would use to rip open elephants.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Banned

Ruger LCP and Keltec 9mm, both which I'm reconsidering after shooting yesterday at the range in between letting my Remington 700 cool down. The triggers mile long pull made for terrible shooting even at 7 yards. I'm sure they are good enough to dump a mag center mass, but still.

CZ P-09 or CZ SP-01 Phantom

Only third choice I have....

Well, with a single point sling under a car coat, doable...and completely legal. And likely going to be a huge pain in the rear, too.

That is a cool bit of gear, thanks for the links.
    Out of curiosity are you in the medical field and carrying that by coincidence or is it a part of your total approach to carrying?
    The reason I ask is because that tourniquet itself, and the idea of having one on your person, in conjunction with your weapons, is, quite simply, brilliant.
    It's also not something I've ever seen mentioned by anyone in relation to surving an armed encounter and the immediate aftermath of it. I'd venture to say that simple tool has the potential to be just as lifesaving as a handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by waipapa13 View Post
    Out of curiosity are you in the medical field and carrying that by coincidence or is it a part of your total approach to carrying?
    Both.

However, carrying a tourniquet definitely came from the shooting side of the house. The whole time I was in nursing school it was preached to us that a TQ is a last resort because it can cause nerve damage. True, but if my options are having nerve damage in 4-6 hours with a TQ, or bleeding out in 1-3 minutes without a TQ, guess which one I prefer...lol.

I will say, the RATS is definitely not the best TQ on the market, which is why my vehicle and bags are stocked with CATs and SOF-Ts.....HOWEVER, a RATS that is in my back pocket 24/7 is much better than the SOF-T or CAT that's in my trunk, center console, or range bag......and it's certainly better that trying to improvise a TQ while someone (perhaps myself) is in the process of bleeding out from arterial wound to an extremity.

And if you run out of boolits and the knife blade snaps off, you have a pocket garrote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.
    NRA Endowment Member

Only own one but it's all I Need. Clearly I'd still like about 50 more. Till then I'm quite happy with my Walther P99c QA with Talon Grips and Trijicon sights. 10+1 HST 124g. 15rd backup mag with grip adaptor loaded with Speer Gold Dots 124g +P.
    IMG_0940.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are your 3 favorite carry guns?

Double post sorry
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tourniquet is a good idea. If you can make a hole you might as well be able to fix a hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    So, what are your 3 favorite or most often carried handguns? You may expound as to why if you so choose.
    Every Day Carry (IWB): Kel-Tec P32 with 10-round extended magazine.

Pocket Carry: Beretta Tomcat.

Detroit Special: Beretta Nano with 8-round extended magazine.
    Last edited by Skolnick; 10-04-2016 at 12:04 AM.

Glock 19, 26 or for pocket carry Ruger LC9s. If I just want to open carry and show off its Dan Wesson Pointman (stainless).

Skolnick:

Welcome aboard
    Someone please play Jingle Bells

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    Both.

However, carrying a tourniquet definitely came from the shooting side of the house. The whole time I was in nursing school it was preached to us that a TQ is a last resort because it can cause nerve damage. True, but if my options are having nerve damage in 4-6 hours with a TQ, or bleeding out in 1-3 minutes without a TQ, guess which one I prefer...lol.

I will say, the RATS is definitely not the best TQ on the market, which is why my vehicle and bags are stocked with CATs and SOF-Ts.....HOWEVER, a RATS that is in my back pocket 24/7 is much better than the SOF-T or CAT that's in my trunk, center console, or range bag......and it's certainly better that trying to improvise a TQ while someone (perhaps myself) is in the process of bleeding out from arterial wound to an extremity.
    Interesting approach....My EMS experience in the distant past still leads meto keep a blowout kit in the truck. (For inquiring minds...a "blowout kit" is a small kit specifically geared to treating gunshot wounds...containing tourniquets, occulive dressings, quik-clot, etc....)
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post
    Welcome aboard

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Skolnick View Post
    Every Day Carry (IWB): Kel-Tec P32 with 10-round extended magazine.

Pocket Carry: Beretta Tomcat.

Detroit Special: Beretta Nano with 8-round extended magazine.
    Welcome!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Ruger LCP and Keltec 9mm, both which I'm reconsidering after shooting yesterday at the range in between letting my Remington 700 cool down. The triggers mile long pull made for terrible shooting even at 7 yards. I'm sure they are good enough to dump a mag center mass, but still.
    Answer: Ruger LC9S Pro.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug

Add the Glock 23 to my list.
    Now I have 3
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

#1 - Smith and Wesson bodyguard .380, pocket carry. #2 - Ruger LC9 - pocket carry. #3 - Springfield XDS - .45 - super tuck.

I have carried the same .45 pistol for over 25 years. I believe in carrying one gun, so you are always familiar with it, have qualified with it a lot, can take it down and clean it and assemble it instinctively. You handle it so much that it is almost a part of you. Though I have a safe full of guns, I chose this one for off duty carry when I was working, and after retirement. I know it will work, and I know I can put that round where it needs to go. Just my opinion.