Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Concealed Carry Firearms... some points to ponder

Re: Concealed Carry Firearms... some points to ponder

When I went to buy my first handgun I went to a long-time family owned sporting goods store that has a fairly large gun counter. I had the good fortune of having an older guy who was a retired border patrolman help me. I told him I knew nothing about firearms but want to get a handgun for HD. He brought out three, all in 9mm, a Sig, a Glock, and a Springfield. All "full size". The Sig was obviously very nice but way out of my budget range, the Glock had a very good rep from my sales guy, but didn't feel good in my hand and though irrelevant I thought was butt-ugly, but the Springfield had good rep also and fit hand and budget well. The sales guy was very kind and took the time to show me basic field strip breakdown, cleaning and ammo needs. So, a week later, very excited but feeling like I had just joined The Dark Side, I began. After a friend at work had shown me a spot up on the mountain to shoot, I practiced and practiced every week until I felt I could actually hit something with a fair bit of confidence. Not long after I got a Mossberg 500, also "for HD" and quickly discovered the delightful joys of really being able to blast stuff, but also learned its limitations.

Well it wasn't long before I wanted to start carrying, so the wife and I (she was all gung-ho at the time) went and got our carry licenses, and I started try to carry my XD9, first on the hip (hadn't discovered good holsters yet) and after that hadn't worked out well, then tried to carry with a shoulder rig (nylon, very uncomfortable) which really wasn't working out either, and obviously wasn't going to work for warm weather. So, I started investigation of the idea of a smaller, yet hopefully accurate and reliable gun for carry. I chose the XDs .45 and the wife chose the Ruger LC380. Once again I practiced and practiced, and found the XDs to be everything I wanted, put into a DeSantis holster good for comfortable conceal even in warm weather, fairly accurate out to 40ft., and reliable, plus the power of the venerable .45 cartridge. Good to go. And I'm still using it to this day. The wife's LC380 though, different story. We took it out numerous times trying to "get the feel" of it, both of us. We found the recoil to be snappy and obnoxious, the trigger pull way too long, and the accuracy all over the place even at only 7yds. It was (is, we still have it, sitting in the corner of the safe) however, reliable. It goes bang every time, thats about it. We eventually got the wife a Charter Arms .38 snubby "Undercover" model, put some Hogue grips on it, and she is absolutely deadly with it, far better than me. I still want to upgrade her to a S&W.

Quote Originally Posted by horselips View Post
    I don't know if I qualify for a bona-fide 'hoot' or not, but with both my micro-sized pocket pistols, I can perform the 5-5-5-5 drill. That's 5 rounds in a 5 inch circle at 5 yards in 5 seconds. OK, now that I'm older, and on a bad day, maybe 6 or 7 seconds. But most often I can do it in 5. The ergonomics of the Taurus 738 are so good (and so much better than either the Keltec P3AT or the Ruger LCP) it's actually pretty easy to do, and yes, even with the NAA Mini Revolver it's usually not a problem unless my arthritis flares up.

No, I don't practice much for longer distances - 7 yards is max. Shooting someone further away than that might be problematic to my local D.A. And I don't practice diving on the ground and rolling while shooting at a moving target. Nor do I bother shooting with my weak hand, or trying to change magazines or rack the pistol's slide with one hand. None of that worst-case-scenario stuff. I'm not the guy to call when a flash mob or rioters or terrorists strike. But for straight-up CQB with a mugger or two at my ATM, or a carjacker, or an unsuspecting mass shooter going postal at my favorite restaurant, theater, Lodge or wherever, I might be just what the situation called for. If not, se la vie.

Do I get a 'hoot?'

(Didn't think so.)
    Hoo-Hooot. More power to you for doing whatever the hell you want to do, in spite of what the experts say. I'm not an expert - I just think that inexperienced shooters can't hit jack-shiite with a subcompact.

Quote Originally Posted by bisley View Post
    Hoo-Hooot. More power to you for doing whatever the hell you want to do, in spite of what the experts say. I'm not an expert - I just think that inexperienced shooters can't hit jack-shiite with a subcompact.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunnin...3Kruger_effect

I think this is way more common than folks thing. Kinda like Bigslug's recounting that 75% or so of drivers think they're better than average....
    Overkill is underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunnin...3Kruger_effect

I think this is way more common than folks thing. Kinda like Bigslug's recounting that 75% or so of drivers think they're better than average....

100%

Shoot the pistol or revolver you plain on carrying. Practice moving and shooting from different positions. Practice shooting small as you don't know if someone maybe wired with a sucide belt..Practice headshots.Most encounters are usually just a few feet so shooting what you carry practice point shooting or instinctive and see where you hit the target.This will build your muscle memory and improve accuracy.

IMO, the average CC noob has little real experience, and may or may not

be a victim to over hyped products or calibers. They perhaps, for instance,

assume that all CC folks use a small gun, in a smaller caliber, like a .32,

or a 380. Or perhaps they get it drilled into their head that a 9mm is

the best way to go.

Many of us figure that rather than muddy the water, let the person get something

they can use for CC which is close to their perception, rather than the reality, of

CC.

I've been around the block a couple times, and I sometimes carry a

FN Five seveN. Now do you really think the average noob is going

to go for one of those?

Well, if the noob in question thought the 5.7 was what was required, why not?

I suppose I understand the desire of somebody new to shooting/carrying to want something in a smaller caliber, with an eye toward less noise and recoil. The fact that guns might not work that way is lost on them.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin

Practice with what you carry.Practice ,practice.

I started carrying a firearm back in the 80's when I lived in South Florida and the Drugs were running rampant. During the time of Miami Vice on TV. I had training with firearms since I was 12 y.o.

A primary decision to begin, is if you are not willing to use deadly force do not carry a firearm
    IMO anyone that decides to carry a firearm should commit to training and a complete study of all of the facets involved with carrying. Seek out knowledgeable firearms people, go to a range that offers different firearms to help in selection before buying. Proper selection is a very important decision both for effectiveness, carrying frequently vs. leaving at home, your competence for accuracy. Research holsters including sturdy belts, and research dress attire for proper concealment of you firearm.

I recommend taking a course in the use of a firearm and different scenarios when you can proper use deadly force. Before you start shooting, be aware of what is behind the person you shoot at so not to injure an innocent person and what the background is that will stop the bullet if you miss.

I also recommend having an Umbrella Insurance Policy to protect you against liability from negligent use of deadly force.
    This is what I would discuss with anyone considering a firearm for self defense.

I choose to carry either my Colt Lt. Wt. Ofc. .45 or my Colt Commander .45 with Crimson Trace grips seldom with a spare mag. I have found that I am not as accurate with pocket guns that are light weight. Yes they are easier to conceal, but are not my best choice. As I have gotten older I have a slight hand tremor and a light firearm allows more difficulty in steady aim than a heavier firearm, easier to steady, which my Crimson Trace provides where the bullet is more likely to impact.

In my case I carry every time I leave the house, and a cell phone only is not as effective if the Excrement hits the rotating object. My past Boy Scout always taught me to Be Prepared.

My belief is to carry what you can carry concealed. Going to the topic of this thread. Shoot what you carry at SD range, which is about five or six yards at the most. And will likely be panic shooting on your part.

Practice (IMO) at what the likely scenarios will probably be...not running and shooting, just flat out putting some lead into the target at close range. You can Google instances of SD shooting and figure it out and probably face a reality check. Unless you're competing in combat courses, concentrate on what you will almost certainly use in the very unlikely event you're going to need it.

Small guns are fine, IMO, since you're more likely to carry one, and a CCW depends heavily on the first "C." If you can hit at six or seven yards quickly in the K5, you're good to go. Shoot fast and shoot often and in the unlikely event you'll need it, you'll be good.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06